classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nothing Special home ('wheeling) movies

Nothing Special
This post was updated on .
We got our first video camera in between my first 'wheeling trip in 1987 and my second in 1993, so all of my 'wheeling trips other than the first one have been partly documented on video.  However I've never had a good way to share them.  This weekend I finally started a YouTube channel with the same name as my screen name here, Nothing Special.

That name REALLY fits my videos!  The amateur nature of the camera work is only surpassed by the amateur nature of the editing!  And the 'wheeling, especially at the beginning, is pretty mild by most YouTube standards.

Still, mild 'wheeling to some is over-the-top for others, so maybe some people will get something out of this.  They certainly show that you don't need to be an expert (either at 'wheeling or at making videos!) to have fun.  So if you're interested, I hope you like them.  If they're not your cup of tea, that's OK too.

I started loading videos chronologically, so right now I only have two videos from my second 'wheeling trip.  This was a trip out to Colorado in July 1993 with a pretty big group of friends but only two trail rigs, a pair of CJ5s.  Mine (the red one) had a 258 six, close ratio T-18 4 speed, stock model 20 t.case, rear Dana 44 with 4.27 gears and a Detroit locker, stock Dana 30 front with an open diff and 235/85-16E BFG Mud-Terrains (~32" tall).  I had just finished building it a few weeks before this trip and really didn't have the carb dialed in yet.  I stalled it OFTEN from sloshing fuel out of the float bowls and flooding it out.

My friend's CJ5 had a 258 with a 3 speed, open diffs and 31" BFG M/Ts.

This first video is of Spring Creek Trail outside of Idaho Springs.  It was pretty mild 28 years ago (not so much any more), but still a pretty good challenge for us as beginners.

https://youtu.be/Sel3X0vgrGw

This second video is of a trail called South Halfmoon Creek near Leadville.  It was more of a scenic trail than a serious challenge (I haven't seen it in years so I don't know what it's like now), but it was a good trail for us at that time.  I had figured out that dropping the float levels kept me from flooding out so often, but there's not much video of my Jeep in this one because my wife rode most of the way (we did get my friend's Jeep when we stopped to watch him go through the most interesting spots).

https://youtu.be/VxCMk4rQG0Y

So anyway, there it is.  I'll be adding the rest of my trips as I get around to it.  Once I get caught up I'll be adding a lot slower as I actually do new stuff.  Thanks for reading and watching!

edit:  It looks like I must be doing something wrong with the embedded video, so try the links, they should work

edit 2: the embedded videos should work now, thanks Gary!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nothing Special home ('wheeling) movies

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - The links work, and are as good as embedding the videos here.  But if you want to know how to do it I'll explain - in the morning.  I'm headed to bed soon and have absolutely JUST gotten the forum back on line after fighting it all day.

But, I'll certainly watch them in the morning.  Looking forward to it, for sure.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'm watching the videos now.  And some thoughts:

Your buddy's Jeep seems to be having a bit of problem right out of the chute getting over things.  Is it due to the open diffs?  And later, around the 10 minute mark on the first video he really struggles.

What power steering pump were you running, a C-II?  And it is hilarious that you said "Don't stall it" right where you'd stalled.  

Were both of you aired down?  It sure seems like there is a lot of bouncing.  But I do see that the trail was really, really rocky.

And did your buddy make it?  The first video stops with him having problems!  And so does the 2nd video!

Anyway, I like them!  Keep them coming.  And do you want to know how to embed?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I had written up a reply to all of your questions, but apparently hit the wrong button at the end and deleted it.  I'll try again at lunch time.  But for now, yes, I would like to know how to embed videos.  I think that's a nicer way to see it than just a link.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
On Youtube it is easy:
  1. Open up the Youtube video you want
  2. Click "Share"
  3. Click "Embed"
  4. Copy the Embed Video code you are shown, which starts with "<iframe" and ends with "/iframe>".
  5. In the editing window here on the forum click the "Embed" button.
  6. Paste the embed code between the "tags" that are inserted, as shown below

But here's a bit more on that. In your video's case the code says 'width="560"' and "height=315"'. But I find that too small so usually increase it to twice that, meaning 1120 and 630. And, if you tick the "Start at" box before copying the embed code there will be a "start=" parameter added to your code, and then you can hit Preview and play with that parameter to get it to start where you want. Or, set it to 0 to start from the beginning.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Thanks, I fixed it in my first post

I'll get to your other questions now.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I removed it from my post.  No hurry on the answers.  Just curious.  And, waiting on more videos.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok, I'm watching the videos now.  And some thoughts:

Your buddy's Jeep seems to be having a bit of problem right out of the chute getting over things.  Is it due to the open diffs?  And later, around the 10 minute mark on the first video he really struggles.
He was handicapped by open diffs, a stiff suspension and lack of experience.  I had one locker and slightly more compliant suspension, but otherwise was similarly handicapped!

Gary Lewis wrote
What power steering pump were you running, a C-II?  And it is hilarious that you said "Don't stall it" right where you'd stalled.  
It was actually a Saginaw.  It was on the Jeep when I bought it.  It always had that annoying whine, but it always worked, so I never got around to replacing it.

And he was (good-naturedly) jabbing at me every time I stalled my Jeep, so I had to take advantage of the one time he let me get back at him!

Gary Lewis wrote
Were both of you aired down?  It sure seems like there is a lot of bouncing.  But I do see that the trail was really, really rocky.
I mentioned that we were both handicapped by inexperience!  Tire pressure was a part of that.  We also had quite a bit of highway driving to get to and from those trails, and had no way to air back up.  I was running ~30 psi (or whatever full street pressure I ran in those tires).  I don't know what he was running, but I'm sure it was a lot higher than I'd recommend now.

Gary Lewis wrote
And did your buddy make it?  The first video stops with him having problems!  And so does the 2nd video!
He did winch twice on the first trail.  The first time was to get up that little rough patch in the very first scene of the first video.  That was due to him having an incompetent spotter!  I was trying to get him up the same line I had taken, well to his left.  That worked for me with a rear locker, but with his open diffs he needed to move over to the right side.  (By the way, look at the picture below to see how much this trail has changed!)

I had intentionally stayed away from the right side because this was Lesley's first time on a shelf road and she was NOT amused at seeing I-70 1500 feet below her!

Steve's second winch was right after the end of the first video.  I'm sure we could've got him up, but he was ready to get past that section and took the quick way.

At the end of the second video he wasn't stuck at all, but he was set up for a line I didn't like from my perspective.  It looked like he was going to drop his left front off a rock while his right front climbed the bank.  That's a good way to roll (like the FJ-40 in the Black Bear video) so I stopped him.  He was able to back up and take a new line a little to his left.

Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, I like them!  Keep them coming.  And do you want to know how to embed?
Glad you like them!  As I said, my plan is to get all of my 'wheeling trips to date loaded.  I don't know how long that'll take me (it's not going to be a real high priority).  But I'll get there.

That little climb that the green Jeep was struggling with in the first scene of the first video has changed over the years!  The video shows it in 1993.  25 year later I ran that trail in my Bronco.  I reported on it here in this thread, but here's a picture of my Bronco coming down that same section!

Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess thinking back on it, the suspension on both Jeeps was somewhat stiff.  But I didn't catch that.  Still, airing down would have been a big help, and your locker surely made a huge difference.  However, glad to see he did make it through, albeit by winching a couple of times.  Been there, done that, and it was due to the same kind of incompetence.  

I've never heard a Sag pump make that kind of noise.  Initially I thought it was the t-case.  But it was obvious it was the pump as you were turning around.

As for stalling, both of you did several times.  But it was funny that he stalled where you did.  Seriously though, that is a big pain!  Until I blew out the carb's idle circuits Big Blue stalled several times, and it is kind of scary to lose the power brakes and steering on the side of a mountain.

Speaking of the side of the mountain, I thought that looked like I-70 below.  Janey wouldn't have liked that, either.

