302 messages Options
1 ... 111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running!

Sac79
I certainly hope so Gary.

As for the fast idle, that is how I understood your explanation the first time, but mine does not require any input from the throttle. The fast idle cam activates the throttle as you work the choke cable, it is not affected by gravity or anything other than the position of the choke. That's why I can modulate the throttle with the choke without any throttle input. I'll take a picture, although a video will probably be better. I'll just show you next year!

OK, some more updates. I had planned on getting a used rim and tire for a spare, but the shop with used tires proved useless. Couldn't even do the alignment on my truck, apparently to old for their machine?! So I ate humble pie and returned to my usual shop and had them check the alignment(which turns out to be free) - the toe was perfect, or just about, -1/32" and +1/32", so the toe plates worked. The camber is +2.4deg on the driver's side and +1.8 on the passenger's. +1.8deg is the limit according to their machine, but the bushing only has 1/4deg of adjustment left and the passenger's side is maxed out. So I told them to leave it and I'm looking for bushings with more adjustment. The current ones go up to 3.5deg. Since the alignment check was free(it would have been $90 had they done any adjustment) I had them remove my old tires. I got a 31x10.5x15 from Walmart and mounted it on one of the stock wheels.

Free to a good home...

The spare is about 1/2" shy on radius, but close enough for an emergency spare.

I also installed the 'carpet bracket'. With the seat all the way back, there is a nice flat shelf now. And the carpet fits as it should.

And I got these. I was thinking about nerf bars and I'm regretting getting rid of the running boards, but I'm happy with these. And a little insert of weatherstripping courtesy of Gary!

And a tonneau cover. It fits pretty well.

And the window wind deflectors.

I haven't checked my work(leaks) yet as I'm prepping the truck for polish and we've had some wet weather and I didn't want to wash it again. Used a clay bar this afternoon and it's shocking how rough the surfaces were. Tomorrow I'll buff out a few scratches and then take a test drive to check for leaks.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob!  You've been BUSY!  Wow!  

Ok, I'll wait until next year on the choke.  But, I'm curious!

What brand eccentrics are you using?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
I'd thought you put a spoiler on your truck, until I realized it was a fence.              

The truck is looking great Rob!
I hope you can get the alignment resolved. Tyres too nice to scrub them down quickly.

I'm not sure what is offered in bushings for those lighter trucks.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The bushings are AC Delco, I think. I've been browsing the web, but I've not seen anything that would provide more than 3.5degs of adjustment. I'll continue to look, but worst case, I'll attempt to gain that last 1/4deg on the driver's side and run it like that. I won't be doing crazy miles and the tires will probably be changed due to age rather than wear...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd thought you put a spoiler on your truck, until I realized it was a fence.              
 Eddy is way faster than before, but not quite fast enough to make use of a spoiler...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Spent all day yesterday with the DA polisher... The paint is so smooth now I'm sure I'm just cutting through the air like a hot knife through butter! OK, maybe not. But the finish is great, almost looks like a half decent paint job now.

Oh, I added the arch trim this week. I was hoping it would hide the holes left by the running board hardware, but it doesn't.

Went for a drive this morning to test the new gasket. Looks dry, I'll wait and see what sitting the rest of the weekend does before I celebrate. Happen to come across a car show, I guess there's no 'rona in Alabama. Some nice old cars(a few new ones too), maybe next year I'll go park up Eddy. If I had known about it, today would have been perfect, with the polishing and waxing I did! But it was winding down as I arrived, Saturday afternoons is football in AL.

I also replaced the plugs before doing the gasket and found them all brownish with a little black moisture at the top threads, except for #6, which was whitish and dry... 1-5 looks like the one on the left(it being #1), #6 on the right.

Maybe a leak at #6? I suspect a vacuum leak due to a hissing noise, but there are no other symptoms. I might do a smoke test, my neighbor is a cigar smoker... I was also concerned about the AF mixture, but the plugs(1-5) seem normal. The tailpipe also spews out black moisture(not too wet, mostly soot), normal I guess. It doesn't really smoke, a little grey puff at startup. I was considering getting an AFR gauge/sensor kit, but a wideband is so expensive and the narrow seems pointless.

Oh, and while replacing the plugs I pulled apart a plug wire... I repaired it, but I'm looking to replace them as I'm sure it will happen again and all the reviews on them indicate that too. Recommendations?

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob!  That looks GREAT!  WOW!  

On the plugs, you might have a leak at #6, so check it out.  But remember that the end cylinders have a hard time getting the same amount of fuel as the others.  Even with your Clifford intake that's a long way to pull fuel.

But I would have expected #1 to be similar to #6, so maybe you do have a leak.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks Gary. It was quite a job. Clay bar across all the panels, wet sand and cutting compound on about a dozen scratches and then polish followed by wax across everything again... But I like doing it, I do my wife's car yearly and will probably be doing the same with Eddy.

