classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2295 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 115
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

grumpin
Same as Ray. If it’s vertical, yes, if not I don’t put any oil in it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
When changing oil on the 4.9L engine, with horizontal filter, I fill the filter almost full and while lubricating the gasket from that same source of oil, the oil is absorbed by the filter substrate and does not make a mess when installed. So, the filter still has some air space, but is more quickly filled than a bone-dry filter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Cancer sucks.

Mother in law is officially diagnosed with breast cancer. Its pretty far along too. Surgery will happen soon. They found the cancer is in her blood and able to migrate. She has been having abdominal pain. Poor woman. She raised four kids, had a husband that ran around on her, gambled, cheated, lied, and left her high and dry once the kids were out of school. She was left with no work history and no skills. 63 years old, working full time minimum wage labor jobs, no retirement savings.

I will be in and out of Tulsa Gary. I may swing in if I have time. Next trip is to get Holly some time with her mom while I try to fix up her moms beater old camry. It needs a lot of work. Im going to get her something better, but need to sell my oklahoma house first. I just need to get her car through a couple more months.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - That’s awful!   Very sorry to see that. You folks will be in my prayers.

I look forward to seeing you. Safe travels.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry to hear that Ray.  

I hope you and Holly can lend some comfort.

Also, best of luck quickly unloading your rental 'albatross'.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
In Ford pickup truck news.......

In addition to the new pickup emoji (Blue's mini me)

Ford has put their new battery electric in the spotlight.
Towing the heaviest load ever by a fully electric vehicle.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/ford-shows-off-electric-f-150-truck-by-towing-a-million-pounds-of-train/

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-49089887/will-ford-s-new-truck-persuade-people-to-go-electric?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-map
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
In Ford pickup truck news.......

Ford has put their new battery electric in the spotlight.
Towing the heaviest load ever by a fully electric vehicle.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/ford-shows-off-electric-f-150-truck-by-towing-a-million-pounds-of-train/
That's pretty cool, but not at all surprising; anyone who knows anything about electric traction knows they can pull a LOT off the line.  Case in point: I spent a couple of weeks during the 1987 Christmas season working air freight for Eastern Airlines, and we were pulling multi-ton pallets of freight for KLM 747s with these little tiny electric tugs.  The battery-powered forklifts were impressive, too.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh absolutely.
But what IS impressive is that the little pickup DID have traction enough to shift one and a quarter million pounds.

Four tiny spots of rubber with, what, 5-6,000 pounds of downforce * in total?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Four tiny spots of rubber with, what, 5-6,000 pounds of downforce?
Agreed.  In fact, they're probably the real star of the video, not the F-150.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It's gonna take me a long time to warm up to electric vehicles, but I'm definitely not against them. Might as well make driving trucks 100% effortless since we can't have manual transmissions in full size pickups anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm already hot for 100% torque from 0 rpms.  😎

The ideal first adopters would be companies with fleets that return home at the end of the work day, and have plenty of low speed start and stop.
Minimize drag and lots of regeneration.

The Post Office could save zillions on gasoline, oil changes, brakes and transmission service alone.

A van would be perfect for plumbing and electrician companies.
No worries about range, and all those recurring maintenance savings.
No fuel, ignition, exhaust systems. Simplified cooling and climate control.

Ford has committed serious bucks to redeveloping Detroit's abandoned rail station into their new hub for electric vehicle R&D.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Tesla already has a PR stunt where they pull a KLM airliner with a model S.

You do realize how little rolling resistance trains have, right?
Smooth steel wheels on polished steel rails = almost nothing for friction or deformation.
You just need to overcome the inertia of it sitting there.

It would be like pulling a heavy sledge in off the ice.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
While going to college I worked for the Scanty Pay Railway, aka AT&SF.  And I've pushed rail cars by hand.  If they are already moving it really isn't that bad, and if they are light like a caboose then they can be started rolling with steady pressure.

But, I admit that I was just out of HS football and my legs were pretty stout back then.  So putting my back to something and pushing with my legs generated quite a bit of force.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
I can remember being in high school and an avid bicyclist.

I would clear the entire leg press on the universal machine.(*1350# iirc)
Even the football team was impressed when I launched across the room because the seat I was clinging so tightly to let go.  

I did just what you said (back into it, pushing) a HUGE station wagon with seven drunk guys in it, off my gas pump apron one night.

Lol! The things I've seen and experienced.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the things.....

In high school I was an amateur radio operator - ham.  I was given a 44' triangular tower made out of pipe and a reinforcing rod laced between the pipes.  I dug and poured a base for it in the back yard and then rigged a rope/pulley arrangement from the tower to a tree.  But the folks' '64 Sword wouldn't pull it up due to lack of traction, so I did it myself.  I remember Dad saying "What have I wrought?"

It is amazing what you can move if you get in the right position.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, the things.....

In high school I was an amateur radio operator - ham.
You can meet some interesting people via ham radio, and not by the usual methods even.  When I was trying to get my truck out of the Publix parking lot last week, I asked an older gentleman for a jump start (I didn't expect it to work, and it didn't...but it would have been foolish not to try).  After the jump failed he moved his car back to the shady spot he had picked, and as he was then walking toward the grocery store he noticed my radio plate.  So he stopped to chat - turns out he's had an amateur license since the '50s (I'd guess he was around 80 or so), and we talked a bit about ham radio back in the day.  He also told me a funny story about trying to get a PR job at Eastern Air Lines back in the '60s.  A pleasant interlude in what was otherwise a very irritating afternoon.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I "met" a lot of nice people back then via amateur radio.  Kinda like here?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Radio, amateur was a big thing back then, hence Fry's and the 'Shack.

It's amazing where you could go on 100w with the right atmosphere.

I carry only a tech endorsement, because of the DX and downlinks I used to do with rocketry before cell phones became widespread.

Now anyone can get a live feed and (subsonic) tracking for the cost of a burner and loading an app.

The world has changed!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The world has changed!
That's the truth!  Especially in radio...now so much of the activity is via the internet and software-defined radios.  For me, the whole point of ham radio is being able to talk when the phones/internet/power grid are down, why would I want my radio to be tied in to all of that?  Grrr.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
73 buddy!  

I like field days.

SDR and internet radio repeaters kinda miss the point.

But antenna software and the cool things you can do with beam forming now are amazing.
 Jim,
1 ... 567891011 ... 115