The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About a reliable ignition coil

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Gee, I recognize some things in that picture, power steering pump from Pete's used parts, my old air filter and a set of OMC valve covers, looks sharp with those on!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you.

And thanks for sharing everything you know!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Johns3524
The Duraspark with the 4 pin HEI really worked well. In the second pic, you see the HEI module was hidden under the plastic cover. This was a BII. That plastic cover was stock and covered some relays originally. I drilled a few holes for better air flow.Here are a couple pics.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tim Meyer is marketing a new distributor using the HEI 4-pin module.  Those things are reliable and easily sourced.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Use the 5 pin  out of an Oldsmobile and you can retain the spark retard while cranking....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - As we discussed yesterday, the retard during cranking is critical for Big Blue.  With the initial advance I have dialed it he starts perfectly as long as the retard works, but if it doesn't the engine kicks back.  So that 5-pin module seems like a good plan if using a GM unit.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't see anything wrong with the DS-II box.  However, the GM module is strong as well.  So I'm neither here nor there on that.

However, I'd ask Jim and Bill for their opinions.  They've played with these things more than I have.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wish Big Blue's 460 only turned 2200 when cruising.  Instead it is turning 2500 at 65 MPH.  Imagine that, the biggest engine they sold turning more R's than one of the smaller engines.    But wait until I get the ZF5 in it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, Darth's used to turn around that, Monday coming around Salisbury MD I was doing 70 at 1800 rpm.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the ZF ready to go in, and its OD ratio is .76:1.  So when it is installed it'll be turning 1900 at 65 MPH.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, the small-block version of the ZF5 has the internal slave while the big-block version has an external slave.  Which reminds me, I'd better check that the one from the T-19 will work w/the ZF5.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand.  But, I think it means that the T-19 and the ZF5 take the same slave: E3TZ 7A564-A.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I like to run manifold vacuum to my vacuum advance units. Therefore, not much advance while cranking or WOT. You dial that in with initial and mechanical. But the cruise advance is high . . . .  great for MPGs!!
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
PetesPonies wrote
I like to run manifold vacuum to my vacuum advance units. Therefore, not much advance while cranking or WOT. You dial that in with initial and mechanical. But the cruise advance is high . . . .  great for MPGs!!
Good tip... my 300 is definitely idling rough since I deleted the vacuum booster for hydroboost. I wonder if it's getting too much advance? The vacuum booster was leaky so when I plugged that line it might be pulling it too far now. I'll try it. Thanks.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2