Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ouch my ears are ringing :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes I did have to make adjustments to the rear filler hose on my flare side as they do not make a rear tank for a flare side.

I cant remember but I used some from a style side front tank, some hose I removed from mine that had been modified before I got the truck and the rear from a style side to fix both the front & rear tank fillers.

The rear I know I used some muffler pipe that fit inside the rubber hose to join 2 together.

Now for the inner vent tube I did use copper tubing to join and make longer to fit inside the larger fill hose.

I used 2 hose clamps on the copper / plastic hose & 2 larger on the outside filler hose.

Been working fine for 4 years now.

Now on this short hose did you get it local or from LMC?

I want to say this is common that it comes out short.

The right one is from some place like "filler neck hose.com" or "filler neck.com"?

Dave ----

Well not to the truck but with the truck.

Friday I did my weekly trash run and got the normal "nice truck" at the dump.

Had to do the trash early as I had a benefit show for a 2 year old that has eye cancer that was 70 miles from home.

I and 2 other car club member went they had 148 cars, trucks and bikes for this show.

I took best "Farm Truck" :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Dont know how that happened but I will take it.

I know when we got there when they open they only had 35 pre-entered and when large crowd showed up they made up classes.

When I got home I got the wife and went out for dinner and stopped by a cruise in that club members were at put on by another car club that we have done things with as they are a small group.

Also because there are 3 different places to eat other wives come too.

Because it is held in the evening when cooler it is nice to sit around and BS with everyone.

It was a long day!

Then today, Fathers day, Happy Fathers day to all you dad's.

The club had a show we went to put on by Boy Scout Troop 365 about 30 miles away.

I would say they maybe 75 cars & trucks show up and 7 of them where club members counting me.

3 of us members got something, Best old truck a 54 1300 Chevy, a 94 Corvet and me for best newer truck.

When leaving I was invited to a all Ford show in Sept.

This is the same show I was invited to a few years back, my first judged show, that I took first place.

It is also a benefit so I will most likely go to this show if I can.

I also was stopped by someone that has a 85 F150 4x4 with a EFI 302 / AOD that has a miss he has been fighting. I told him about us here and that other site so maybe he will join up.

I also give him somethings to check but he has also done a lot trying to get it fixed.

Next Saturday I have a Safety Meeting for work so I cant make any shows :nabble_smiley_sad: and one is only 10 miles away in town.

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch my ears are ringing :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes I did have to make adjustments to the rear filler hose on my flare side as they do not make a rear tank for a flare side.

I cant remember but I used some from a style side front tank, some hose I removed from mine that had been modified before I got the truck and the rear from a style side to fix both the front & rear tank fillers.

The rear I know I used some muffler pipe that fit inside the rubber hose to join 2 together.

Now for the inner vent tube I did use copper tubing to join and make longer to fit inside the larger fill hose.

I used 2 hose clamps on the copper / plastic hose & 2 larger on the outside filler hose.

Been working fine for 4 years now.

Now on this short hose did you get it local or from LMC?

I want to say this is common that it comes out short.

The right one is from some place like "filler neck hose.com" or "filler neck.com"?

Dave ----

I've seen a recent post that said the Taiwanese LMC hose was extra long (21"?) and that it fit the later ('87-'96) tanks but could be cut down.

I think that Mat said that he would be buying a few.

I've seen a recent post that said the Taiwanese LMC hose was extra long (21"?) and that it fit the later ('87-'96) tanks but could be cut down.

Well that is the first I have heard of and is a good thing if true.

Dave ----

Well that is the first I have heard of and is a good thing if true.

Dave ----

See the edited post from Feb 7th.... https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Larry-the-Lariat-My-86-F150-4x4-td125403i120.html#a131218

You can read on through the next page to see how it turned out.

I don't think it's anything in the engine cooling system (although I could be wrong about that). It could be poor flow of the trans fluid through the cooler.

I have an appointment for it on June 13. That seems like a long time out, but I can't have it in the shop from this Friday through the 12th, and they can't get it in before Friday. So I don't have a truck for a while (which won't be much of a problem)

(continuing the Dodge's saga...)

Well I had the trans shop appointment for the Dodge. They replaced the "solenoid body" and changed the fluid and filters (fluid was a bit burned). No troubles with it since then, but I haven't towed with it yet either. Hopefully it's good to go for the rest of the time I own it. I expect to put it to work hauling Oswald around once I get started working on him!

(next post on the Dodge)

Well I had the trans shop appointment for the Dodge. They replaced the "solenoid body" and changed the fluid and filters (fluid was a bit burned). No troubles with it since then, but I haven't towed with it yet either. Hopefully it's good to go for the rest of the time I own it. I expect to put it to work hauling Oswald around once I get started working on him!

(next post on the Dodge)

Well, I took a couple extra days off and had a long weekend. Was hoping to get the truck fired up, but didn't quite make it. Got the new shoes installed, intake finished, all fluids filled, primed the oil system and confirmed oil pressure, primed and confirmed fuel pressure, just need to set initial timing and give her a go. Need to pull the new to me gauge cluster as most of the replacement LEDs aren't working, grease the front end, and finish extending the frii8iont tank filler hose.IMG_20230620_2203442.jpg.3776bf47743d5d5fdb9cabdb3a940288.jpg

PXL_20230620_031021226.jpg.d237b1962d6e8fd97ae8af56a783b5cc.jpg

Well, I took a couple extra days off and had a long weekend. Was hoping to get the truck fired up, but didn't quite make it. Got the new shoes installed, intake finished, all fluids filled, primed the oil system and confirmed oil pressure, primed and confirmed fuel pressure, just need to set initial timing and give her a go. Need to pull the new to me gauge cluster as most of the replacement LEDs aren't working, grease the front end, and finish extending the frii8iont tank filler hose.

Bob - I'll hope with you that the tranny work holds for your time with it. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

fords4life - I'll bet you can't wait to get it going! Close now. Hope today's report will be "It's Alive!!!"

As for me, I used Big Blue to bring a rental scissors-style man-lift to the church building yesterday. The lift is on a trailer designed for it that has an electrically-operated lift that lowers the man-lift down to the ground. The trailer is heavy for its size and the man-lift is a well, but BB didn't mind at all. We worked until 10 last night and have more to do today & tomorrow, so that's where I'll be rather than on here.

And we are having a company come to give an estimate on repairing the fences after we had 80 - 90 MPH straight winds Sunday morning. Laid down one section of chain-link fence, ripped one 6' gate off the hinges, and dropped a dead tree on another section of fence.

I suspect the guy from the fence company is going to suggest that they can't repair the fence with a huge dead tree laying on it, so BB will get more exercise using his winch to pull the tree off the fence.

He's earning his keep! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bob - I'll hope with you that the tranny work holds for your time with it. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

fords4life - I'll bet you can't wait to get it going! Close now. Hope today's report will be "It's Alive!!!"

As for me, I used Big Blue to bring a rental scissors-style man-lift to the church building yesterday. The lift is on a trailer designed for it that has an electrically-operated lift that lowers the man-lift down to the ground. The trailer is heavy for its size and the man-lift is a well, but BB didn't mind at all. We worked until 10 last night and have more to do today & tomorrow, so that's where I'll be rather than on here.

And we are having a company come to give an estimate on repairing the fences after we had 80 - 90 MPH straight winds Sunday morning. Laid down one section of chain-link fence, ripped one 6' gate off the hinges, and dropped a dead tree on another section of fence.

I suspect the guy from the fence company is going to suggest that they can't repair the fence with a huge dead tree laying on it, so BB will get more exercise using his winch to pull the tree off the fence.

He's earning his keep! :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the subject of transmissions: I used the Bronco for its first big towing job since the 4r70w swap. I towed a car on my new (to me) trailer for 110 miles. I had the wife check the trans temperature during a hilly portion of the trip, and it was only 168F!

On the subject of transmissions: I used the Bronco for its first big towing job since the 4r70w swap. I towed a car on my new (to me) trailer for 110 miles. I had the wife check the trans temperature during a hilly portion of the trip, and it was only 168F!

That's really cool!

On a transmission like that, as long as you can keep the torque converter's clutch locked up then there's not a whole lot of heat. But when the clutch drops out and the torque converter is slipping they generate a ton of heat.

It is usually where the throttle is quite a ways down that the ECU decides it needs to drop the clutch out but not down-shift. I think it is better to pull it down a gear manually and keep the clutch engaged so you aren't generating so much heat.

Apparently you drive that way or your ECU is programmed not to unlock the clutch but instead down shift. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's really cool!

On a transmission like that, as long as you can keep the torque converter's clutch locked up then there's not a whole lot of heat. But when the clutch drops out and the torque converter is slipping they generate a ton of heat.

It is usually where the throttle is quite a ways down that the ECU decides it needs to drop the clutch out but not down-shift. I think it is better to pull it down a gear manually and keep the clutch engaged so you aren't generating so much heat.

Apparently you drive that way or your ECU is programmed not to unlock the clutch but instead down shift. :nabble_smiley_good:

I have not gotten too far into the US Shift computer, but I do know there are settings for all that.

Based on how it behaves, I think it is dropping the TCC and also downshifting. When going up a hill, it would CLUNK! and downshift to maintain a good speed up the hill.