CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About a reliable ignition coil

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Strange!  Why are the carbs on the ends of the manifolds instead of in the middle?  They look perfectly placed to have another one at the other end, but there isn’t one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Johns3524
Wasn’t a Monza a hot one?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool looking. What are those carbs?

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
A friend I was in the Marine Corps with had a 180 Turbo, man that thing would fly!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had a friend with a ‘65, but don’t remember what engine it had. Was a 4-speed, and knowing him it was probably a turbo.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
They look like Weber 48 IDA 3Ps which were used on the Porsche 911s engines, the regular 911s got Solex 3 barrel downdrafts that were a nightmare, no floats in the carbs, two float chambers, one on each side fed by a single electric pump. From there on each side another electric pump drew fuel from the float chamber and delivered it to the jet chamber on each carb body where the excess overflowed into a return pipe and back to the float chamber.

The only other system like that I have ever seen was used by Saab, downdrafts on the last of the 2-stroke sedans and sidedrafts on the Sonnet.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Monza was definitely more of a trim package, the 1965-67? Corsa was the performance model, 1962-64 the Spyder was the top engine and car package, 150 hp turbocharged, in 1965 the turbo engine became 180 hp and was a Corsa only option, Corsa base engine was the 140 hp 4 carb version.

Dad had a 1966 Corsa 180 hp 4 speed, he found a complete A/C system in a junkyard and bought it. The condenser on those sat just behind the air inlet to the engine compartment so it no longer sat over the cooling fan. He had to trim a little bit of the fins to clear the turbo, but other than that it fit and ran great. I found a 2 barrel adapter that was designed for a Stromberg WW carb, I took a Holley to Stromberg/Rochester/Carter small pattern and ordered in a small Holley that was set up to be used with a velocity governor and had a plug for the normal power valve passage and an adjacent one that passed through the governor body. I drilled and tapped a hole in the adapter and a mating one on the mounting surface so I could tee the power circuit to the boost gauge line ensuring enrichment under boost no matter what. 4th gear, 45 mph, boost would come up almost instantly.

I had a 1964 Monza 110 hp 4 speed, but my son had a neat 1965 Corsa. When we got it, it was an abandoned vehicle at a towing company lot. Engine was assembled with the heads backwards and the carbs and linkage on the 140 hp engine were fubar. Pulled the engine, went through it and found, Otto OT20 cam, .030 over cylinder sets, headers and glass packs. On reassembly got a pair of auxiliary (Chavy's name) carbs and late 65 up linkage. Original transaxle was rough, got a 1966 Saginaw and differential for it and stuck everything in it. Discovered the car had "heavy duty" suspension aka Handling package. Engine was somewhere between a stage I and stage II Yenko as far as power. I jetted the primary carbs one step lean and went two up on the secondaries. Damn car would leave a 5.0L fox body Mustang and corner like a slot car as long as you remembered DO NOT LIFT in a corner. He drove it all through high school until it got a bit cranky, then used my Horizon until he bought a 1999 Mustang V6 in 2000.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That isn't all of it, my first car was a 1964 Falcon my dad bought while I was at Parris Island, it was a 260 V8, 3 speed column shift with "factory air". I took over the payments when I got back in Feb 1966 and drove it until 1970 when I bought this:
1966 GT350

I finally sold the Falcon to a friend, then bought a 1963 Jetfire for more of a daily driver, it had almost every option available for that model. I drove the Jetfire and the Shelby back and forth. After I gave my late wife her engagement ring in the Shelby, I quietly told her to never tell me either it goes or I do, because I would help her pack.

We had a couple of station wagons, a 1970 1/2 Falcon and a 1971 Colony Park, then went to Chrysler corp mini vans for a while. After she passed away, I met my current wife on-line and the mini vans continued until last May when I traded the last one in on a 2011 Flex Limited.

In the mean time I acquired a 1985 LeBaron convertible with the 2.6L Mitsubishi, after the engine developed the Mitsubishi curse, a cracked head, I stuck something in it I had been working on for it:
Turbo II engine
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Maybe I have a year on you, I graduated HS June 1964 and used my parents two station wagons, a 1959 DeSoto shopper with the 295 hp 361 2 barrel and a 1962 Plymouth Belvedire with the polyspheric 318 2 barrel. I didn't have my own car till after I came back from my 6 months active duty in USMCR and took over the payments on the Falcon.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED