I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

Whisler
In the midst of a 3G alternator conversion, I find that my double groove alternator pulley is too thick to allow sufficient thread purchase for the mounting nut. I am in need of a single groove alternator pulley. Anyone have one laying around unused and neglected.

If so let me know how much. This for a 1984 351W if that matters.

Thanks.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll look tomorrow, but I don't know if I have a single or not.  If I do it is yours.  But, if so we will need to make sure it has the right width to the vee/groove.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
According to this neat page I found (Engines/Drive Belts), your alternator belt should be 15/32" wide.  

As said, I'll check to see what I have tomorrow after church.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
In reply to this post by Whisler
Thanks for checking.
According to the some info that NumberDummy gave me, the groove should measure 0.38 on a the correct pulley but I will measure the old pulley and the width of the belt I was using in the morning also.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Remember the offset you need to have for the belts to line up.
I bought the L&L alternator mounting kit which came with a pulley and I think I sent it off to Gary.

RJM used to sell the pulley inexpensively.
If you have a lathe you can bore the center of yours a little deeper.
I'm using the stock pulley with a flange nut and Loctite.

When Bill and I met last week he said he had the startup squeak and went with a larger Taurus pulley. (I have a LRC regulator for that problem)

The shaft size is common (15mm,  I think) so it's not too hard to find something that fits.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, you have to remember, I have the poly groove (serpentine style) belts and the Taurus unit I got the pulley from was the same, just used a larger pulley, also mine is the uprated one RJM sold, 160 amps.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I do know that.
My suggestion was that a larger diameter (like the V-belt pulley I sent Gary) would stop the chirp, instead of swapping in an LRC regulator like I did.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If I have that pulley, and I should, it'll be Whisler's.  I'm using a two-groove pulley that I modified for Dad's truck, and may go serpentine on Big Blue, so certainly don't need it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You have it, unless it found a new home already.

It may be two groove but I know *you* have a lathe.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I measured the pulley sheave i was using and it measures 0.38 inside lip to inside lip and the belt I was using measures 0.40. My pulley measurement agrees with the info that Number Dummy gave me but the belt I am using is definitely not a 15/32 even though your info says it should be. Strange as I don't see how a 15/32 belt would work in a 3/8 groove.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I'm confused.  The pulley on the 3G you sent me is a poly-groove, as shown below.  But are you referring to another pulley?

Whisler - I only have one unused pulley, and it is a 2-groove as also shown below.  Its measurements are:

3 3/16" OD

1 5/8" front/rear

Both grooves are 15/32"

27/32" recess on the front for a nut and washer

1/8" lip on the rear to keep it off the alternator's case

Will that work for you?

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
If the grooves measure 15/32 at the top, then the grooves are too wide for my use. As stated above my old pulley and the one on the crank are 3/8. I still don't understand how NumberDummy's chart (on FTE) shows a 0.38  (3/8) groove as correct for the alternator pulley and your chart calls for a 15/32 belt for the alternator. Very strange.

I found the correct pulley on Ebay, but the guy is selling 6 of them together. If I get those, I may have some for the next guy that needs one.

Thanks a lot for checking for me.

God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know where Bill got his information, but he's almost always correct.  However, his info doesn't agree with what I see in Ford's master parts catalog.  Here are the entries for the 1984 302 and 351W.  Note that the 302 did have a 3/8" drive belt from the alternator to the AIR pump, aka T/E.  But there isn't a 3/8" belt shown for the 351W.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary,
I think the "unused" pulley is the one I sent you when I got rid of my A.I.R. pumps and bought the L&L bracket it came with, but I didn't need it.

I know on my stock alternator the belt used to drive the pumps *from* the alternator was about 10mm (or 3/8") wide.
But I do not know what was stock on earlier trucks.

The biggest concern is that the belt rides on the sides of the sheave and not in the bottom.
So too wide is maybe ok, but too narrow is definitely a failure.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  So that's where I got that pulley!  Dawn.  Marblehead.  

Yes, too small of a belt rides on the bottom and slips.  But too large of a belt doesn't get down in far enough for all of the side to be engaged, and it doesn't have as much grip as a belt that is fully engaged.

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Part of the puzzle may be solved. The outermost pulley sheave on the crank is larger that the other two
(measures ~ 1/2 inch) and  the diagrams show that sheave driving the alternator via the outer sheave on the alternator pulley. The thermactor pump was then driven by the inner sheave of the alternator pulley. I removed the thermactor pump some time ago along with the non-functional A/C. (weight savings, don't you know) and probably just ran a belt from the next crank sheave in toward the block (A/C) which was smaller (3/8).

That still leaves the question of why my alternator pulley sheaves both measure 3/8 rather than large enough to use a 15/32 belt as the chart show.

Whatever the reason, I still need a single sheave 3/8 pulley because my double sheave pulley is too thick to bolt up and a double would be needed to line up with the larger crank pulley.

Gary, could you measure the actual shaft contact surface length (surface in contact with the shaft) on the pulley that you have on the off chance it is shorter than mine and would allow more thread bit. If it is  near 11/16" it might work.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary has a lathe.
He can make it whatever you want.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
A part and custom machine work is a lot to ask of a guy.

If he could make it 11/16, I would be delighted. A larger pulley and wider belt may reduce any tendency to chirp on start-up.

God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'll measure the length tomorrow.  But, doing the math from the measurements I have I should be able to tell you now.  3 3/16" overall minus 27/32" recess gives 2 11/32" of shaft contact.  Is that what you need me to confirm?

But, you want the groove to be 11/16" wide at the top?  Why that size?

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Obviously I was very unclear in what I needed or was trying to convey.

You measured the pulley front to back at 1 5/8" overall width, with 27/32" recess and 1/8' lip on the back.

What I was trying to say is that I need the distance measured from the face of the recess to the back of the lip to be 11/16". Converting to metric, overall width is 1.625" minus 0.844" recess makes the current distance from face of recess to back of lip to be 0.781. This is assuming your overall width was including the lip.

I need the distance from the face of the recess to the back of the lip to be 0.688" (or 11/16) or stated another way I need the recess deepened by about 0.1".  The lip needs to stay to space the pulley off the alternator case. Nothing else about the pulley needs to be changed.

I hope that makes better sense. If not let me know.
God Bless
Whisler