Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go get the radios!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Thanks Gary.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, as reported in Big Blue's Transformation thread, I think I'm going to have to be satisfied with the head unit and speakers I have, including the to-be speakers in the Highliner.  I say that because today's test proved that Big Blue is NOISY!  And while I can turn the volume up so you can hear the music, the combined noise level is just too much.

So at least for now I'm going to say "it is what it is" and work on other things.  Maybe down the road I'll wear these tires out and get some that aren't so noisy - but still have good offroad traction.  And maybe I'll discover that the wind deflectors are making a lot of the wind noise and will remove them, but I doubt it.  But for now the truck is noisy and I don't see a way around that.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary, to be quite honest, i believe what you already have is going to be more then satisfactory .  I kind of thought big blue was going to be a bit noisy with that big 460 and all, but like you said, it is what it is.  If you are like me, i love my music, but when driving, i dont like it loud.
I guess while you were out in Big Blue, we took Brutus on his first highway run.  everything did fine except the back brake adjuster on the driver side pushed the shoes to far out and when we got home, smoke was coming off the  wheel.  we pulled it and sure enough, that was the problem.

I did find out we need a new speedometer cable and driven gear, some time back Nick pulled it off the parts truck which wasn't very good either so i have to add that to my list.

Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Did you make it to the radios?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I saw that you took Brutus out and that you had a brake problem but have fixed it.  Good job!

And yes, Big Blue is noisy.  But the noises seem to be, in decreasing order: tires; wind; exhaust; engine.  Not much I'm going to do about the tires, and they aren't all the noisy compared to some trucks you see going down the highway with the tires screaming.  Doubt there's much to be done about the wind noise as BB has all new weather stripping and window seals.  And the exhaust is brand new, so I'll stay away from 1850 RPM, which is ~65 MPH, as that's where it is most noticeable.  As for the engine, its noise pales by comparison.

It is what it is, and I don't see the need to try to overpower the sound of the truck with music as we'd never be able to really hear the details of the music, and to me that's what it is all about.  To put on Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat and "see" her standing on the hood, and hear that sax wailing.  That is "listening"!

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
wind noise in those trucks were always a problem, but when you put the windows up with the new weatherstrip on the windows and doors, you really dont hear much of anything but the engine.  Mind you that i'm sure is going to change for us too when i buy actual truck tires at the end of the year.  but like you said, it is what it is.  You know that was fords idea when they designed those radio's and why the eq curv is so crazy in them.  they wanted you to be able to hear it with all kinds of noises
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I might have missed it somewhere along the way, but what is the cost to modify an original AM/FM radio so that it can be Bluetooth capable? I don't have a radio (yet), but I'm on the hunt for some replacement bezels, and radio options might determine what bezel(s) I buy.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Rembrant.  we dont have a cost yet.  Nick is still working that out.  when you do get a radio.  what would you be interested in?  just bluetooth and thats it, or bluetooth and a upgraded radio?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Rembrant.  we dont have a cost yet.  Nick is still working that out.  when you do get a radio.  what would you be interested in?  just bluetooth and thats it, or bluetooth and a upgraded radio?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "upgraded" radio? To be honest, I don't really listen to the radio much anymore. I've been listening to Podcasts for years now (From my iPhone, via Bluetooth). However, I guess I would like the option of using the radio from time to time.

If I go looking for a used radio, what is the best one to upgrade? Just curious.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Rembrant.  What kind of radio bezel do you have in your truck.  Do you have the din style like I have, or do you have the one with the knobs on either side of the radio?   Sounds like you just want a factory stereo with bluetooth?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Rembrant.  What kind of radio bezel do you have in your truck.  Do you have the din style like I have, or do you have the one with the knobs on either side of the radio?   Sounds like you just want a factory stereo with bluetooth?
The truck in question is a 1980, and if I have my way I will find an early black bezel for it, which will have the old style radio with two knobs. Going to look for a radio in the coming weeks. A friend of mine has a bunch of these trunks in his junkyard.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - If several radios are available you might get more than one, assuming the price is reasonable.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Cory, if you have access  to radio's, you may want to get as many as you can of those style, in particular if there are any with cassette.  These radios are becoming worth more and more money as time goes by
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Nick and I are discussing that right now.  In the meantime, we need donor radio's    Just AM-FM with no tape.  we need some donor radio's in order to prototype , they need not work. if anybody knows of any, please let me know.
Not a "donor", but reasonably priced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1984-FORD-TRUCK-STEREO/264888406018?hash=item3dac945002:g:Ob4AAOSwW15fe1dh
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Thats not a bad price, i'm going to watch it.  Thanks
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86Supercab
Hello, I’ve been wanting to restore my 1986 factory cassette deck. I’ve looked online a few years back and found a couple places that do restorations.
Unfortunately they wanted more than I can afford to pay to restore an old stereo.
I was wondering if you know of any circuit board maps or anything that would help me do this myself.
Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

84F250IDI
Sorry to be adding to an old thread, but couldn't get the email function to work. I have the same radio as 66gtk and it's having issues with the cassette player, am function, and the preset buttons. Any chance that Nick could repair my radio? Just want it to work correctly again. Thanks