I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

PetesPonies
As a man that misses his full size lathes I had when teaching ( I have a small lathe in my shop now ), what lathe do you own?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have an Enco 13x40 lathe:

And a Grizzly G3617 mill:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Nice. I had a row of 10" Rockwells, that were OK. But one 12 or 13" Rockwell, that was my favorite. I didn't let it get beat up  :)  Loved that lathe. We had some Bridgeport mills. I could definitely use an end mill at times. But my lathe helps out every so often.I just have a 9" Chinese lathe now.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Well Frankenstein lives! But before I declare victory, someone take a look at these voltage measurements and tell me if they look OK.

Engine off, across the battery 12.50 volts.
Engine running (high idle), across the battery 14.82.

The Truck had been sitting for more  than a week.

What say you? Can I declare victory and move to the next project?
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I would even say the 14.8 is a bit high. But certainly you have found the issue. The best test now would be to turn on everything you have. Then see if the voltage is still 1V above the base voltage of 12.5V.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The 14.8 might be a bit high, but I'll guess that the battery was down a bit and the regulator brought it up a bit to charge it quickly.  And, assuming it is cool that isn't an issue for a short period.  So, I'd give it a try and see what happens.

Congrat's!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Our recent low temps have been around freezing with highs in the mid 50's so somewhat  cool-ish. And the truck had been sitting idle for at least 8 days. I'll just drive it and keep an eye on it.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
3 mile run to Home Depot, restart and 3 mile run back home and the alternator is putting out 14.5v.

I'll keep an eye on things but I think I may be  golden.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup.  Cold or a low battery can make the voltage go up for a bit.  But, as the battery nears full charge and/or the temp comes up the voltage should settle in around 14.4, give or take a few tenths.

How did you wire up the Rocketman voltmeter?  Or, was that someone else?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I still say you should do the load test I described. It takes only a minute to do. It will show you the operation of the regulator and how the alternator does at load. technically an alternator can supply the correct voltage when at no load or low load . . but fail at high load. The load test is the last test to be performed.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Gary: my voltmeter is an aftermarket gauge under the dash, but my measurements were done with a cheapo VOM on the battery terminals. I would love to do the Rocketman conversion but that's for later on.

Pete: will do the load test when I get some time, possibly tomorrow after church.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Load test results:
Battery voltage before start -----12.52 v
Running, high idle, no load ------14.88 v
Running, high idle, loaded -------14.66 v
(test done on a cold engine)

How does that look?
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Somehow I am not seeing Pete's instructions on how to do the load test.  What am I doing wrong?

Anyway, Whisler, those results look good to me.  The loaded voltage is a bit higher than I would expect, but then the alternator was cold, so it should come down as the temp goes up.