And wow, that section of the trail has really changed!  I would never have recognized it.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the angle your Bronco is at, and it might be worse in Big Blue.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Hey, we all had to start sometime!  This is just a record of where I started!

I was never too scared by it stalling.  With the relatively low gearing (but not low relative to my Bronco!) it just came to a stop.  But it was really annoying.  Still, finishing a build and taking it on a trip like that a few weeks later?  I think I did pretty well to get through as well as I did.

I said this in my 2018 trip report, but I was disappointed to not be able to get through this trail in what is by far the most capable trail vehicle I've had.  I made it in the Jeep twice, my bone stock '85 F-250 once, and a friend's bone stock '87 Wrangler once (although we didn't make it quit to where the video ends before turning around).  But the place where we both stalled in this video was eating 37" tall tires in 2018.  My 33s (with no rocker guards yet) didn't have a chance so we turned around.

As to the angle the Bronco was at in that picture, I didn't like it either!  I got on the gas as hard as I dared there to get it to pull its way back upright.  I probably wasn't THAT close to rolling over, but it sure felt TOO close!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  Yes, it is where you started, and that's surely well past where I started.

Sounds like my 33's and essentially no rocker guards wouldn't make it either.  (Have visions of turning the step bars into rocker guards at some point, which is partly why I reinforced the mounts so dramatically.)

As for the angle, having now seen the FJ go over I'm leery. I don't think I'd have gone where you did.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I probably wouldn't go there either if I knew what I was doing!

That was a few years ago and I don't remember everything perfectly, but it was at the end of the last day of a week-long 'wheeling trip.  I had really wanted to go over this trail for nostalgia reasons and I was turned back.  I think I was probably hurrying a bit too much and didn't spot this quite as well as I should've.  Lesley was in front (with the camera), but she does not spot for me, so it's all on me.

I've said before how dropping one front tire too far before the other drops has seemed to me to be the most common way to have an actual rollover (as opposed to just flopping over on your side).  In watching other people roll on YouTube that's what seems to be the easiest mistake to make.

If you look behind my front tires you can see that this was not quite the case here, but effectively it was the same.  My right front was going down a fairly consistent slope but my left front just came out of a hole.  That's a lot like the FJ-40 running his left front up on the bank when his right front was already lower on the sloped trail.

One or two things saved me from a roll here.  One might have been that my accelerating was successful at pulling the tires back under the cg.  It's a little counter-intuitive to hit the gas in a situation like that, kind of like not hitting the brakes when you're going too fast on snow and are starting to slide.  But it is what you need to do.  Think of what would happen if you did the opposite and nailed the brakes.  That unweights the rear more, exacerbating the problem I needed to solve.

The other thing that likely saved me was just luck!  In spite of not paying close enough attention I still didn't cross the thin line.  I'd rather be good than lucky.  But when I'm not good enough I'll sure take lucky!

A better line from this view would've been about 3' to the left, getting my right side tires out of that hole.  Of course from this view you can't see how close that would've put me to ending up on I-70!  So there may have been a good reason I was where I was.  But yes, it was closer to a roll than I wish I'd been!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd not thought about hitting the gas, but I can see that hitting the brakes would be the last thing to do, so hitting the gas would be good.  The analogy about skidding on snow is appropriate.  

And yes, dropping one tire while the other goes up can be a major problem.  My new truck, and probably a lot of the Jeeps and other vehicles, have inclinometers that should warn you about an impending debacle.  But, at what point are you going to tip?  How do you tell in advance?

This discussion, and seeing that FJ roll, makes me even more cautious.  And I already was pretty cautious.  In fact, our new-found friend with the 4Runner said he could easily tell who was driving as my brother is a lot less cautious than I am.  I laughed it off saying "It's my truck!"  But the fact is that I've always been more cautious than he.  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more videos!  Lots of fun second-guessing lines, suspension, lockers, etc.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Man!
Pavement aggregates are impressive on this mountain road!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
My first 'wheeling trip was to Colorado in 1987 for a week living out of my friend's brand new '87 YJ (the odometer turned 5000 miles on top of Mt. Bross).  It wasn't called overlanding then, but now I guess it would be.

My second trip was the one in the two videos above.  We were staying in campgrounds and using the Jeeps to run out to the trails.

My third trip also had no video documentation, but it was "overlanding" as well, in Colorado for a week in '95 with two of us living out of my '85 F-250.

By '96 I had two kids, and there was no way the four of us were going to live out of a CJ5.  But that was still the type of trip I (thought I) wanted to take.  So I built a trailer that the Jeep could pull on trails.  I was scrambling to get it finished for another week in Colorado.  I didn't quite make it, but I was close enough.  I stuck some aluminum flashing on for fenders, attached a piece of plywood for a lid and called it good.  No paint yet, but it was time to go!  We left my 11 month old son with my parents and took my two year old along.  A friend also joined in with his Chevy S-10.

It turned out that driving a CJ5 from Minnesota to Colorado isn't really as much fun as you might think .  The 4.27 gears limited me to about 50 mph, so it was a long, loud drive.  Once out there we found that camping out of a Jeep wasn't really what we wanted to be doing either.  We survived it (although we did stay in hotels a couple of nights).  But this was my last overlanding trip.

Anyway, here are the videos:

This is a short clip driving around a little to see how the Jeep and trailer would work with each other:

Here is a little from Mosquito Pass.  This is a road that any high clearance vehicle could do with low enough gearing, even in 2WD.  But it was narrow and shelfy, with tight switchbacks.  So it gave us some good experience.

We returned to South Halfmoon Creek (a trail from the trip above).  Still a pretty easy trail, but good experience for beginners.

Taylor Pass was another good beginner trail.  We had to pick lines, and driving through the creek was fun (but even the S-10 was a challenge to make one turn in the creek).  But neither the rock nor the water was over our heads!

And this isn't a 'wheeling video, but it's too fun not to share!  My two year old sat on my lap and drove the Jeep for a little on a smooth section of gravel!

So that wraps up that trip.  Thanks for reading and watching!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Love the videos!  And especially the one with Mikey driving.  

The trailer seems to have done very well.  I've often wondered how they are on the trail, but it seems to have followed nicely.  What did you think about it?  Could you go where you wanted to go?  Did it tend to stop you at times?

And the S10 seems to have done well.  Maybe as well as your buddy's Jeep in the previous videos?  Did it have a locker?

But you still didn't have a way to air up, right?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
The trailer wasn't really a hindrance on those trails.  I have thought about how it would do on a trail like the Rubicon where traction is more limited as you are climbing big rocks.  I can see needing a strap on occasion there.  But it worked well for us.

The S-10 was the ZR2 model, which is pretty good right out of the box with ~31" BFG AT tires stock and the clearance to use them.  And yes, he added a LockRight locker to the rear.  I'd say it was quite a bit more capable than the green CJ5 from the earlier videos except that it was bigger when maneuverability was at a premium and it was a lot nicer when just sending it might be the tactic!

And correct, still no on-board air and still running street pressure.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I’ve got my eye on a 2001 S10 ZR2. A friend used to sell them and says they are great little pickups.

It’s far away but I’ll be in the area next week, hopefully, getting some snow. I’ll see if it’s still there this weekend.

Speaking of which, had an errand to run today and thought I’d better get gas. I forget how much the NP 208 whines while in 4WD!

Neat stories on what you guys did!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Interesting about the trailer.  I'd often wondered.

But I didn't know those S10 ZR2's were that capable.  His really did well compared to the Jeep.

Dane - You'll have to tell us how the search for the S10 goes.  Don't hesitate to post what you find.

As for the t-case whine, Big Blue is rather noisy on the mountain.  The headers and Magnaflow's can be heard, but that BW1345 makes the most noise.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The S10 sold today.

$5000.00 firm on the price, nowadays I didn’t expect it to last.

I guess since these transfer cases don’t get used a lot, they like to sing when they do!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona