Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 351 Cam upgrade query

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Rembrant wrote
You know you're a gearhead when you can appreciate a picture of a oily pair of SBF cylinder heads;)
FIFY.  

By the way Don, how old is your son?
Is this some sort of 'bonding' project for you two?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I didn't see the pic of his heads.     *swoon
You know you're a gearhead when you can appreciate a picture of a clean set of SBF cylinder heads;)

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sorry that I haven't been able to reply much today. Contractors cut a fiber line between our two main buildings at work. Spent all afternoon working with my other network guy to get traffic rerouted, working and people happy. Then sit with the contractors waiting for Charter Spectrum to show up to splice the 24 strand fiber to restore 1GB connectivity. I didn't get pictures of the ends of the heads. Looks like I have the Plugs already right? There are four total, one on each end of each head. And "Yes", this project is a bonding type of things with my son. We've never really had anything for just us. If you look at my Father's Day post, I reference how my son (Chance now 23) is getting me interested in fixing The Beast. When the engine overheated earlier this year and started puffing white smoke it got left to sit while life kept moving on. He wants us to do as much as we can together and have fun with it. I'm glad to have a son that wants to do this with me. It means a lot to me because I wish my Dad and I could've done something like this. The other big surprise was that he not only got one head redone and bought another, he has a shop here in Dallas that will completely rebuild the engine for me for $750. I'm waiting for him to give me the full details on what they'll do. All I know is that it's a little known gem in the car scene here supposedly. Again, I don't have all the details yet. Once I can get that information I'll post it here of what they're going to do for us. Last but not least, on Father's Day I told Chance that I'd have to wait to save up the money to have the engine rebuilt. About a week ago he sat me down and told me that he was ready that day to pay the $750 himself to get The Beast back on the road because he knows how much I enjoy driving it. As a Father I'm beyond proud of my son being willing to do that for me. Makes me wonder what I ever did to deserve a son like this. As a parent I've always wondered if I was doing things right. Well, I've got my answer! Ok, enough being mushy.... Here's the Pic of Chance and I on Father's Day this year. To try to keep things straight I've created a Google Spreadsheet to keep things on one page of what to do/look at. Please let me know if I've missed something and/or add notes.

Thanks guys.

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Fiber cuts.    Been there, done that, got the .  We called it "contractor fade".

Anyway, your son is amazing!  You have every right to be proud.  

On the heads, it does look like they put the plugs in on both ends of both heads.  But, just FYI, the plugs they appear to have used are the adapters that step that 5/8" size down to probably 3/8" for the bolts for the accessories.  One end of the heads already had those plugs and the other end was open to take the injected air.  But it looks like they added the adapters to both ends.

The beauty of that is you can't get the heads on wrong - as some people have done.  

And $750 to rebuild the engine is a STEAL!  Surely that doesn't include the parts, which can easily top $500.  But still, it is a very nice price.

As for the spreadsheet, would you be interested in embedding it instead of providing a link?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Well you've been busy putting out fires all day!
Infrastructure, I understand (polishing and mounting fiber splices)
Administering networks..... not so much.

It's wonderful that you get a 'Chance' to spend time with your son!   👑<-- King (you've done well as father)
You two make a great team!

I mentioned where I was with my son in Quarterwave's thread and completely derailed the joy of a first drive.   😞

Yeah, it looks like I made a point of nothing.
I don't know how they have them plugged, but they appear to be.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Correction!
No, the ports are above those slugs.

Those are rebuilder warranty tags on the freeze plugs.
Made of solder (or similar) they will melt if you overheat the head.
Warranty will be denied if they are damaged. (Check your paperwork)

Edit: small screen and rain covered glasses do not make a good combination.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, your son is amazing!  You have every right to be proud.  
Agreed, and good story too. I'm going to subscribe to this one.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Maybe Don should start a "351 upgrade" project thread?  ðŸ˜‰
Should we do this?  I guess this is going to turn into a project thread.

Gary?  Go ahead and move it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don - I don't know where to move it.  Have you started another thread?  I can only move it to an existing thread.

As for the file, to embed something it has to be on a server like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.  Something that has an embedding option.  I have most of my embedded files on OneDrive and can walk you through how to do that or Google Drive if you want.

And, if I were to embed it then it'd be my file to edit.  But you are the one that needs to edit it.

So, do you have an account on one of those servers?

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Here's the new post I created if you can move it there.

Don's (Pebcak) 351 upgrade Project

I have the file on Google Drive already.  I'll get it posted tomorrow.  Getting ready to spend some TV time with the Mrs.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do TV time with Janey, so I understand.

But you need to tell me how much of this thread to move to the new one.  I can move the whole thing or I can select a post to move, but any replies to that post get moved as well.  And, since most of this thread is serial replies about everything will go.

Then I can come back and kill these off-topic posts about moving.

As for the file:

- Open your Google Drive via a browser

- Navigate to the file you want to embed

- Double-click the file to open it in a browser tab

- In the upper right click the 3 dots and then click Open In A New Window

- In the upper right of the new window click the three dots and then click Embed Item

- Copy the code you see that looks like "<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_mKg2XmZpz-EA38NigPib8NhrEFl6phh/preview" width="840" height="480"></iframe>"

- Paste that code into your post, but make sure you tick the Message is in HTML Format box

- Click Preview Message.  If, as I suspect, it ain't WYSIWYG, then we'll have to do some tuning.  You can play with the width and height parameters and see if you can dial it in that way.  But that doesn't work too well on Google and is one of the reasons I moved to OneDrive.  Microsoft gives you more control.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's no big thing Don.
Just another box to tick on your spreadsheet.

If you're still unclear on what needs done I'm sure Gary can point you to a thread of his on FTE.
Or, I can try to 'splain it in 'foodese'  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Go ahead and move it.  I also got to embed the sheet correctly above.

Gary Lewis wrote
But you need to tell me how much of this thread to move to the new one.  I can move the whole thing or I can select a post to move, but any replies to that post get moved as well.  And, since most of this thread is serial replies about everything will go.

Then I can come back and kill these off-topic posts about moving.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Don's (Pebcak) 351 upgrade Project

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Okay, it's done...      
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don, I just hit your Drive asking for access.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
I got you. Took a min cause I was dealing with things here at work.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I've got you.  

I just wanted to make sure you replied to my latest post, because I renamed it.

If you were to reply to other posts in this thread the notification would be 'off'

Thanks for sharing!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job, Jim.

Don - Have you embedded the file?  I haven't seen it and want to document the instructions for others to follow - if they work.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Yes sir.

It's back up where I previously tried on page 3.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019, 18:03 Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good job, Jim.

Don - Have you embedded the file?
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Don-s-Pebcak-351-upgrade-Project-tp33098p33192.html
To unsubscribe from 351 Cam upgrade query, click here.
NAML