EFI For Dad's 400

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
67 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EFI For Dad's 400

Dusty A
Yeah I use the stock box setup on my 95. I think it would draw cooler air anyway compared to the conical that’s exposed to hot air under the hood.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
85lebaront2 wrote
...the rare CA only MAF 460 air filter...
Yep - I'd never seen that anywhere, including in Ford documentation.  Good to know.
Gary Lewis wrote
...may figure out out to get it in behind the kick panel.

I never got a drop of water inside, with all my slogging through the mud in Louisiana, or the hosing it off after every trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dusty A
I used the stock inlet duct from a 1995 or so I grabbed at Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach. I do not want a "hot air package" so will not use an underhood intake, mine goes through to behind the outer part of the grille and with the baffles Jim brought me, even in traffic I am fairly sure I do not get hot air pulled in.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dusty & Bill - I agree that it isn't good to pull hot air into the inlet.  Even though the EFI systems measure the inlet air temp and adjust for it, that decreases the power available as it decreases the amount of air and fuel in the cylinder.  (But that's less bad than what happens to a carb setup, the vast majority of which can't compensate for temp.)

So I'll figure out a way to pull in outside air.  And, I've even thought about a snorkel.  

Steve - I knew you had done that, so thanks for sharing the pic links.  But, I'm not thrilled with fiberglassing to close things up.  Not that I don't like fiberglass or don't know how to do it as I've done a fair bit.  And I assume you used epoxy resin?  But I'd like to use sheetmetal.  How feasible would that be in your estimation?

Or, to put it another way, could you outline what you had to do.  IIRC the later e-brake mechanism was part of that - right?

I may do this on Big Blue but really doubt that I do it on Dad's pristine firewall, so I'd bet his ECU goes under the seat as I'd planned.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...could you outline what you had to do.
I looked at a few '87-91 firewalls in the JYs to get an idea where the EEC belongs, and where its hole should be.  I laid out the top & bottom of the hole, and the Left (outboard) side, and cut those 3 sides.  Then I folded the flap of sheet metal straight forward to expose the hole width that I wanted, and made sure the EEC fit in it.  I fiberglassed it to make it watertight (and to give a little more surface area on the inboard edge for the rubber seal to press against), ground it all flush, and had the whole body painted.

At that time, I didn't know how to weld, have a welding machine, or know any welders I thought would want to do such a small job for anything close to what I could do it for in fiberglass.

During assembly, I found that the e-brake interfered with the EEC, so I slotted the e-brake holes in the firewall to move it inboard.
Gary Lewis wrote
IIRC the later e-brake mechanism was part of that - right?
No, the later ('92-96/7) e-brake attaches to the big Aluminum column support, which only fits the '92-96/7 firewall.  Mine is an '80-91 e-brake pedal (probably '83 or '82).
Gary Lewis wrote
...doubt that I do it on Dad's pristine firewall...
It's entirely NOT-visible when the EEC seal is installed, even if the tire & wheelwell are removed.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Here is how I did mine, I cut a piece from an old Sears washing machine rear access panel. I then cut the firewall vertically up the inside of the left airbox so I could put the EEC as far to the left as possible. I laid out the EEC opening with it's cover and the two firewall side connectors (76 pin and 24 pin) so I had enough room between them. I then made a cardboard mockup and used it to mark the inside of the firewall. Before I started cutting I attached the 1992 up column, dash and parking brake support to locate the center of the intermediate steering shaft path. Once I had everything laid out, I took my Dewalt sawzall and cut out the old section. I used the cardboard mockup to transfer the hole locations to the larger replacement section, drilled a couple of starter holes to locate the piece, caulked the entire perimeter and used self drilling and tapping sheet metal screws.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, I think I have it - for the time being.  But, when I get into Big Blue I'm certain to have more questions.

I want to use Big Blue as my prototype to figure out what to do for Dad's truck.  If I come up with a slick way to put the ECU left of the e-brake pedal then I may actually cut the firewall.  But, it'll have to be a relatively minor thing to do as I don't want to do much to it.

As for how to attach things, I do have a welder and can surely weld in a piece to the firewall and then get that part painted to "match".  But, I'll leave the way to do it open until I get further into it.

Having said that, it won't be a piece out of a Sears anything.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI