Re: Nutmeg interior - upgrade

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

delco1946
Based off that part number i (think) this should be a red 1985 passenger armrest. Soooo wrong part number. It could be nutmeg but gee whiz its seen better days!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
If you happen to find more than you need in the nutmeg color I need door panels also and a left side arm rest in nutmeg. Mine has manual locks and windows.
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Door panels in good shape have been hard for me to find, either nos or at the junk yard. I have been pulling a lot of parts from the few nutmeg interiors I find but no doors or pads as of yet. I’ll keep you in mind.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by delco1946
did you ever find nutmeg LVP?

Mine was chestnut and I converted everything to saddle tan with the stuff from LMC. Cleaner>Prep>Adhesion promoter>Paint>paint>paint>clearcoat>clearcoat. Came out looking good.

I also have a left over carpet that looks pretty close to nutmeg if you check my for sale lists.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
you've got a great memory! I've found kick panels from the junk yard so i'm set on those.

The door panels are probably the most elusive - especially in good shape. Its hard to tell from the pictures what color these were originally - they look too brown.

For $20 for NOS it sounds like a good insurance policy just to have. My visors are sagging tho - i wonder does this include/come with the mount? I can't see it, if it does. That may be a separate issue i suppose if i need to find the mount with a new/stronger spring....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might consider going with the later sun visors that have the inboard support.  They are a really nice upgrade to our trucks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
I thought about doing the sun visor upgrade but after looking at the junk yards I noticed the later trucks have an impression that the earlier trucks do not have for mounting the inner retaining bracket. When you do this on the earlier trucks are you just mounting it to the curve of the roof I take?

Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I installed the visor, clipped the inboard bracket to the visor, marked and drilled the holes, and installed the bracket.  No problem at all.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
Must be more right sides out there then left sides. Still looking for left side but have found more than several right sides.
Eddie,
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Well I think I may have literally got the last two nutmeg panels as new old stock from a warehouse,  but I wanted to share in case others might be looking. The dates your nos was made matters I guess, and I have never thought about it before. Both my door panels came in their original boxes and with the correct part numbers. One is dated 1982 and is solid nutmeg colored plastic. It is beeutifuullllll!

The other is from a box dated 1990 aka 8 years after this 2 year color was discontinued. One must assume Ford continued to manufacture parts for ongoing support, of course. This panel is not solid nutmeg, however. It was very clearly spay painted over black. I guess this makes sense for uncommon colors as that is certainly cheaper than retaining the ability to manufacture old parts using solid color plastics.

Anyway, I was disappointed but it still looks decent until I scuff it too hard or the paint chips more. I’m willing to bet this is the case for any similar parts produced after their original run, especially in uncommon colors, so if you’re in the market, just be aware.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's good to know.  Are the two colors pretty close to each other?

I sprayed SEM's blue over my black panels and they came out great.  So if at some point you have to repaint that's what I'd recommend.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
It’s a pretty close match yup! If they’re side by side you can tell the painted one looks a bit less “brilliant” or duller if that makes sense.  

But considering the rest of the interior is different shades depending on sun exposure it’s all good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
From the factory each panel was a different shade.  Someone recently asked if that Bullnose that went for $97K had been restored, and I looked at the interior and said NO!  If it had been restored someone would have painted all the panels and they would have matched.  But, they didn't, and that is the way they came from the factory.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
My plan is to go to the junkyard this weekend - a new truck is there with nutmeg interior. I’m will to pull any remaining items it folks pay for the item and shipping.  

I’m looking at you 81f100custom