The intake is an Offenhauser, wish it was a Clifford(same thing really, except for the ready-made heater plumbing)! But yes, I thought the same thing initially, that's why I pictured 1 and 6. I have no other symptoms other than the hiss and now the plug. I'll do some investigating, but I'm not overly concerned.

And I'm done spending money on the truck for now. Just waiting on the center console and I have the parts to increase the exhaust to 2.5" throughout. But with the 1000 mile roadtrip just a few weeks away, I'm thinking of sticking with the current setup until after that. The exhaust is pleasantly quiet(for a long trip, but too quiet for weekend joyrides) and I don't want to risk having it be too loud or having an annoying drone for hours on end...

I would like to get new mirrors(current ones have rusty/seized adjusting screws) and a proper tow hitch, but that's next year.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can only imagine how much work that was.  Wow!

Sorry about getting the intake wrong.  But you are on top of it, so I'm sure you'll find the issue.

And I think you are right to wait to make a big change before a long trip.  When do you go?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Eddy looks great, Rob!  😍

I actually prefer the look of #1.
While I don't understand why it is different than the other five, I would probably be poking around with my non-contact thermometer, or putting hotter plugs in all except for #1.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Gary, sometime early December. The new muffler is a single chamber 'racing' muffler, so I'm definitely hesitant to make changes!

Jim, I'll definitely poke around with the thermometer, thanks.

So do you like the look of the left or right plug? Left is #1 and it looks the same as 2-5, #6 is the odd one out and the plug on the right. I like the fact that 6 is dry, but just a bit white on the electrode. 1-5 is brown/tan, but with moisture around the top of the threads...

Thanks Dane.

Plug wire recommendations?
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You may come to dislike that muffler, and I'd not change it before the trip.  I went with the longest Magnaflows my shop could get and even they have a resonant spot at ~1800 RPM.

On the plug wires, I don't have a favorite.  Most of them are pretty good any more, but if I were buying I think I'd look at a name brand - like Motorcraft.

As for the plugs, and I know the question wasn't to me, but I think #6 is too lean.  I like to have some color on my plugs, and tan is preferable.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have Motorcraft plug wires from U-techcenter but I prefer the NAPA Belden premium plug wires from NAPA.
The one plug seems right, the rest seem dirty.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I'll consult my engine builder for a tiebreaker on the plugs...

I'll look for a non-Chinese set of wires, although even name brands are probably from there now. My fix appears to have been successful, so I have a little time to come up with a choice.

And yes, I'm fully prepared to not like the muffler, but it was cheap and being short, any change to a larger unit would just require cutting down the intermediate pipe. But yes, I'm 99.99% going to wait until we return from our trip before trying it.

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry for the confusion on the plugs...  
With a new engine it will take a while for all the cylinders to seal.

Check out the NAPA Belden premium + plug wires.
I've been very happy with them in the past.

Looking forward to your trip report.
Have a great time!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
OK, quick update. The trip hasn't happened as my oil leak has gotten worse. Yes, worse now than before I changed the pan gasket...

Before it would leak more once I parked up, now it appears to be doing it as I'm driving. I made this observation by looking at the puddles... Might not be conclusive evidence, since I wiped everything down both times that I've gone for a drive since I noticed the leak and everything remained dry while being parked. I never really cleaned it up before changing the gasket, so those delayed puddles might have been from oil already on the outside...

Anyway, the pan gasket is dry except for the spot at the front bottom lip. It just drips down from there onto the drag link and axle housings. I have convinced myself that it might be the timing cover seal, due to a slight wobble in the balancer. So I ordered and received a new balancer(that I should have changed out when putting everything together) and timing cover seal and gasket, as well as a new gasket for the pan...

If I find it is the timing cover seal, does the pan have to come off? Of course the timing cover and pan joins together, so I'm thinking it probably does, but just hoping as they only provide the front gasket piece with the timing cover kit... 

Anyway, this will probably have to wait until the new year. I'm going for another test drive on Friday, to see how much oil it loses. On the very first drive after the gasket change, I didn't notice anything. On the next drive the drag link was covered in oil and the dip stick level dropped a good 1/4 inch(from above safe to the top of safe). The one after, the level did not drop, but there was as much oil on the drag link and axle housings. Depending on what I find, we might drive to Atlanta this weekend.

If we go, the new console should get a good workout...

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

farmboy60
i could use the rims how much for shipping to central ny
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob - That's a bummer!  I don't know if the pan doesn't need to come off to change the timing cover on a 300.  It doesn't on the V8's, I just don't about the six.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I usually buy the FMS -kit- with a Speedisleeve as a matter of course.
But if you've bought a new balancer you'll have no grooves worn in it where the seal rides.

Remember to lube the lips of the seal before installation.
They don't do well if started dry.
 Jim,
1 ... 111213141516