Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
98 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary  That would be fantastic, If you want, i will pay for the shipping.

So here's the real deal with this.  Nick can make that radio have anything and do anything he wants, none of that is an issue.  The problem is adapting the radio's controls to operate different functions.  Some of it isn't an issue if you were to use a cassette or 8 track, you gut the mechanism out and put the small push buttons behind the door.  but a radio only, thats quite a different story.  Then come the potentiometers, as you know there is a volume and tone, then tune and if equipped a fader and as you know a fader is not a potentiometer but rather an L pad.   Nick did come up with a way to use the fader which he did in the ranchero.  the fader control is connected to a rod with a gear on the end which turns a potentiometer inside the radio, that is the bass control, the tone control is the treble, and of course the tune and volume are the same.  The eject button or track change button which is the volume knob, when you push it, it turns on the audio input.   the bluetooth switches are the fast forward and rewind controls.  This also leaves us with no balance control, which the tape systems didn't have to begin with, but the radios did.  As far as usb and audio in jacks, those would be behind either the cassette or 8 track door.  So its really a matter of adapting the radio's exhisting controls while retaining the tuner and the pushbuttons.  We dont want to change anything whasoever about the look of the radio at all

Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
The radio that came in Brutus is quite a different story, and much easier to adapt to the new modern features.  it's loaded with potentiometers and push buttons and is for the most part " Modern "  Some amplifier modifications and these radios sound really good.   This could be a consideration if you were able to locate the din bezel and the bracket.  
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
George - Do you think sending you Dad's radio would do any good?  It is just an AM/FM radio, meaning no tape or other mechanism, so no place to put extra controls.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary.  Yes that would be very helpful  As AM/Fm only is the most common.  we do need them in order to try and figure out where and how to place the switches.  we are thinking about the possibility of pin switches behind the push button presets, but not sure yet.

As far as something with all the features, ie, usb, line input and bluetooth would absolutely have to be in a unit with a tape system.  The radio only however, could very well be outfitted with bluetooth only.  That would not be that difficult of a mod, we just need radio's to try this stuff out.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see what I have today then and let you know.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
George - I only have the one radio, which is the 1981 AM/FM stereo unit from Dad's truck.  I just checked it out and the FM works fine but the AM didn't pull in any stations although I did get static so maybe my makeshift antenna was too small.

Anyway, maybe it can be serial #1 of your efforts?  Can you make it into something with:

Speaker Out: Either just the current internal amp or pre-amp out.  But more power would be nice as back then the radios didn't have much.

Sub-out: I can do speaker-level into a self-powered sub, and many of them have a low-pass crossover, so I really don't "need" sub-out. But it would be nice.

USB: Don't really need it as I'll use Bluetooth for streaming and hands-free.

Bluetooth: This is needed, as said, for both streaming and hands-free.

Mic: Any chance of having an input for a hands-free mic?

Once we kick it around here let's email on a rough price estimate.  I just want to get into a ballpark before I say "go".

And, here are some pics.  First is a snippet from a page in the '81 owner's guide showing the controls.  Note that while there's a knob for a second pot on the right side, there's apparently not a pot there as it isn't mentioned and I detect no change in sound as I rotate it.  And the balance is via a slider below.  So, it would be possible to add a pot there for some control.  Maybe that could be the balance and the slider could be for some other function?

And, speaking of other functions, I really don't need AM, so maybe the AM/FM slider could be used to select between FM and BT?

Here's the front, and the unit is powered and has a stereo FM station dialed in:

And here's the model info:

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
George,

Have you guys installed these Aurora systems yet or are you using something else?  It seems they can utilize the same potentiometers in different ways.  Check out those videos.  Very cool, but I would need a cheat sheet to remember how to activate all that stuff (:

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html

Troy
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those things are wild!  WOW!  They have features that blow my mind.  

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus

Gary.  Thats exactly what we were talking about doing to the radio only.   Honestly, a wire connection is no longer needed these days with Bluetooth 5.0, it sounds just as good as a wire, and i believe Ipods and stuff like that are coming a thing of the past.

