Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Camano Experience

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That sound's like a good plan.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
Just read over it. That's great to have!

Chanute has the now defunct dealer ac with the controls there. Planning to scavenge the parts from it and mimic the font/design of the bezel for the brake controller and gvod controls.
Do you have a parts truck with dealer AC?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yeah, two trucks that I know of off hand. My 80 F350 has the cubby controls and then I have an 85 that has the more integrated option from the dealer where it looks seamless with an actual ac cluster bezel, the hvac controls, and the full size passenger vents.

The 80 is my daily driver right now but I won't ever put ac back in it so taking out the controls innerds won't be missed.

Do you have dealer in yours?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
Do you have dealer in yours?
No, I don't have any AC, factory OR dealer installed. I'm toying around with installing an aftermarket system, but I'd still like to keep it relatively factory looking inside. Finding a factory AC instrument bezel isn't really a big deal, but finding factory looking vents for the passenger side is a bit more of a challenge. Finding a Bullnose dash with factory AC around here is next to impossible, so I was thinking if I could find a set of dealer AC vents, I could go that route. If you happen to have any of the dealer vents you want to sell let me know. If you're keeping them for your own spare parts, no worries, I understand that.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Sorry, never saw this response. As fate would have it, a week ago I was in the jy killing time and decided to take photos of all the dealer ac combinations I found. That also included grabbing a few of the variations of passenger vents and driver side vent bezels (not the full true AC bezel).

I have been meaning to do a photo dump thread of them so will try to do so tonight. If you see any of the passenger side vents you want, just let me know and they are yours. I wasn't able to find the passenger side all-in-one bezel that wasn't cracked aside from my grandfathers -can't part that one out but if that's the kind you are looking for, I can keep an eye out. Will update this post with a link to the photo dump post later.

Update - went out to the shop and looked but guess I only grabbed the set of passenger vents that have the little lip rolling up on the center embossed plastic of the dash. Happy to pick up any others the next time I am there.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dealer-Aftermarket-AC-Photos-tp44293.html
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Oh, I didn't see this until after I already replied to your other thread. Thanks for sharing the pics, that's great!

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Hey TheScatch,
Finally got around to taking apart the hvac control -been working in the <a href="http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td41757i20|a44008">steering column but now that is all back together so started on this project.

Taking it apart is a snap. Used an x-acto knife around the edge of the bezel and it came right off.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to recolor the red/blue as they are 'sheets' adhered to the back and don't look conducive to removal.

Ideally, would be if that company could not only make a black one but also make it sticky on the face.
Then if the original coloring can be removed (might be a big IF), the new one can be installed and the plate glued/screwed back on.

Going to run by the locksmith tonight and see if they can rekey the locking hood latch I pulled from a jy truck. Unfortunately I don't have a key for it. One of my parts trucks has one (with a key) but would rather leave it functional if I can.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
If the company makes them thin enough I don't see it being a problem to put over the old set. If the old set is just glued on, maybe some naptha would loosen it. Need to reach out and ask them if the sheets are adhesive and how thin they are, they could just be decals.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The problem is that the only way it can go on over the old is if it is on the face (like the company designed them for). I don't want to lose the depth of the clear plastic by doing that though.
Ill see if I can find a really bad one in the jy to tear up. Not sure how to describe how it's attached other than something akin to screen print. Thoughts on removing something like that? Still naptha? Wet sand?

I coated the 4 arms/levers last night and assembled it this evening. In case I ever need to take them apart again I opted to use hairpin clips on the big ones and button head bolts/lock nuts for the side ones. Used mylar washers in all locations. They all move nice and smooth.
Noticed some of the dealer HVAC controls used screws to hold the face plate on (since they came as an interchangeable kit) but they had more of a border. Will have to see if four tiny screws in the corners will hold it securely.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - You do amazing work!  It is so well done.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Gary. It's been fun taking any mystery out of the parts and hopefully the photos will help someone someday.

I had dropped the locking hood latch off at the locksmith the other day and they called me this morning saying they had made a key for it but couldn't get the tumbler out to rekey to my door. I think they just don't work with older stuff. This evening I took the tumbler out (key in and turned, paperclip in the hole pushing the spring loaded pin down and then rotate further). I don't really want a locking hood but rather want the chromed handle so not rekeying it is actually preferred. I removed all the wafers and then reinserted the tumbler. This allows the key to be removed even with it in the unlock position.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Should work nicely.  But save the wafers.  I've read that if you have the right combo of them you can re-key any of the tumblers.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
So the door locks have the same wafers?While I don't care about the lock now, I might in the future so grabbing a few door locks might be good.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Door and ignition cylinders have standard diameter pins.
I sent one of my keying sets to Bill (lebaront2) so he could rekey some tumblers.

Later trucks have the same keyway in the doors as the ignition.
I wanted to do away with the oval key, so i bought a set of later door cylinders and rekeyed them to my ignition cylinder.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So the door and ignition tumblers have pins and not wafers.  My bad.  

But having a bunch of spare units would give extra pins.  Right?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, it would.

If you want to get real caveman you can put long pins in the ones you don't have and file them flush to the cylinder.
Then clean everything out and deburr the pins you made fit.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I did some quick searching around and it looks like there are a few different kind of wafers for Ford (A-42-100, A-42-104, A-42-200).
Any idea what the correct one for these would be?

Also, are there any years where the door or ignition would be wafers?

What about the glovebox locks on 80-86? Are those wafers?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
NOS ignition switch arrived today so I got the steering column all wrapped up.
Before:

After:

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Spent the morning in the jy and pulled a few hvac controls.
I am leaning towards using the faceplate from an earlier year as I like the dashes vs the wedges.

There is a good thread on the differences from 2017 I believe.

I am not looking to disable the circulation at the moment so keeping all the 86 innards and just needing to swap some of the vacuum lines for vent, max, and norm.

Suggestions on the best/cleanest way to do this?

Just cut and rejoin with a vacuum line adapter?

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, that steering column is a work of art!  (Did you adjust the new switch?)

kramttocs wrote
There is a good thread on the differences from 2017 I believe.

I am not looking to disable the circulation at the moment so keeping all the 86 innards and just needing to swap some of the vacuum lines for vent, max, and norm.

Suggestions on the best/cleanest way to do this?

Just cut and rejoin with a vacuum line adapter?

But I'm not sure I understand about the thread.  Do you have a link?

And, I know I don't understand about swapping the vacuum lines.  But, I'll guess that you are using an earlier control in place of a later one.  If I remember correctly, the vacuum lines themselves are the same, but the connector to the control is different.  So I think you can swap the controls as long as you use the earlier vacuum connector and hoses.

Or, has the three football games today lowered my already limited intelligence to a new low?  

1 ... 3456789 ... 32