1 ... 3456789 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Old Blue - 1984 Flareside

ckuske
Administrator
So simple, even I could find it.  

Thanks Gary!  I hope this reduces confusion for some poor soul in the future.

I put a call into Green Sales, they're sending me a picture of the part right now and I'll send an update after that
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a lot of hidden gems on the site, and I didn't want that one to be yet another one.  Glad you could find it.

And there aren't numbers on these parts that I can find, or not ones that seem to identify them, so pictures would be very helpful if the part isn't in a package with a # on it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Guys -

Just got an email back from Green Sales, and it's good news.  They are charging $10 (plus shipping) for these, and they supposedly have quantity 30.  I'm getting mine today!  Picture below is from them after they pulled one from stock

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the guy!  And that's a great price.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
It is.  And the rubber looks at least 10x better than what's in the engine compartment at the moment.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Will call them tomorrow and order mine. Thanks for the leg work!
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Just in case anyone else runs into a fitment with the heater core on a similar truck, I got my (second) heater core.  This one fits well.  Got it from RockAuto, the part number is APDI/PRO 9010205.

In the firewall, there was some sort of insulator material but it was.. I don't know how to even say it.  Done is all I can think of haha.  A black spongy material, but smelled of oil and it crumbled in my hand (yet was sticky).  I don't know if this was supposed to be there, or it was added on a previous repair.

That being said, do you guys use some sort of expandable foam or something to seal the area that the heater core pipes come into the engine bay?  Thanks!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used The Right Stuff to seal the pipes on Big Blue.  It expands a bit, but not like the spray foam, and gives a flexible gasket.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Sounds like it'll fit the bill.  Thanks Gary!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
OK, so I've been able to make a little bit of progress on my cooling system replacement.

I was able to remove the drain the radiator, and remove it along with the fan shroud.  I had never removed something that had a flare nut on it (trans cooler lines) so that was fun.  WD40 was involved.

Now, I'm trying to remove all the belts so I can remove the fan clutch, and replace the water pump and thermostat.  I have loosed all the bolts on the power steering pump - I believe the bolt on the lower left hand side of the pump is the one that allows the pump to pivot towards the engine so the bolt loosens and moves on a crescent shaped channel towards the block.  

I've tried to move the pump, and it's just not budging.  Any tips?  This is Mechanics 101 for a lot of you, but I'm constantly learning in here, so thanks!   As a reminder, this is a 302 with air and a smog pump as well (if you want to anticipate further belt removal questions from me, haha)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Oh, if you look at the beginning of my thread I commented about A/C not working.  I determined today that both high and low sides of the system do not have any pressure (quickly pressed down on the valve stem, and nothing came out).  I'm assuming that basically all the refrigerant is missing.  Not going to diagnose the leak right now, but I figured it might be a good time to swap out for a new condenser since I'm working on everything from the water pump forward.

I don't want to pollute more than I have to, so my question is:  If there is no pressure, can I freely swap A/C components out or should I still have it evacuated as a precaution?  Is any refrigerant lurking in the system in other words...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Chris - I think the long bolt, 383721, that is shown in the illustration below just above the pulley is what it rotates on.  And it slides on 370608.  So both of those have to be loosened.  And bracket 3A732 as well as the pump itself rotates.

As for the A/C, if you pushed the valve and there's no pressure then there's really nothing left to recover.  So you can pull the condenser and replace it.  But I wouldn't leave the system open for any longer than you have to as that allows moisture and other things to get in.

But, there's really not much to a condenser.  It is just a long tube with fins welded to it.  So there's not much to go wrong.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thank you Gary!  Loosened those bolts a little more and then “helped” the bracket with a hammer. :)

It then pivoted and the belt came right off.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad it worked.  

I forgot to say that I think there's a square hole in that bracket for a ratchet to fit into so you can tension the belt.  I think it is 1/2".

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary, I saw that in the Haynes manual I purchased.  Not totally in love with it though, but cross referencing between it and the drawing on your site makes it go for the most part.  I wasn't expecting to have to take off the A/C and PS bracket so that was fun.  

I had to stop to BBQ for dinner tonight, but I got seven water pump bolts out.  Most were just over hand tight which was concerning.  There was grease all over them - threads included.  I'm sure that didn't help.  I understand you can grease the shoulder (non-threaded area) so they don't seize, but the whole thing?  

I believe I have all the bolts out (got distracted like I said), but I must not because the pump isn't budging.  Aside from me missing one, how hard should it be to get the pump off?  Should it almost fall off, or is some effort expected?

And don't get me started on the radiator hoses - I pull with pretty much all I've got and they won't come off.   Any tricks?  I can cut them off as I don't plan on reusing them, but was wondering if there was a trick.

I hope you all are enjoying your Sunday!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - The fact that the bolts had the grease on the is probably why you got them out without twisting them off. They frequently rust and seize if not thoroughly lubed.

I have always used anti-seize all over them, and that works, but Jim recently introduced me to Loctite PST, which is good for preventing seizing.

As for getting the pump off, I’ve had to whack them with a mallet.

And getting hoses off usually requires slipping a small screwdriver under it and prying up. Work all the way around, breaking the tension.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I use one of these. Very handy tool. Poor picture on the website. I’ll add mine.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Soft-Grip-Hose-Picks/Soft-Grip-Radiator-Hose-Pick/SGA173BR

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback!  I have something similar lying around in the garage, I'll have to find it.  Never occurred to me to use that, but makes perfect sense!  

Got the water pump knocked loose - just needed a couple light slams haha.  I keep having to remember myself that lots of this stuff on this truck is more durable than what I'm used to in my day job...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
OK guys, I've gotten the water pump off and I'm gonna start scraping off the old gasket material, and order parts.

I've hit a snag with the A/C condenser though - I'm using a 3/4" open end wrench on one nut, and an adjustable wrench on the other (1" maybe?) and I cannot get the A/C lines off the condenser not matter how hard I try.  I've tried WD-40 (not really rusty though) and I can't get them to budge on either line (from compressor to condenser, and accumulator to condenser).  

Any suggestions?

Even though nothing comes out of the A/C servicing ports, I'm afraid that perhaps its still pressurized and that's why I can't loosen the fittings (this is probably a remote thing IMO though)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They can be a bear to get apart.  I think I held one wrench and hit the other with a mallet or dead-blow hammer to get some loose.  And I remember getting other wrenches positioned where I could squeeze them together with both hands, making sure that I didn't get fingers in between them.

1 ... 3456789 ... 28