243 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

Gary Lewis
Administrator
From the pic of the choke I don't see the fitting for hot air.  There is something there but it looks to be the generic casting that all of the 2150 chokes had, although some of them didn't have that casting drilled and tapped for the fitting.  So, check out the fitting that is circled below.  Is it blank, or is it open?

And, in that pic there's an arrow to a connector.  What is the color of the wire into it?  If it is white w/a black stripe then it is from the alternator's stator connector and that means the choke heater is an electric assist unit, meaning it is supposed to be used in conjunction with hot air via the connection in the circle.  But it is possible that someone changed out the heater?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Gary -

Thanks as always. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and a better photo. What you mentioned about the heater just tickled a memory. That heater was definitely replaced by my local shop a couple years ago but that should have been the extent of the work. I don't have a good photo of the wire that goes to the cap on me- it looks like it is white with a black stripe in the one shot I can see it. I'll have to go back in the am and trace the wire and take a good look.

There's also a fitting on the back of the carb that isn't hooked up to anything...

Should there be something feeding to it?
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The HVAC "heater" and the choke hot air are two different things.  The choke's hot air, if so equipped, comes from the loop shown below on the right, which was taken from that Chokes page linked to above.  You can see in that pic where air comes from on the back of the carb via the fitting you were questioning, which provides filtered air.  Then it flows down and through a passage in the exhaust manifold, and then back up to the fitting I'm questioning.  From there it is drawn across the bi-metallic spring in the choke and then into the carb, mixing with the rest of the air about to enter the engine.

So if your carb isn't set up for a hot-air choke then the fitting you are questioning will not be used, but should be capped as it'll allow un-filtered air into the clean, already-filtered air, otherwise.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
And, to save you tracing, a white/black wire should go to the back of the alternator to the S terminal, which stands for Stator.  But look closely at what lettering there is on the black choke cap.  Some tell the voltage, and that makes a huge difference.  If it is 12v then it is an all-electric cap, which should be used with a choke casting with the hot air port blank, meaning closed.  But if it says 6 or 7 volts, I don't remember which, it is for use with hot air.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Awesome - I will Gary.

Back to the air cleaner lid - any one know if the gaskets are DIY or if they're actually sold?
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry.  I forgot the air cleaner.  I've never had water in the air cleaner.  But I've had lots of water on the lid and some then went down the stud in the center and through the carb into the engine.  

And with the way the lid curves down on the edges outside the base I don't think the gasket in question is where the water is getting in.  But your air cleaner has the temp sensor poking through the lid and it might come through there.

So I don't think sealing the perimeter of the lid will make a difference.  My guess is that your seal to the cowl, meaning between the garage door gasket and the cowl, isn't water tight.  I had problems there when I originally used RTV, which did not stick to the seal.  Then I had to clean all that off in order to use the Black Jack, which solved the problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Even if it IS available (which I doubt), I wouldn't trust it to be a modern durable material.  I'd still DIM using black foam rubber self-adhesive weatherstrip.  But I'd put more effort into the seal between the wing nut & the lid, since that's a funnel that puts water straight into the carb throat.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Yeah I haven't seen it available anywhere.

So....is there supposed to be an o-ring under the wing nut originally? I'm assuming not - I should probably triple check my cowl seal as a first step - I do like the idea looking at the seal between wing nut and lid as well!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, there wasn't a seal under the wing nut, but it is a good idea to put one there, although it needs to seal around the threads.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Wow - I have not been on here actively in a while.  It seems to sync up with when I started a certificate program that was running on the weekends. NO Saturdays at all this Summer. Woof!  Luckily that wraps up this Saturday...just in time for me to head SE in a small plane. (Here's hoping Dorian doesn't do too much damage to the small airports)

I haven't been able to revisit the choke/tuning yet but plan to. However, I DID change the oil & filter over the long weekend and also spent some time degreasing the caked on gunk on the underside of the transmission. Not sure where it came from or if it still is leaking but we'll see soon. I'm going to add some fluorescing dye and drive around a bit if I can get time this weekend - there is even caked grease/oil/gunk on *top* of the bell housing. So, hopefully I'll figure out where the leak is coming from in the next month or so.  Could be rear main seal, could be valve covers.

Hopefully cooler weather is on the way but with that brings the necessity of figuring out the cold weather starting issues. So, I'll chase the wire coming off the choke heater and see if it goes to Alternator.

The LMC power windows that my grandfather put in are great, except all of a sudden the Driver's side kit is skipping when I try to raise the window. Hopefully just a misaligned gear and I can reinstall. Goes up just fine if I give it some help by pulling on the top of the window.

Always a project! But I do love this truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The skipping is probably the plastic 'spools' in the regulator.

I'm sure the drivers side has seen a lot more use.

The repair is not difficult, but you do have to remove it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The skipping is probably the plastic 'spools' in the regulator.

I'm sure the drivers side has seen a lot more use.

The repair is not difficult, but you do have to remove it.
That was my feeling as well. My concern is more to do with finding a replacement piece if it's worn out.
However, I did just get a 3D printer for my birthday - maybe I can print one if needed...after I figure out how to use it!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can buy the Dorman repair kit in the HELP! section.

Some people even use 5/16 nuts.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Well Today I Learned!  I had no idea they had those over there in the HELP! section.

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used short pieces of vacuum hose.  The pieces are in there to cushion things, and sometimes they get old and crumble.  The pieces of hose worked perfectly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The chinese Dorman plugs are even crappier than the originals, and they degrade in less than a decade.  These - not so much:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I can't even tell what I'm looking at.
Can you explain?

I don't think of an LMC kit as original....***

Hell, I'd be quite happy if $3.99 and an hour of my time bought me a decade of functional power windows.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
I think those are metal hexnuts to replace nylon ones on the window motor gear.

Now that I have my weekends back - I hope to start looking into this stuff this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Took some time this weekend to read through one of the manuals my Grandfather left with me for the truck - I think it's the Ford "DIY" (Chilton equivalent). I was reading about the fuel filter since I've got a slight leak there and noticed it called for a Ford thread sealant to be applied to the filter threads prior to install.

Anyone out there do this? I was so afraid of cross threading the filter into the carb and also not over tightening it that may be a sealant could assist.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've always used a new factory washer.
It's really thin and coated in a black (or dark grey) film.

I never cross threaded mine, but even using a backup wrench I eventually pulled the threads out of the float bowl.
At least back then I was able to get a new one from a Mecury dealer in White Plains.

But the 2V, IDK...
 Jim,
1 ... 3456789 ... 13