classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
172 messages Options
123456 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another round of projects.

IDIBronco
That is some good information.  I did however already remove all the egr, and vacuum stuff.  I received the cheap replacement carb and installed it, but have not moved much farther forward on the truck yet.  I am pretty sure I need to pull the transmission and change the flywheel as the ring gear must have some teeth knocked off.  

The welder on the other hand...  I fabricated some straps for the fuel tank and painted the tank, straps, and bracket.  I also got a new cork fuel bowl gasket, brass screen, and glass bowl and got the small gas drip stopped.  Just generic parts from the farm store.  Yesterday afternoon I moved the welder from the pallet I had it parked on to one of the trailers I got with the truck.  The to do list on the welder has become very short.  

I got a new kill switch, start switch, and choke cable in the mail yesterday.  I need to install those and rewire the welder 12 volt charging system eventually.  It has a generator and external voltage regulator.  If the generator gives me issue I will swap a delco alternator on.  Since the welder has a magneto, the charging system is not required to run.  I can just install a battery to start or jump.
Even the air compressor would be able to use the same battery and it's charging system is functional. I need to make a set of heavy weld leads for this machine (I have 100 ft of cable on hand already).  Finally, I want to do an additional oil change with seafoam treatment.  That is the end of the list I want to do before starting to use the welder.  Another couple of project days and it will be back up to a working state.  I haven't decided how restored I want to make the welder.

The air compressor has the motor installed and is still waiting on a carb kit to arrive (Saturday). It only needs some simple wiring and to figure out a fuel tank.  I have had it running, installed 2 new belts, and upgraded the drive pulley from a 4 inch to 6 inch.  

When I do some interesting work again I will have pictures.  The work lately was too boring to get pictures.

Once I get the compressor on the trailer I will get some pictures.  

Progress is slow, but still progress.

1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That sounds like a lot of little things, which add up to PROGRESS!  And, as Jim says, progress is GOOD!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I appreciate the support.  I know projects tend to go fast and then hit a problem and slow down.  This project has been crippled by waiting for shipping.  I occasionally do suffer from a bad case of analysis paralysis...  Having trouble deciding what the "right" solution to an issue may be and end up spending (wasting) a lot of time researching in manuals, forums, or in discussion (sometimes with myself...).  This single issue is what tends to lengthen my projects the most.  Often, I find no decision is worse than the wrong decision.  I know the fuel tank strap issue on the welder was a solid 3 days of trying to find an acceptable solution since my Google skills didn't turn up a proper replacement.  In the end it was just bending up some 1 inch by 1/8 inch steel and cutting up some innertube to make the straps and rubber to protect the tank.  Looking back it was a simple choice, however...

I spent several days trying to find stainless steel strap material to make new straps.  I could have bought stainless banding strap and the tools to make bands up, but it was cost prohibitive.  The straps that where on the tank where plain steel banding and had rusted off.   The new straps, while not original, should hold up quite well and we're only probably about 10 dollars worth of materials.

It is overcoming the little issues and decisions that keep the progress coming.  
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, Progress is Good!  

I probably would have asked one of my lumberyard guys for 10' of banding and spot welded it together.
If it can hold a 20 ton load together after being -literally- dumped off a -moving- truck, the tank isn't going anywhere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I considered just taking the tank and brackets up to the local ag dealer.  I do a little machine work for them from time to time and they probably would have done that for me.  They have a banding set they could have strapped the tank right to the brackets and been done, but I figured it would have to go in and out a few times maybe yet.  So a solution that would bolt down was desirable.  

This morning I am laying out the start/kill switches and choke in the panel.  They had previously been located on the other end of the welder below the radiator, but all the controls are on the generator end of the welder...

Didn't make sense to have to walk to the other end to start the machine.  

I figure the weld lead will be routed to the other side of the Exciter housing and the switches and choke are out of the way of the fuel shut off handle (previous owner installed an extension).  I placed the choke so I could pull it out with one hand and still press the red start switch with my thumb on the same hand.   Hopefully it will function as I plan.

Now to run some wires and choke cable.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
Got the wiring installed to the switches and routed the choke cable And trimmed to length.  So nice to not have to jump the solenoid and reach for the choke to get it to start.

Few little things to clean up and the welder will be ready for any job that comes up.  I got the trailer landing gear jack freed up and starting to think of how I want to do the trailer wiring.

Will just keep chipping away at it.  If Sunday weather permits I will try to pull the starter off the truck and inspect the flywheel gear.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your "chipping away" is getting a lot done.  It is going to be quite functional very soon.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
That does look a lot easier to deal with!  

Surprised the PO hadn't done it years ago.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I understand having the startup and choke on the motor end to help remind people to check oil/water, but having the kill switch on the welder end just seems like a smarter layout in case you are working and have an issue.

The compressor definitely makes air and the drive pulley change looks acceptable for compressor speed. I have to do a lot more testing to verify the tank is safe before pressuring it up fully. I also need to test the compressor unloading valves and controls. And make sure the air cylinder that idles the motor works...
BUT the compressor works.

More progress all the time.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's cool!  You really are peeling this onion in a hurry.  You are going to have a Blooming Onion really soon!  

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I have never thought of it quite that way before.  I usually think of the life giving me lemons and trying to keep from getting lemonade that is too sour...

Hopefully once I get the welder and compressor back to working shape I will focus more on the (forum appropriate part of the project) truck...

I just figured some might find a piece of something useful in the whole scope of the project so I decided to include these other parts.  Plus chances are good both the welder and air compressor will be used on this and other projects in the future.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't feel bad about including the welder and air compressor.  They are a neat part of the project and we love reading about those things.  Keep it coming!

