More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I responded here so they WOULD be deleted.

Unicode appears differently on Apple devices, Samsung devices, 'Pure' Android devices, and in some other browsers.

But anyone using emoji on their device KNOWS what they are looking at. (So they are universal in that sense)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I thought by cropping the code you would HAVE the code, instead of a emoji and no way of knowing what the HTML code was.

So, it's good that you dropped them into your reply.

I figured you would just copy & paste the #& and not have to peck them all out.
But I don't have a keyboard, so I'm sure it's easier fo you.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Ok, these posts have been moved and I'll delete the other thread, ASAP. And I'll do the pickup truck, and others, when I get home. This computer doesn't have the necessary picture editing software on it, and it is tedious and since I'm "with family" it'll have to wait. But I needed to see the smiley itself since I'm going to be looking for a gif, png, or maybe jpg of the same thing and use that. As for me typing them out, I didn't in every case. I put the &# ahead of what you had initially and it worked, but then you had the quotes and I realized I'd have to type those characters out so why not do all of them. (And the ones in bold were wrong. ) But at least we know that we are talking apples/apples. Now for how things are generated. I'll confess that I don't fully understand how it is done. But, it appears to me to be this way:
  1. Forum Smiley: When you click the smiley button above and then select a smiley it pastes a picture into your post. And, that picture appears to work both here in the forum as well as in the emails we get.
  2. Device Emoticon: I don't know what is actually created when you pick an emoticon from your device. But I just picked Pinocchio from my iPhone on another thread and it sure didn't come across on this forum nor on the email I got when viewed on a Windows device. But it does both on my iPhone. And when I edit a post that was created on my iPhone by using a Windows device all I see for the smiley is a little picture, albeit the wrong one in some cases, and not unicode.
  3. Unicode: You can type it into your post, like 💥, and it seems to work in this forum and in the emails.

Does this fit with your understanding?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, I'm not pressuring you.
Just making suggestions for some smilies.
If I'm on my phone I can use the ones in Goggle keyboard, but my tablet is backed together jumble of Amazon Fire and Android apk's

Sorry about the dittos.
Everything looked lined up when I hit 'post'
I imagine I could make some mistakes.  Fat fingered, dyslexic, and you see the hour it was posted.

Yes, that fits with my understanding.

Jim,