Bucket Seat Seatbelt Standup Thingee?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bucket Seat Seatbelt Standup Thingee?

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm surprised, I remember it went easily with heat. Bummer!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - I think the second ones would, assuming the receivers will fit my belts, but at $225 they are pretty spendy.  I appreciate it, but maybe Seatbelt Planet has what I need for less.

But a good pair of just the sleeves would work.  Or, maybe a bad pair?  It looks to me like the factory sheath are just enough larger than the ones from Seatbelt Planet to let the straight part of the new ones fit inside an old sheath.  And since it is usually the top of the sheath that gets brittle this might be a way to fix earlier ones.

However, one of the pair of old sheaths is broken down low so isn't a candidate for grafting the new upper on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Those are at a "less-bad" price, David.  Would bolt right in.  But that's still a lot of money.  Thanks, but....

Dane - I'm convinced it will not go through.  And the more I think about it the more I think Seatbelt Planet should take them back even though the one is somewhat deformed.  They told me they'd fit and they won't.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Those are at a "less-bad" price, David.  Would bolt right in.  But that's still a lot of money.  Thanks, but....

Dane - I'm convinced it will not go through.  And the more I think about it the more I think Seatbelt Planet should take them back even though the one is somewhat deformed.  They told me they'd fit and they won't.
As I've said my remeberer don't work as good as it used to.

But I've been thinking, I seem to remember trying it after putting the sleeve in boiling water and also with a heat gun. Maybe I did them with boiling water.

I looked at the pictures on Seat Belt Planet and JBG, and they look similar if not identical.

A "thunk" is not good though.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - If boiling water will do it then perhaps I should try that.  I could pull out the camp stove that is ready to be loaded for the trip, set it on the work table where the heat gun is in that video, and boil away.  That would let me have the string already clamped in the vise and be able to use both gloved hands on the sleeve.

As for the source, I think that is Seatbelt Solutions.  They don't sell to consumers, just to dealers.  So I'd bet that those from Seatbelt Planet, Seatbelts Plus, JBG, etc are the same.

Speaking Seatbelts Plus, I found this advert as I was scrolling through my news feed last night.  Yep, it is a black sheath with seatbelt for $53.  I paid $30 for the sheath alone, and at least one of my sheaths is returnable, so if the boiling water doesn't work then perhaps Seatbelt Planet has the sheath/belt combo in stock?

So my plan is to call them in the morning and confirm that boiling water is the way to go.  But check to see if they have the seatbelt and sheath combo for that price, and in stock.  Then I'll try boiling water and if it works I'll be set.  If not, we'll stop by on our trip and pick up the completed units and return the others.  The map below is of the Edmund/OKC area and normally we'd be going through on the Kilpatrick turnpike, which is show in green below.  But if we get off and go north 1 mile we'll be at their site.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Hi Gary, if you are using the OBS seat pan to mount the captain chairs, you will need the OBS seat belt receivers. That’s what I put in my ‘81 and functionally they are perfect. There is a slit for the center seat belt which I removed, but the slits don’t really show with the console installed. I think David’s first link is the OBS type. Sorry I didn’t catch this thread sooner before you ordered something that didn’t work ☹️
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jonathan.  But I'm not using the seat pan, I'm using a platform I built out of angle and bench seat legs.

I assume that the reason is that the pan's opening for the seat belts is 6" ahead of the hole in the floor for the belt - right?  Oddly enough, when my platform is fully forward using the bench seat adjuster the front edge of the rear angle is also 6" forward of the hole in the floor.  And while it looks like the sheaths I have will lay down well enough when the platform slides forward, using the later seat belts would make it easier.

However, the pic below from the advert for the 92 - 97 seatbelts doesn't look like there's really 6" of forward run before they turn up.  Am I missing something?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I looked at David’s link and ouch… they are proud of those. I think that is a big reach and you could find a decent deal on them. I don’t remember anymore if I bought an additional set. I was on the fence about using the OBS seat pan in my crew cab. They are not super common to find in good shape at the junkyard but they are not super rare either.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary I will measure mine when I get home. I do not think that they run forward 6” but rather turn 90* upward immediately so that the sheath stays above the seat pan. I don’t know if this would work with your angle iron set up or not. I did find a set in blue… probably not the correct blue but at least it is in the spectrum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125513665433?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NKz6R2vBSOa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bIK-KD-_SJK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
$125? Ouch.

