classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bucket Seat Seatbelt Standup Thingee?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm looking for the inboard seatbelt standup "thingee" that holds the inboard seatbelt in the air so you don't have to go fishing for it when you have bucket seats or captain's chairs.  I've circled what I'm looking for in red in the illustration below and show one in the pic below that.

However, the one in the pic is falling apart on the top end, probably due to UV killing the plastic, and the bottom end of the seatbelt is non-existent.  So I need new or at least far better ones.  Two - a left and a right, preferably in blue.

I know we have talked about this before so I should be able to find them with a search, but so far I've not come up with the right terminology.  Obviously "thingee" ain't it.  So if anyone knows the right search terms, or a source for them, or has some I'd certainly appreciate it.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bucket Seat Seatbelt Standup Thingee?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, with more sleuthing I found a post in my own thread, Big Blue's Transformation, where these are discussed.  Turns out they are called "inboard sleeves" and Seatbelts Plus has them for the left side and the right side for $30 each.  However they are for Jeeps and only come in black.  But Tony, the man that I spoke to, thought they should work for a Ford.  However, he said they are a pain to get the seatbelts into because of the twist in them.

I'll keep looking as I'd prefer to find them in blue and w/o the severe twist, so if anyone knows where some are please let me know.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Next up, was Seatbelt Solutions.  Turns out they don't sell components, but suggested I call <a href="https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/search.html?fitment=1985|Ford|Bronco">Seatbelt Planet.  I called and talked to Will and he said he is pretty sure that Seatbelt Solutions uses the same sleeve for both Jeeps and Broncos and that they are only available in black.  But he didn't have the part number so is going to call them and then email it to me.  And they are $30 each as well.

Also, he said they are a "ginormous pain" to install the belt into.  You have to get something like a coat hanger wrapped around the lower end of the belt, use a heat gun to soften the plastic, and then pull the belt through.  Sounds like the same thing that Tony warned me about.

In addition he said they used to have a bracket that was used for the shorter 12" sleeves, which I think are what LMC is selling.  But they've discontinued those for these longer sleeves.  The LMC ones are shown below and don't have the twist in them, so I can see how you'd need a bracket to get the seatbelt to be where you want it.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I got one for the old 86 at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, I think LMC has them also.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I'd like to find a set of these for a bench seat as well.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Dane - JBG shows to be out of stock, as shown below.  And their pic looks to be exactly the same as the ones for the Jeep that I posted previously.

As for LMC, I found the 12" ones that don't have a twist in them and aren't right for our trucks.  But when I tried to explore further, after having told the catalog that I was looking at a 1980 - 96 Bronco I got the Select Your Vehicle popup.  And as I've said before, I will not play that game.  So LMC is out.

But speaking of the Jeep sleeves, Will @ Seatbelt Planet emailed Neil, who is the owner of Seatbelt Planet and got this response: "Yes, the sleeve on our Bronco kit (DF4) is the same as our Wrangler sleeves (DJP8 and DJP9)."  So I've emailed them back saying I want to buy a pair of their sleeves.  We shall see what they say.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Oh, out of stock doesn't help!

The twist was easier than I thought it would be, used a heat gun, gently or not close. Already had a string tied to it, and with a little heat it came right through.

Edit: Sorry Gary, I missed that you mentioned LMC in your post. I played the game for you!

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/seat-belts/ford-buckle-sleeves
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - It isn't nice to try to trick Mother Nature.  When I click on your link here's what I see.  But the ones in the background are the short ones that aren't right for our trucks.

EDIT: I'm glad the twist wasn't that much of an issue for you.  I'll try the same thing - a string and heat.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Dane - It isn't nice to try to trick Mother Nature.  When I click on your link here's what I see.  But the ones in the background are the short ones that aren't right for our trucks.

EDIT: I'm glad the twist wasn't that much of an issue for you.  I'll try the same thing - a string and heat.

Well, that website seems bound and determined to make us use that menu!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, which is why LMC may have lost this sale.  I'd really like to give them my business, but I am not going to fight that catalog.

So I just ordered from Seatbelt Planet. Total was $65.97, inc tax and shipping.  Should have them in a few days as they are in stock in OKC.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
LMC website is horrible.

I would buy more from them but the UX is so bad.

Looking forward to the seatbelt solution as i need this too
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've tagged Keith/FORDification to this thread as he is Mr Ford for LMC.  I know he's said he can't fix the catalog, but he needs to see how many of us hate their UX (user interface) and how much business they are losing.  Perhaps he can keep telling upper management about this and finally get them to fix it.

By the way, Will at Seatbelt Planet said that one of their most popular services is rewebbing.  They put new belts/webbing on your ends and buckles in whatever color you want.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I'm late to the party again, but when I needed sleeves for my Bronco I went to a junk yard and pulled the inner sleeve with its section of the seat belt.  I then pulled the belt out and put the new belt I already had in.  Yes the twist was a bit of a pain, but I don't think mine twisted quite that tight.  I don't recall what I got the belts out of.  It might have been a Ford pickup!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the Ford ones don't have as much of a twist, or maybe just not as abrupt of a twist.

But around here where we have copious UV the sheaths are toast.  I have three of them and none are usable.  The one in the pic above is the best and even it is rotting away at the top where the sun could hit it.

I'll post back when I get them and 'splain how easily the belts go in.   

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Following. I'll need whatever solution is determined here also, in blue.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got to wondering how the sheaths will fit when I slide the seat base forward, so I installed this old one to see.  It is hard and cracked, but it would work.  Hopefully the new sheaths are more pliable and won't really mind.

But in the pic I also spotted some numbers on that sheath and then got to looking.  Pics below, but the numbers are:

TRW H-9470H-9472 4130 on the side, and 35950 A REGENCY 35912A on the bottom

TRW H-9471H-9473 4130 on the side, and 35963 A REGENCY 35913A on the bottom

I've not found those numbers, but I'm still looking.  Perhaps one of y'all can?

Here's what's on the bottoms which goes against the floor:

And here are the numbers on the sides:

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
TRW is one of the seatbelt manufacturers from our era. American Safety and Allied Signal are others.

I'm thinking they are internal numbers for the manufacturing process.

TRW still exists ...  But would they have records?  
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, this isn't going well at all.

I've tried everything I can think of and cannot get the end of the seatbelt, the bit that bolts to the floor, through the sheath. As you can see in the video the plate hits the twist kerthunk. And no amount of hot air, hot water, or lubrication has done anything but deform the sheath a bit.

I've broken the doubled Nylon string multiple times where it wraps around the hole in the plate, so I've padded that with tape. And placing it in the vise lets me pull on the sheath with both hands - wearing gloves. But regardless of how hard I've pulled the plate doesn't get past the point where it hits the twist.

So, here's my plan:
  1. New Belts: On Monday I'll call Seatbelt Planet and see if they'll sell a pair of sheaths with the inboard belts. (I'll also ask if they have a trick on getting the plate through there but don't really have any expectation that they have a better idea than what I've tried.)
  2. Stitching: If they don't sell just the inboard belt at a reasonable price I'm thinking of cutting the stitching so the plate can be removed and then put back on after feeding it through the sheath. But I don't know what that would cost nor how quickly I could get it done.

Anyone have a better idea????

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator