Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1982 Bronco XLT

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Fingers and toes crossed!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
No coolant in it yet.. but heard it run for a little bit tonight so that's good at least. Got the timing halfway set for it to start. I wanted to let it sit a bit more since it's colder out for the RTV. Might throw the thermostat on and put coolant in tomorrow.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well she runs at least. Now time will tell if coolant is a problem. I don't think it is though. Didn't seem to sink down but I guess that would be my next thing is to watch the oil and I guess sit overnight just to be sure not little amounts are getting in the cylinder.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Still have both my fingers and toes crossed!  Hope all is well in the morning!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Well went out and started it again. Started fine besides being cold again. Couple of questions. What is the factory thermostat? Also where does the temp gauge sit at? Also the oil. The temp gauge needle goes past the L on normal and then I see it cool down to a little before the L. Is this something that will normalize with proper coolant level and a cap? I had the defrost on and it didn't seem hot hot like temp gauge indicated. I know it used to sit around middle and even on the last engine it crept up to the L on normal but my infrared thermometer and hand feeling hoses didn't seem to show that it was that hot. I thought it may be the sensor, so I bought a new one and it still does this. The oil gauge just wonder where a factory one would sit and if someone has ever halfway found a psi correlating to letters. It is past the L and stays there at idle with 10W-30 and I just putting a normal Melling in, no high pressure/volume.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's no consistent reading for the gauges.  The same temp on one truck may read quite different on another.

But the factory thermostat is 195 degrees.

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I figured with the older ones it would be so. I know that oil pressure was never high but who knows the bearings in the other engine and what a good oil pump will do.

I may try to go to a local store and get some distilled water, I went into Walmart yesterday to get some cards and gift cards and that was too much time. It's crazy how a week before Thanksgiving til New Years that parking lot is packed.

I think this did happen whenever I swapped gauge clusters for the tach.. before that it sat in the middle. It does have a 195 thermostat in it though.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm finishing up a build now and one of the things that i dealt with was the gauges reading a little off. i went through three oil pressure senders made by std motor parts then put a motorcraft on which seems to have solved that. The parts store was great about swapping them out or i would not have tried three. the temp read very high just like you describe and when i added an extra ground it now reads dead center as i would expect. still working out the fuel gauge reading low.
i was thinking in theory that if a ground at the gauges would help then i would just add a ground to the ground circuit at the icvr mount/ground screw and ran that roughly three ft along with the cluster harness over to a screw hole near one of the dash angle support braces on the firewall and that simple wire changed the reading on the temp gauge
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Took it on a short drive today. Little less than 3/4 throttle chirped the tires 3 or 4 times rolling at 5mph. Didn't think that was too bad with an effective ratio of 2.64 with the rear end and tires. Seems pretty good. Can't wait to get it fully buttoned up and mess with the carb more and see what it really has. Here's a short video of it idling.
https://youtu.be/an5pRB1AmUg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wonderful!  No coolant in the oil or cylinders?  No overheating?  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Weberman
Cool!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
ok ,ill ask,  what cam is that???
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
It's a Comp XE266, 35-514-8.

Seems to be good so far. The gauge still reads high but it never pegs and I always see it move back and forth like it's cooling so. I need to fill it all the way just to be sure but I do believe it's high enough that it would leak out into the intake if it was a problem.  Not sure about oil yet, I looked down into the valve cover and it looked a little milky but it hasn't been warmed up and flushed from the other nasty stuff too since I tried cranking it and sent that all throughout the block.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
change the oil before you ruin your new bearings
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
 that cam sounds very similar to one in one of my trucks but mine is flat tappet 512 lift and 230 duration at .50. yours sounds 'open.  what exhaust do you plan?
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Planning on actually running for a bit and changing it again Sunday so it'll be nice and warm and get a lot more of the milk out tomorrow.. as for exhaust I'm planning on glasspacks and dumped after the rear axle. Have an appointment for next Wednesday.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a plan. Merry Christmas!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Well ran it for a bit and changed the oil, it didn't look bad. Idk if it burned some of the left over coolant/water off but looked decent. Took it on a drive to the nearby small town and picked up some distilled water and filled the radiator up all the way. Actually shut the radiator cap all the way to build pressure. Got it home and let it sit for a hour or two and all seems well. The level is right above where all the cooling fins are so pretty dang full. It may have spit some out or worked some air out on the way back. Not sure if I have a cooling problem at idle or what. Maybe I need a new radiator? Driving, the temp was in the middle like it should be. I just know that the last motor at the end kinda crept up at idle but didn't overheat and nothing in the engine bay was overly hot and the same with this one so. But all seems well, what power I have on tap now, no need to downshift on those hills anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Excellent!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Weberman
I’ll bet you didn’t quite get it full. I find it almost impossible to do on the first several tries. So I keep adding a bit after it cools and eventually it’ll be full.

But anyway, congratulations!!!!

1 ... 293031323334