I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

Whisler
I think my long-winded explanation above still isn't very clear. All I would need is for the pulley recess to be deepened so that the measurement from the face of the recess, through the hole, to the end of the lip is 11/16".

I came up with this number this way. I had a serpentine pulley that allowed me to get the bolt far enough onto the shaft for safety, so I laid it down on a flat surface and measured through the hole from the face of recess to the flat surface and it was 11/16. That same measurement with your pulley should be fine.

Hope this is more clear.

I appreciate this greatly. Thank you
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Whisler
Whisler,
If you use a flange nut instead of a nut *and* washer the threads start with your 'washer'.

Mine hasn't slipped even though the 3G shaft is shorter than the old alternator.
I was a little iffy about not having threads projecting from the nut but it seems okay in my case.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I'm OK with no threads actually projecting from the front of the nut, but with my pulley I can only catch about 2 threads before bottoming out in the recess. If I could get enough thread engagement to bring the the shaft out level with end of the nut, I would be fine. Therefore, I need the recess deepened.

I need the portion of the hub of the pulley that would be in actual contact with the alternator shaft to be 11/16 long, including the lip. Deepening the recess maybe needed. Laying the pulley on the lip, on a flat surface and measuring through the hole, from the flat surface to the inside face of the recess is the crucial measurement.

I think that I misunderstood some of Gary's measurements. When he said the recess was 27/32", I took that to be depth but I think he meant diameter. I don't know the depth of the recess on Gary's pulley or if his front to back measurement (thickness) included the lip, so all my spouting of math in my other post is of no use.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You were right, the recess is 27/32" deep.  I'm going out to the shop in a bit and will chuck the pulley up and see 'bout making it deep enough that the total shaft engagement is 11/16".

I'm moving slowly this morning.  Think the celebratory eating caught up with me.  Or the late bed time, which was caused by the nap yesterday afternoon, might have been part of the problem.  In any event, I'm on my second cup of Starbucks and enjoying the slow morning.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Did your front-to back measurement of 1 5/8" include the 1/8" lip?

If so, then the recess  needs to be deepened by 3/32". If not, then it needs to be deepened by 7/32". But please check my math; I have been sick for a week and may not be thinking clearly.

Thanks again for all this.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I included the lip in my measurement.

But, let's start over.  With the pulley front-up on the table, I measure 3/4" (.754" actually) from the rear of the recess to the back of the lip.  And you want it to be a max of 11/16"?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
You are correct.

Sounds like your pulley was much closer to what I needed than what I had.

Talking about coffee made me want a cup, so i think I'll go have one. Hope you enjoyed yours. Now if I could just stop coughing I could enjoy one myself.

Your generosity is much appreciated.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, let's make sure this thing is what you want.  As shown below, my math says originally the bottom of the recess to the back of the lip was .754".  And 11/16" = .6875", so the amount to take off is .0665".  Right?

I wound up at .684", but if that's too short I can send you the shavings so you can glue them back on.  

Anyway, if this is what you want just click on my name and send me an email with your address.  I'll get it out tomorrow.  If not, what changes do you need?

Oh, and here's a shot while I was machining it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,  I was sure that pulley would come in handy.
-This pulley was made for this application-

Thanks so much for paying it forward and helping out a forum participant.  

You are a real stand up guy!

(That's about all I can do without a rep button)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is the thought that counts, Jim.  You gave it to me, so it is the least I could do.

Note that I actually enlarged the recess at its base.  Apparently the folks doing the CNC work on these at the factory were in a hurry and pushed the limits of their boring bar, and it flexed when they got to the bottom.  I took off very small amounts since I was only taking off .067" and didn't have any flex.  So, the recess is now a bit truer.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That looks great Gary. E-mail sent with address.

I agree with the previous sentiment, you are a stand-up guy. I appreciate your help greatly.

Now I'll be able to say I have a custom built part on my truck and imported (from Oklahoma) at that.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow, Gary... 2 cups of coffee really gets you going!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dennis/Whisler - Got the email.  No prob.  I plan to send it tomorrow, and may take Darin/Oz's crossmember at the same time.

David - You and I know that the second one is French roast, and that gets just about everything going.  

Now back to gutting The Huck, more of which later - after a badly-needed shower.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pulley is "in the mail".  Email sent on the shipping cost.  Done and dusted, as the Brit's would say.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Anxiously awaiting its arrival. You are the Man.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hope it fits.  Let us know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Gary, the pulley fits fine and looks great, but this 3G install sure has turned out to be an adventure.

First there was the pulley issue, which Gary kindly fixed. Then I found that, when mounting the alternator to the bracket, I did not have enough rotation of the alternator to engage the adjustment arm. The much larger 3G alternator was hitting part of the bracket. This bracket is the huge ugly one used to mount both alternator and AIR pump in "84, except that it had been de-horned to remove the AIR pump bracket ears.

My options were extend the adjustment bracket or grind the upper bracket. Since I don't weld but I do grind , you know where I went. After extensive "clearancing" of the bracket with a Dremel tool, I finally had enough rotation to engage the last few inches of the adjustment slot. (This definitely makes me think that I need to learn to weld.)

Now it's time to install a belt and see what alignment looked like. Let's see, I have belts in 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 41, & 42 in. lengths. So what size do I need? Why 39 inches, of course.

So I stopped for the evening and will pick up a 39" belt in the AM. Wish me luck.

Thanks again to Gary for the pulley and custom modifications, and thanks to my wife for the gift of the Dremel set.  
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked!  

As for the other problems, I just typed "While replacing the engine I will also install the ZF5.  And, while that would seem to be a very simple thing, something is bound to require a bit more work than just going back with the T-19."  So, I've been there, done that, and feel your pain.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think this is why many people use the 8.25" C-C 3G off a 3.8 V-6.
The extra 5/8 distance between pivot and the larger 148mm body of the 130A 3G gives them a little more room to swing the alternator in.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
That sounds like a good reason for using the larger C-C alternator but I got what I think was a good buy on this used Mustang V-6 alternator. We will see if it was a good buy when I get everything hooked up and checked out.
God Bless
Whisler