I've heard about the Aurora radios, they have been out for a while now.  From what i understand, they are very pricey.  I've looked into them a while back when it says built in USA.  Yes it was, but all the parts were made in china.    Even though the radio dial may look analog, it is digital..  With it being digital, they can use the potentiometers pretty much anyway they want to being there is no analog tuning knob.   As far as what Nick and i want to do it to keep and retain the analog tuning section of the original radio..   It would be very easy to convert it to digital.  He has already done that some years back when bluetooth first came out.  we were able to use the push buttons for anything we needed, but did not live up to our expectations as far as the tuner was concerned.   Very few tuners are going to ourperform the original tuner section of the Ford radio

Not saying " don't look into it"  if you see something you like, definately buy it and enjoy.  I'm glad they are doing it so we can have choices when it comes to radio's for our classic vehicles

As far as we go.  We want the features and be able to incorporate them into the radio with Sound quality and performance being the main focus.   More times then not, features and convience take the front seat to sound quality and performance.    This is the main reason Nick got out of TV and audio repair. and in this day and age, the classic's are becoming worth more and more money and there is a huge demand for the audio equipment we had back in the 70's.  Some companies are even outfitting the old receivers with bluetooth.  You would be quite surprised at people's reaction , especially younger ones that have never heard the vintage stuff.  I've literally seen jaws drop when they hear this stuff as compared to what is out there today.  It sounds better, it's built better, and was built with pride.  With all the technology they have today, unfortunately pride has gone away.  It's just to easy to have 100 watts x4 with subwoofer output, 30 station preset, digital equalizers, different dsp settings, the list goes on and on.  but in the end, Brand x sounds just like brand B.  The audo industry has even gotten in on this.  Some may disagree.  Me, and this is just my personal opinion, and the opinion of many others which is why our Bullnose trucks and the GM square body trucks are becoming worth more and more money.   The new trucks have so many features and functions and alot of them is just because they can.  Brutus is a better truck in every way, shape and form then anything new.  The electronics, even if they fail, that truck will drive home.  It has an 8 foot box, you can fit anything in it.  It's engine, transmission and rear end are not reliant on electronics that " will " fail, not maybe, but will.  I can afford a truck payment, but i dont want a new truck.  I just dont like them, to me it is not a real truck, they are lincoln town cars with an open trunk.
But enough of that.  Sorry, i have a tendency to ramble, but my point is like i said above.  No pride, no craftsmanship, nothing to make you stand out.  From the moment you switch it on and hear the sound coming out of the speakers, then you will understand.  Especially when you tune in your favorite radio station and really have a chance to hear what an analog Superheterodyne tuner can do.

We are not going into this with the idea of putting anybody out of business or anything like that.  The original idea was for restoration of original radio's.  Modifications to original radio's, instrument cluster rebuilding and automotive electronics repair.  Pretty much on a customer's needs basis.   Once we get the modifications to work and function well inside an original radio, we would have a handfull to sell at any particular time.  I couldn't even imagine what the price may be yet.  

As soon as we get the radio only and am able to open it up and compare with the cassette and 8 track units as far as room and where everything is going to go and how it will function will give us a better idea of cost factors etc.

Right now what we want to start off doing is outfitting with just bluetooth and hands free mic with a modern amplifier that can also give preamp and subwoofer outputs    

Sorry for the long ramble, some of you are used to it by now.

So yes Gary we want the radio

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
George - I watched the videos for the Aurora radios and decided there's way too many options for me.  He did things with the dials that I could never remember, like turning one twice to the right to answer a call.  

So I am just looking for an update on the original radio.  Bluetooth is the main need so I can stream and have hands-free calling.  But more power would be appreciated.