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
No big progress as we took the day to run to the "big city" to get some groceries and I even managed to hit the welding supply before they closed to get a couple new welder lead terminal posts with insulators.  I probably could have left the old ones, but there was a bit of cracking in the insulating material and I had a bit of concern there could be a short through the sheet metal from terminal to terminal.  Probably 250 plus amps or more at Max setting with just sheet metal would be a good recipe for a big problem.  74 dollars worth of good investment I think.  Weather permitting they get installed tomorrow and install the leads finally.

Maybe some pictures of the welder on the trailer once I get that knocked out.  I just keep trying to fix a little every day.  
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, 250A through sheet metal would be cause for alarm!  I like the safe approach.

And pictures would be cool!  

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
A small bit of progress before the rain fired up here.

Installed the welding lead posts.

I also have a couple of trailer pictures as promised, nothing too exciting though. I may turn the welder the other direction on the trailer, but I need to make some other decisions first.

The trailer fits the welder pretty well with room for the compressor, maybe a pickup toolbox, and I will probably make a place to hold my torch bottles.

I worked a few hours on the compressor this afternoon. I ran an air hose from the shop about 100 feet outside to the portable tank and used the shop compressor to pressure the tank to proof pressure test the tank. I heard the pneumatic controls operate around 170 psi and I knew the tank had a 200 psi safety valve so I removed safety valve and plugged the hole. I pressured the tank to 210 psi on shop air. I figure that is enough overpressure to be safe. I know the compressor "shouldn't" go to over maybe 175 psi and the tank safety will release at 200 psi. Now I trust the tank. So I spent the rest of the time this afternoon fabricating a bracket to operate the throttle since the original bracket wouldn't work with the new motor sheet metal. I got to test the setup a bit before the rain got bad enough to send me to the house.

Pretty pleased once again.

1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think your testing of the tank is good.  Should easily be safe.

On the trailer, you have a LOT of weight on the tongue.  If you put the compressor towards the rear will that balance things out a bit, but still leave ~15% of the weight on the tongue?

And the controls stop the compressor by disengaging a clutch when the pressure gets to 175, but leave the motor running?

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
This post was updated on .
I have tested tanks previously by filling with water before pressuring with air.  A water filled tank is much safer as there is a lot less potential energy stored in the tank.  If it ruptures as soon as the initial surge of water leaves it fizzles out.  It is even better if you have the air input just barely cracked so the supply fills slowly.  It wasn't practical for me on this tank to fill with water so I moved it pretty far away from anything I was concerned with damaging and used the airlines to gain enough distance to feel "safe".  The tank I could see through a cracked door, but I had a wall and truck mostly separated a direct path to me.

The function of the compressor is a bit different, it is a direct belt drive.  The pneumatic control at around 170 psi idles the motor with the small air actuator mounted to act on the throttle linkage between the governor arm and the carb, AND it also runs pressure up to unload the valves for the compressor so the compressor no longer makes air.  The compressor still turns and moves oil internally around to cool everything back down.  Then at about 160 psi the valve providing air to the control circuit shuts and the compressor loads and the engine goes back to full rpm.  Really I think they are a pretty good design.  I traded a load of firewood last fall for a small contractor style gasoline air compressor that needed work.  Took me a couple days of tinkering, but I got it all squared away and I learned quite a bit about the way the pneumatic controls work.  It is just a single stage compressor and tops out to 120 psi.  It is not very fast, but has proven very useful.  I loaded it up on the dump truck the days I went after the truck and trailers.  I have even used it to air arc with the welder a little and run an impact to change some tires.  That little compressor opened my eyes to how nice a bigger service truck style setup would be.  This compressor I have not been able to identify, but fortunately it has not required any parts to get going.  This is actually almost as good as our air compressor in the shop.  Hopefully if I treat it right it will have a lot of life left.  
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, a full tank of air has a whole lot of potential energy when filled to 170+ psi!  So limiting the air with water is a good idea.  

As for the controls, that's interesting.  I saw the valve working in the video, but didn't realize what it was doing.  That seems like a nice system as it keeps the pump turning to cool it, and keep its flywheel spinning if it has one.

You really have this thing worked out!  

Concerning having compressed air available, I'm looking forward to getting the 4 CFM/200 psi system installed on Big Blue.  Should be pretty handy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
This post was updated on .
I think I found a match to my air compressor.  I am thinking it looks like the same casting so pretty likely.  If it is the same it looks like a 19cfm compressor.  

If the output is linear (I am sure it isn't) and the Kohler where able to pull the compressor at governor controlled speed it would be outputting close to double the rated cfm.  I am close to double the recommended rpm if (a big if) the motor were able to spin the compressor fast enough to get to the governor slowing it down.  I am pretty sure I am hp limited to not be able to accomplish this at all pressures except for at an empty tank.  I will probably still go looking for a more appropriate sized pulley.

I do know at the moment the tank pressure climbs pretty fast.  I suspect the compressor could keep up with my impact no issue, and maybe enough air to run the sandblaster.  Eventually I will have to find out.

1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19
front mounted tow bar

300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
As a side note...

An "easy"/simple way to proof test pressure on a tank is to completely fill with water, and if you do not have means to easily take the tank to pressure higher then your compressor is capable of you can use a grease gun and a few fittings to pressure the tank up.  With a tee, pressure gauge, and a grease zerk you can get to most any pressure a tank you could want to test yourself should be taken too.  Grease is pretty inexpensive and easy to control.  You can always use your air compressor to help blow everything out afterwords.  If the tank ruptures water and grease are essentially incompressible so all you have is a mess, and not a bomb.

Just thought I would outline the thought a bit more.  Sometimes it helps to have just a bit more info.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

6.9 IDI
T19