302 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our page on Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners says that at 10 degrees you'll be getting straight hot, and at 90 degrees you should be getting straight cold.  And in between a mix.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More pics

Sac79
In reply to this post by salans7
Thanks Shaun. Yeah, it's pretty simple, no options or trim here. And now it's simple under the hood too. I'm thinking of adding some stainless wheelarch trim though, mostly to hide the holes left by the running boards. And some steps, to help the wife get in!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary. I might have to wait for winter to test it properly, or get a vacuum tool. I don't have a check valve in place, could that be an issue, looking at the documentation the check valve only keeps the door shut for longer?
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Sac79
Looks good! I like the wheels. Nice looking truck!

It looks like the same bed mat as I have.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The illustration is messed up.
It shows the spring compressed, or extended, but it never really shows the door completely horizontal.

The check valve is there so the door doesn't move to fresh air when accelerating while cold.
(This is much the same problem as climate control defaulting to defrost under acceleration)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Are we talking about the same page?  I was referring to the one that has these images:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nope.
I'm taking about the third illustration under the path you posted
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think we are still talking about two different pages as those are the 2nd and 3rd illustrations from the page at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners.  I'm guessing that the way I have the pages set up is causing you to go to another page than that one.

Can you give me the URL of the one you are looking at?

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thanks Dane. The bed mat is a Trail FX, I would guess that a few companies probably sell the same mat under a different name...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary, I think he is referring to the next two pages, 68 & 69. Regardless, for me it appears as though my ambient temps are too high to test the system at the moment(without a vacuum pump). It says that even with a check valve the door could only be shut for seconds after startup at 70F. Even though I've added an AC duct to my basement garage, I won't see anything below 75 until October...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Figure 8-5 on pg 68.

There are four frames in one illustration.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, ok.  We are, quite literally, on the same page.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Eddy still has a few gremlins(front brakes and oil in the combustion chamber being main ones). But for now I'm using him 'as is'.

This was the first trial load, a yard of 'damp' mulch...

It carried the load with ease, but I would probably stick with a yard at a time.

The next load was more of a challenge, a yard of clumpy wet fill dirt... I probably won't do this one again. I will need a few more loads of dirt, but it will be sifted topsoil and I'll only take it if it's dry.

The suspension still had a couple of inches, maybe 3 before bottoming out, but there was significantly less than that between the bigger tires and the fender. Still, Eddy came through his first trial like a champ!
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob - Eddy looks to be enjoying getting out and being useful.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice work truck!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
TOO nice for a work truck!  ðŸ˜‰
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I did a bit more driving yesterday. First I went to fill the jerry cans for the lawn mower fuel. I took Eddy instead of the Toyota to stretch his legs again with some enthusiastic driving. When I got to the gas station the throttle remained open when I stopped(at about 1200RPM or so), a blip of the peddle got it back down to idle. I popped the hood to check the cable, but nothing appeared out of place. Maybe I should add the aftermarket return spring back on the bracket...

After dropping off the fuel at home it was back out to get more mulch. But as I was starting the truck at home there was an explosion of sorts under the driver's side dash! It happened as I turned the key, the starter might have turned, but the truck did not start. It was a burst of air with some foam pieces hitting my legs, that was soon followed by some smoke(could have been vapor, there was no burning smell)... I got out to look underneath there, but could not see anything smoldering and the smoke soon dissipated...

At a loss for what it could have been and not wanting to leave the truck in the middle of the driveway, I tried to start it back up. And it did, first time. I left it running and checked everything electrical, all worked. I backed down to the basement garage where I could leave it if there was an issue. Got back out, checked under the dash again, checked under the hood. It was hot under the hood, but other than that, I couldn't see anything out of place. When I tried to start it again, the starter turned over real slow. I think I've read somewhere that can happen when it gets real hot? I tried it again and it fired up. So hoping for the best I went ahead and picked up the mulch, two loads of 1.5 yards. No dramas.

I did notice that applying the brake pedal elicited a 'woosh', more so when stationary. The pedal is still firm and the braking appears unaffected. Definitely wasn't there before the 'explosion' though. I thought the foam might have been from the piece around the rod coming from the booster, but no, that's still in place. And why would the booster have done anything starting the truck? Surely it had to have been something to do with the ignition. But if there was an electrical fault, it would now be broken? No idea what happened. Any thoughts?
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sac79 wrote
 But as I was starting the truck at home there was an explosion of sorts under the driver's side dash! It happened as I turned the key, the starter might have turned, but the truck did not start. It was a burst of air with some foam pieces hitting my legs, that was soon followed by some smoke(could have been vapor, there was no burning smell)... I got out to look underneath there, but could not see anything smoldering and the smoke soon dissipated...

No idea what happened. Any thoughts?
Is your truck air conditioned?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like maybe you had a backfire through the carb.  That will pressurize the intake and push pressure into the brake booster.  I wonder if it can blow into the cab when that happens?

And that would explain why you have a whooshing sound when you hit the brakes - the booster is probably blown.

There are tests for the booster on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and on the Overall tab and then the General Brake Service tab.  Page 5.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you remove the check valve at the booster inlet -with the engine off- you should hear a woosh, because the booster (should be) vacuum tight.
 Jim,
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16