Send me an email with your address and I'll ship this thing to you.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
sure will Gary.  Thats my thing too.  Simple.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Right now what we want to start off doing is outfitting with just bluetooth and hands free mic with a modern amplifier that can also give preamp and subwoofer outputs    
Bingo - I think this is what most people simply want.  Especially if it costs less than a fully digital Aurora system that steals away from the fun with tuning manually and using older instruments as they were designed to be used.  I love showing my kids and other younger generation adults things like window cranks, manual lock plungers, manual radio tuning, waiting for a cassette to rewind, pulling out a preset button and pressing it to lock in the station for future 1 click tuning, etc.  Things I once thought were mundane and in need of updating are now quite endearing for me (:

As for vintage audio, in general....I'm right there with you.  I have several piles of old speakers, integrated amps and receivers that I can't bring myself to sell.  They are from the 70s-early 90s.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
alot of this stuff is just technology run a muck.  Nothing today is going to pull in like those radios do.  Yes, they dont sound very good, but what alot of people dont know.  first off, the amplifiers in those radios are quite good, but are designed to deliever mostly midrange.  Ford wanted you to be able to hear and understand the radio over road noise etc.  Fidelity wasnt a conern, but rather they wanted you to be ble to understand the radio and have it last, which you can and it did.  Unfortunately, nothing can be done to improve on it, believe me, we have tried.  Back in those days before the advent of the Switch Mode Power Supply, we were stuck with only 12 volts and there is only so much that can be done with 12 volts.  And now, we have the technology to do anything we want with the manufacturers not really careing as to what it sounds like, its 100 watts, its digital, shove it in there.  It's the same everywhere, even with music, you would think with all this technology that music would sound better when in fact it really does not.  it has bass just for the sake of having bass, they give you something to make your subwoofer go boom boom without giving any regard to the musicality.  I guess it's the world we live in today
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
George and Nick - Dad's radio is on its way to your PO box.  Email sent with tracking #.

Hope you can make it fit my desires, but I'm not in a hurry so see what you can do.

And, while I have you, I'm planning to replace the door panels in Big Blue and just use good 6 1/2" speakers in the factory spot in the doors instead of the hideous 6x9's that are mounted to the door panels.  And I'm going to install a Highliner headliner with 4" speakers up there.  I have a pair of really nice Alpine SPS-1029S speakers I'll replace the cheap 4" speakers with on the driver's side, but may run the cheap ones on the passenger's side for a while.

Anyway, do you have a recommendation for the 6 1/2's in the doors?  They'll be driven by a Sony Xplode CDX-GT08, which says it has 45 watts x 4.  I'll dedicate the front channels to the 6 1/2's and the rear channels to the 4" speakers.

I'm thinking with the 4" speakers, which have nice tweeters on them, a 6 1/2 w/o a tweeter would be best.  But what I'm finding in my searches are component systems with either a tweeter mounted on the woofer or at least a tweeter included in the package, which would be a waste of money.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Polk DB652 is what both Jim and I have.  mine are in the ranchero as you know Brutus has 6x9's in factory holes that looks like they used a can opener to cut them.  Jim has the same speakers in his doors as well.

I really dont think it's going to be an issue on " dads " radio.  we going to do our best to give you everything you want and is going to help nick out more then you can know.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have every confidence in you and Nick.  Take your time as I'm years away from being ready for being ready for it.

As for the Polks, thanks for the suggestion.  But they have a tweeter.  So, basically all of them do?

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
yes for the most part, but one can never have to much tweet.  If you want to go this direction, you can find 61/2 inch woofers and then 2 ways for your headliner.   Does the headliner come with speakers?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I just read it again.  Ok, so you have some 4 inch already.  I can look around for some 6.5 woofers for you, but i really do think this would be the way to go especially if you are using a sub.  I think haveing tweeters in the doors as well will sound very good, and if you find there is too much tweet, the polks are very easy to disconnect the tweeter, as there is a real cossover network on the back of the speaker, just unsolder the wires
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, having the tweeters in the doors won't hurt as I can easily disable them.

As for the 4" speakers, they are shown below and have a very nice set of tweeters.  So I need bass more than tweet.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
the polks have great bass
Nick and George
Owned since new