Bullnose Forums

1984 F150 clutch pedal switch

No worries :nabble_smiley_happy:

This is the switch I used, but any normally open switch that can handle at least 10 amps should work.

Standard Motor Products NS151 Clutch Switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7Y8ZO/?coliid=I38L90YSPJJ12J&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_7RQ9HA974MC53R6J0VXR

Here is another tank of a switch that I found after the fact... I liked it so much I bought it and I have kept it for something else in the future. I am sure it would work as well..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0995T3X9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a manual transmission I was tought to ALWAYS push in the clutch when starting and let the clutch up slowly once running.

No need for a stupid switch to save dumb people :nabble_smiley_evil:

Also to push on the brake pedal before turning the key to make sure it has brakes.

Now on a auto I can see a NSS as you dont have a clutch to let up slowly once running.

Dave ----

I am 61 years old and have been driving manual transmissions since I started driving. I am fully aware how to properly use a clutch pedal. I am not the only person that may drive this truck. Drivers now a days are not as familiar with a standard as the older generation. I would like to save my truck from being damaged by some one else.

Thanks for your opinion!

I am 61 years old and have been driving manual transmissions since I started driving. I am fully aware how to properly use a clutch pedal. I am not the only person that may drive this truck. Drivers now a days are not as familiar with a standard as the older generation. I would like to save my truck from being damaged by some one else.

Thanks for your opinion!

I’m sure Dave was just kidding…

I highly recommend having a clutch safety. I drove manuals for the first 10+ years of driving but occasionally catch myself getting in the truck and just cranking, as I keep switching between automatic and manual.

I’m sure Dave was just kidding…

I highly recommend having a clutch safety. I drove manuals for the first 10+ years of driving but occasionally catch myself getting in the truck and just cranking, as I keep switching between automatic and manual.

I'm doing the same going between a 4 speed and autos routinely. I must say it is easy to hit the key without pushing the clutch and it is just as easy to hold the wide auto brake pedal before the key. it's just human. I know of at least one time that I'm sure the security camera at lowes caught me bucking the truck by hitting the key without pushing the clutch. you can be perfect 99.9 % of the time but it happens. there is no accounting for how often these safeties save us whether we like it or not. even still, I don't like them.

I'm doing the same going between a 4 speed and autos routinely. I must say it is easy to hit the key without pushing the clutch and it is just as easy to hold the wide auto brake pedal before the key. it's just human. I know of at least one time that I'm sure the security camera at lowes caught me bucking the truck by hitting the key without pushing the clutch. you can be perfect 99.9 % of the time but it happens. there is no accounting for how often these safeties save us whether we like it or not. even still, I don't like them.

Yep... No one is perfect. One time is all it takes for a lawsuit :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yep... No one is perfect. One time is all it takes for a lawsuit :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That is why I didn't want to put a simple toggle switch on Big Blue to bypass the clutch safety. At almost 77 it won't be long before it'll be my offspring driving it. And I don't want to be responsible for them getting hurt.

So I took great pains to create a bypass arrangement that gives the driver 10 seconds to start w/o releasing the clutch after arming the system. But only 10 seconds, so it has to be pretty deliberate.

To be honest I never even thought about a lawsuit. I was only thinking about my kids and grandkids getting hurt are hurting some one else.

You and I are close in age.

We don't come from a time and place where picking up a phone to call the cops or a lawyer is the first option....