More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok Matthew, just for you we have poo:
(Get it?  It rhymes.  I'm a poet and my feet show it - they are longfellows.  )

And, we lost Pirate.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok Matthew, just for you we have poo:
(Get it?  It rhymes.  I'm a poet and my feet show it - they are longfellows.  
I used to hear that one from my mother ALL the time.  Must be an Oklahoma thing.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, how much room is there in the panel for emoji?

I went through ALL the unicode and copied the strings for some I thought we could use.
A couple of dozen, at least.  (But some are better alternatives to the ones we have, imo)

***Like the blue 'scream' for shocked. But it then loses its sarcastic connotation ability***
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
 I JUST used drunk (to symbolize a impulsive and silly idea)
maybe the toothless one from FTE is better than drunk?
But I guess it could be used to laugh in someone's face. (I hope we're more cultured than that)

Just an idea....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
The Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the United States for the past 35 years. But you wouldn’t know it from looking at your smartphone.

There are 54 emoji to represent different modes of transportation, at least on modern iPhones. A mind-boggling 12 of them depict trains: You can text a friend everything from a light-rail car to a steam locomotive to the shinkansen. There’s a red coupe, a yellow taxi, an ambulance. There is even a scooter emoji.
But there is no pickup truck emoji.

Perhaps someone out there has made one we want?  Can someone find one?
Now, in news you want to hear:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/ford-designs-a-pickup-truck-emoji-petitions-unicode-consortium/

So, coming to a phone near you, soon????

It's Blue!!!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I don't think there's a limit to the size of the panel/popup you get when you click the Smiley button above.  The site came pre-loaded with 4 rows of 10 smileys each, for a total of 40.  I replicated the code that generates the last row to give us 10 more, and then edited the titles and content for each.  And the panel got taller to accommodate them, so I'm guessing that it'll take as many rows as we want.

However, it doesn't use unicode.  Currently we are using gif or png files, with the gif's being the animated ones.  Basically what happens is that I save a pic file in about 23 x 23 pixels and give the system a link to it in the code that generates the panel/popup.

So to use unicode simileys, which I think are all static, I screen-snag the image that it generates and save it as a png.  Then edit it down to the right pixel count to make it uniformly-sized to the others, which takes trial and error.  There may be a better way, although I've not found it yet.

At first blush this seems like an opportunity to have a poll.  But polls on this forum aren't very flexible as you have put it in the first post of a thread and you cannot change it after pulling the trigger.  So we could have multiple polls to figure out what we want?

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't see the point of a poll.

We already have a request for input and suggestions!

If anybody cares, they can post them up, here
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wouldn't mind smiley's a little bigger.
What would 26x26 or 30x30 look like?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
30 x 30 looks much bigger than the default ones, and that looks odd to me.  And I can't edit the default ones.

But we could replace all of the 40 defaults and use bigger ones.  However, inserting a smiley does cause the line spacing to change, so the bigger the smiley the more spacing there will be.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I understand about the line spacing, that's why I asked what it would look like.

Too much whitespace is not good, but as it is now, my old eyes need to check what it is on my phone.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim -......However, it doesn't use unicode. .......
So to use unicode simileys, which I think are all static, I screen-snag the image that it generates and save it as a png.  Then edit it down to the right pixel count to make it uniformly-sized to the others.

Thoughts?
I've been entering the HTML string associated with Unicode(s?)
Not the Unicode itself, which I've left with the character.

UNICORN'S !!!!

It seems to show right up, here in the forum.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, we can enter the code into our posts, and that works fine. But I can’t put code into the drop-down panel. Only pics. But if we know which ones we want I can do the screen-grab approach to capture them and put them in the panel.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Weird
You started a new thread.

I just replied....  over there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just read through this thread. Please, whatever you do - keep the Bronson one!! Kept cracking up at work every time I scrolled down and it became visible.

As for the others, I am more of a minimalist I guess from back when you had the option of colon, semicolon, D, (, and ).
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
Just read through this thread. Please, whatever you do - keep the Bronson one!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Doh! You got me again   (Ok, I do like the clapping one...)
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The problem with those two, Bronson and ROTFL, is that they need to be BIG in order to be recognized.  But they don't play well with the other, smaller smileys in the smiley menu.  And, they cause major line space issues in a paragraph.

However, it might be possible to put the bigger ones at the bottom of the menu and only put 3 or 4 on a line.  And, users will have to realize that placing them in a post will cause issues with line spacing.

What do y'all think?  Should we try it?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
As for the others, I am more of a minimalist I guess from back when you had the option of colon, semicolon, D, (, and ).
There are a LOT of variations.

Yeahbutt.... Kids these days.
They would have no idea!

Would need their own Rosetta Stone.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think we need two rotfl's.
We get it with the red one.

But Gif's, sure
 Jim,