Bullnose Forums

300 I6 Carburetor spacer

Right.... there's a hole in the edge of the intake manifold neck.

While I don't have an I-6, I do have a life sized pdf of the EGR spacer gasket.

I'm just saying, in my case I tapped the hole and put a flush plug so it wouldn't interfere with my new non-EGR spacer sealing flat on the manifold.

I'm sure you've got this! :nabble_smiley_good:

I thought you were looking for best practices, or the simplest method of dealing with the potential leak.

I wonder if there's a brass cup that could be used to seal that hole?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.... there's a hole in the edge of the intake manifold neck.

While I don't have an I-6, I do have a life sized pdf of the EGR spacer gasket.

I'm just saying, in my case I tapped the hole and put a flush plug so it wouldn't interfere with my new non-EGR spacer sealing flat on the manifold.

I'm sure you've got this! :nabble_smiley_good:

I thought you were looking for best practices, or the simplest method of dealing with the potential leak.

I think i may have to go ahead and do like you said, but am hoping i dont, it looks like it should just clear the hole for me to get a bolt in it because to tell you the truth, i'm not all that good at tapping.

I think i may have to go ahead and do like you said, but am hoping i dont, it looks like it should just clear the hole for me to get a bolt in it because to tell you the truth, i'm not all that good at tapping.

Gary, that may be a thought if i dont have the clearence to get a bolt through it.

Yea thats all hooked up. what i'm talking about, is under the spacer on the manifold, there is a 3rd hole and it does not seam like this spacer will cover the hole

If I understand it correctly, the third hole you are referring to I think is for thermactor air input. Some of the sixes had a six port manifold that bolted to the head for the air injection and the others, like on my truck the thermactor air went through the spacer under the carb and through a port into and through the intake and into the exhaust manifold.

I wonder if there's a brass cup that could be used to seal that hole?

Gary, if you recall when I desmogged my truck and installed the AVS I used some high temperature 'Fahrenheit' stick epoxy to reprofile my spread-bore spacer to work.

While it's crude I'm sure something like that would safely plug the port without the need for tapping (as long as the hole were clean)

Back in the day porting gurus would often use Devcon to reduce intake runner volume or fill eddys on iron heads.

I'm not someone like Scotty, but I've also heard of it being used to seal thermactor ports on the exhaust side.

Just throwing it out there..... 💡

Gary, if you recall when I desmogged my truck and installed the AVS I used some high temperature 'Fahrenheit' stick epoxy to reprofile my spread-bore spacer to work.

While it's crude I'm sure something like that would safely plug the port without the need for tapping (as long as the hole were clean)

Back in the day porting gurus would often use Devcon to reduce intake runner volume or fill eddys on iron heads.

I'm not someone like Scotty, but I've also heard of it being used to seal thermactor ports on the exhaust side.

yes frank, you are exactly right, my system is/was the same. All of the thermactor stuff has been long long gone as well as the egr has been bypassed. The original carb spacer is cracked which is why i'm changing it out. when I got rid of all of that, the truck runs much much better with better gas milage

Jim definatly not worried about crude. Where the pipe from the smog pump went into the cat, we have a bolt screwed into it. funniest thing. its very hard to get to, so nick had this bright idea he was going to stick his finger in the hole, then take a marks a lot and mark his finger. him and his marked up finger went to the hardware store and he picked out a bolt. brought it home and you know that sucker screwed right in there.

Jim definatly not worried about crude. Where the pipe from the smog pump went into the cat, we have a bolt screwed into it. funniest thing. its very hard to get to, so nick had this bright idea he was going to stick his finger in the hole, then take a marks a lot and mark his finger. him and his marked up finger went to the hardware store and he picked out a bolt. brought it home and you know that sucker screwed right in there.

Lol! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

My local hardware are used to me walking the fastener aisle with calipers and worn out junk, or some chicken scratch on a greasy piece of cardboard.

Lol! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

My local hardware are used to me walking the fastener aisle with calipers and worn out junk, or some chicken scratch on a greasy piece of cardboard.

I guess my intake must be a little different than yours as I don't have this 3rd hole that I know of just the one for the EGR that the spacer with the ear would cover.

Now because I run EFI exh manifolds and hot water I installed a casting / freeze plug in the EGR as I thought maybe water could get to that point?

20170128_103552.jpg.29eaf0e2d0e8276330a84f94bc4573f6.jpg

Or is it the thing off the side of the EGR plate that looks to have a brass fitting in it?

20170121_180900.jpg.7eac3e51007b23b3793ab4d3d52476a9.jpg

If so I left that open as nothing should be at that port with the intake plugged.

I used a pipe plug on the exh. side.

20170128_174004.jpg.daf128b64f755e6900970432ea494000.jpg

I do have the EGR plate in place used as a spacer but because at the time before I got plates I did not know if the truck had to be inspected so wanted it in place so it looked like it worked.

Dave ----

I guess my intake must be a little different than yours as I don't have this 3rd hole that I know of just the one for the EGR that the spacer with the ear would cover.

Now because I run EFI exh manifolds and hot water I installed a casting / freeze plug in the EGR as I thought maybe water could get to that point?

Or is it the thing off the side of the EGR plate that looks to have a brass fitting in it?

If so I left that open as nothing should be at that port with the intake plugged.

I used a pipe plug on the exh. side.

I do have the EGR plate in place used as a spacer but because at the time before I got plates I did not know if the truck had to be inspected so wanted it in place so it looked like it worked.

Dave ----

Mine is the same as yours, getting ready to go out and pull the carb now. I got my gaskets and it looks like the hole will clear the spacer. the hole i'm referring to is the one for the egr.