I'm about to do this project too. Can I not just use my factory bench seat belts?

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Ray, the bench seat belt sheaths won’t really hold the belt receiver up where you can reach it. They just have a twist to hold the buckle perpendicular to the bench, but they won’t hold it up off of the floor.

Gary, I looked at your picture of the red captain chairs, and if that bracket is what you are using in Big Blue I would personally not want seat belts running under that metal bracket. I would think this could create a pressure point on the web that could be an issue in the event of a violent collision. It “probably” would not break or cut the belt but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. I would try for the up-and-over design that Ford used for the seat pans, and possibly think about adding a rounded surface to that angle iron to diffuse the pressure of any potential contact point. It is hard to tell from the photos how the belt would pull in a wreck, but it is something to look at.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gotcha. I just ordered Raybuck's 25V Blue vinyl upholstery for these buckets. Manufacturer is "Seatz". They include the bronco eddie bauer pattern in the middle back, so that ought to be interesting.

I might reuse my bench seat belts and make a heavy guage steel wire "loom" to hold them up, instead of fighting this issue like Gary is. I'll let yall know what I come up with.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Wow, lots of posts while we’ve been running errands today. But I have a bit to report.

I talked with Chris at Seatbelt Planet and it turns out that they have a plate they put on the ends of the belts, right below, which is both tapered and narrower than the rectangular Ford plate, which is on the left below. Theirs is 1 7/16” where the Ford one is 1 5/8”, and that difference might be the issue.

They can take the end off mine and put theirs on for $20/belt, and then another $10/belt to pull it through the sleeve.

But they think the boiling water trick might work, so I’m going to try that tomorrow. If that doesn’t work they have me scheduled to replace the ends a week from tomorrow as we pass through OKC.

As for the edge of the pan or platform cutting the belt, I don’t think that will be a problem with my platform since I won’t be driving the truck with the platform slid forward. Instead I’ll be using the adjustment on the seats themselves. But I can see that might be a problem with the Ford pan, and is something to seriously consider.

I’ll post some pics tomorrow if the belt routing with my platform, and see if I can dig up some pics of the routing with the pan.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I forgot to say that Seatbelt Planet doesn't sell just the inside belt.  Apparently there are several different tang/tongue sizes/styles on seatbelts and they don't know that theirs will fit with yours.  So they don't sell them separately.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No joy in Mudville.  Lots of things to report, but not success with the smaller sheath.  I'm throwing in the towel on these sheaths & the Ford end plates, as explained below.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  I set up the ancient Coleman propane camp stove, lit it, and found a bit more fire than expected.    (If you don't see it look in the lower left of the pic.)

I pulled the needles out and found that the grommets have shrunk and there was no repairing w/o a kit. So I made a run to the local Wallyworld and got a new stove.  I set it up like is shown below, but with two Nylon strings, brought the water up to a boil, held the sheath and belt in it for several minutes, and then pulled so hard I broke the strings.

So I switched to the wire, boiled it again, and pulled HARD.  But all I got was the bump shown in the pic on the right, which is where the corner of the plate hits.  No amount of boiling, twisting, pulling, etc was going to get that plate through.

I'm not sure what I want to do now.  I still have that appointment a week from today for them to put their smaller & tapered plate on the end of the belts, but that's another $60 bucks.  However I've already spent that much so may do it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Also, I promised pics of how the belt hits my platform.  But before I show you those I need to explain that I have one factory sheath that was salvageable by trimming the top a bit where it was splitting.  So I put the right belt in it and bolted it to the floor for these pics.

In the left pic the platform is all the way back, which is where I'll have it for driving and just use the adjusters on the seats.  You can see that the belt comes up ahead of the retaining bolt.

But in the pic on the right the platform is all the way forward and the sheath is flattened against the floor.  And if the platform was in that position when you had an accident it would put quite a strain on the angle and the belt.  However, I don't think that longer sheaths would make a difference as the belt would still hit in the same spot on the angle.

Bottom line is that the platform should be kept to the rear while driving.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I don't get it. Has to be a different size. Which you've probably mentioned.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the one that Seatbelt Planet installs is 1 7/16" and tapered on the front while the Ford plate is 1 5/8" and has hard, 90 degree corners.  So the extra width and the square shoulders appears to be the problem.

Which means, those sheaths do not work for Fords, at least if you are using Ford belts.