243 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, I use a rubber washer under the wingnut.

And...

I have the same initials, JMU.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I've always used a new factory washer.
It's really thin and coated in a black (or dark grey) film.

I never cross threaded mine, but even using a backup wrench I eventually pulled the threads out of the float bowl.
At least back then I was able to get a new one from a Mecury dealer in White Plains.

But the 2V, IDK...
Time for me to ask the stupid question...."Wait, there's a factory washer for the fuel filter?!"  I've never seen one when looking at them online (to purchase, etc).

JMU aren't my actual initials - just the University I went to.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
At least with the 4180, when you buy a filter at the dealer it comes with a new washer to go between the filter housing and float bowl.

The fuel line end is flare, and flares NEVER get any sealant

Hmmm.
Interesting.... 🤔

I didn't know you went to Joe Mama University.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Hmmm.
Interesting.... 🤔

I didn't know you went to Joe Mama University.
 Now that's funny right there!  

1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
And, to save you tracing, a white/black wire should go to the back of the alternator to the S terminal, which stands for Stator.  But look closely at what lettering there is on the black choke cap.  Some tell the voltage, and that makes a huge difference.  If it is 12v then it is an all-electric cap, which should be used with a choke casting with the hot air port blank, meaning closed.  But if it says 6 or 7 volts, I don't remember which, it is for use with hot air.
Gary - I did trace the wire and it definitely leads to the alternators S terminal. The choke cap has nothing else on it other than the part number from what I can tell.  

Switching topics - I pulled the blower motor today to see why I'm getting leaves and got a good deal on a new one with blower wheel. Only thing is, did not come with a gasket. Does anyone know where the gaskets can be bought on their own? I see some of the kits on Rock Auto have the gasket included (now...d'oh!).

New and Old Motors:

Also had to chuckle - the motor I pulled must be the second one that's in the truck because I discovered the OEM connector was attached to the fan power leads with wire nuts. Had to chuckle.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Alright - I have no idea how I did that. Even made sure to open the images and save them rotated the right way! Now they're cascading....
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
And purchased in case it is right. Looks right.

Now to figure out where the leaves are coming in from. Anyone ever fixed
that?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Leaves are coming in from the cowl above.
Be careful that leaves don't get on the blower resistor because they will catch fire.

Some people glue screen on the underside of their cowl.
Some people use an '87-90 cowl that has dots instead of slots.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Agreed on the leaves, I pulled the blower motor from my Ranger for the first time since 2003, and there were way too many leaves for comfort in there. The resistor on my Ranger is much closer to the blower motor than a bullnose truck, so the leaves were piled right in front of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Some people glue screen on the underside of their cowl.
Some people use an '87-90 cowl that has dots instead of slots.
I like the idea of attaching a screen! I didn't even notice resistor while in there. It was probably close, leaves were packed to the right in the bottom of the core housing (heater core).

I also discovered how the shop 'set my vents to floor/defrost' to pass safety inspection (prior to putting antique plates on). I found a vacuum line hanging under the dash with machine screw stuffed in it. Reconnected it to the blend door motor and voila.

Now I need to order a replacement female connector for the truck side connection for the blower motor. The new plug won't fully seat - now I know why my grandfather reconnected the old connector.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
This post was updated on .
Peeled more layers back on the onion...

While checking on the choke I discovered that one of the leads coming off this port on the intake was blocked off, no idea where it should go to.

I also verified that the choke heater is electric, the inlet that is cast there is plugged. However there's a second vacuum port next to it that is capped off.

Not sure what to make of that yet. Then I moved over to the Driver's side to look at these three connections.

Any ideas on what they connect to? I've got two female leads and one random male lead. One of the female connections come from the assembly to the top right, which I thought might've been the cruise control but don't think so.

Also is the speedo cable supposed to be loose in the bay, no retainer to hold it against the fender wall or firewall? I think I've finally discovered what was occasionally making a slapping noise that changed with speed of the truck!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
Follow the leads from the blower motor.
You'll see them lead to a small hollow or red board screwed into the plenum near the blower.

Remove the two screws and you'll see the filaments and thermal fuse that project into the airflow in the plenum.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Follow the leads from the blower motor.
You'll see them lead to a small hollow or red board screwed into the plenum near the blower.

Remove the two screws and you'll see the filaments and thermal fuse that project into the airflow in the plenum.
Okay then, I got really lucky. The leaves were PACKED into that area. Guess I haven't used heat much.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not the heat, just the blower.
The slower the speed the hotter the wire gets.  ðŸ˜²
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Not the heat, just the blower.
The slower the speed the hotter the wire gets.  ðŸ˜²
Yep.  My first Bullnose did that to me.  Nice crisp autumn day and I took my wife for a ride.  Turned on the heat and wondered who was burning leaves.  Then I realized there wasn't anyone w/in a mile.  It was US!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
If you pull the kick panels on the drivers side and passenger side, there are panels under there that IIRC would be for vents on non A/C trucks.

I found debris up to the panels!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And of course, the cowl drains behind the front wheel wells, on either side of the firewall.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
If you pull the kick panels on the drivers side and passenger side, there are panels under there that IIRC would be for vents on non A/C trucks.

I found debris up to the panels!
Yikes - Sounds like I need to put a screen in the cowl this weekend and also pull the kick panels. I have a feeling it's packed with tiny locust tree leaves.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
ArdWrknTrk wrote
And of course, the cowl drains behind the front wheel wells, on either side of the firewall.
How do I get to those? Internal kick panels or pull fender liner?

1 ... 45678910 ... 13