Bullnose Forums

Manual trans Clutch Lockout Switch

Thanks Jim. Don't know why, but I find not easy to search for what I'm looking for in the EVTM. I have the PDF indexed file, but searching by word (clutch switch, for example) doesn't always give a good result.

As for the diagrams... they are made by engineers, for engineers.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

As architect, I can read at them, but I largely prefer a 3D view.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

First I did not check the link BB posted so .....

A lot depends on the year of the truck as they all dont have a clutch lock out so the starter will not crank till the clutch is pressed in.

I say this because my late 80 (its a 81) and my early 81 F100's both manual transmissions, dont have the switch or the harness to hook the switch to.

Heck I dont even know if you could mount the switch to the pedal bracket and then make your own harness? Well I guess you could be why?

I was told from day 1 always always push the clutch in before touching the key to start a manual transmission car or truck.

Dave ----

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I did not check the link BB posted so .....

A lot depends on the year of the truck as they all dont have a clutch lock out so the starter will not crank till the clutch is pressed in.

I say this because my late 80 (its a 81) and my early 81 F100's both manual transmissions, dont have the switch or the harness to hook the switch to.

Heck I dont even know if you could mount the switch to the pedal bracket and then make your own harness? Well I guess you could be why?

I was told from day 1 always always push the clutch in before touching the key to start a manual transmission car or truck.

Dave ----

Yep

That's why I said hydraulic clutch ('83 for 460 & IDI, '84 for Windsors and the 300/4.9)

You were given sage advice.

Can't send the email... Locked in the "robot verification".

The email came through...8 times...lol. I will reply to your email also.

May need to confirm exactly what this switch is, but I think that it is a factory clutch switch. I bought it years ago for my 1984 Bullnose when I was going to install an aftermarket cruise control. My memory is getting kinda fuzzy on the topic...this thing has been on my shelf for quite a while.

IMG_3445.jpeg.13aab4c7b215fc8529897483902c5e9e.jpeg

IMG_3446.jpeg.02e0fdc46a4dcbd8ec757eda344d1319.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg.4dfa2ea02ea525e0488f870e75f4e88e.jpeg

Can't send the email... Locked in the "robot verification".

The email came through...8 times...lol. I will reply to your email also.

May need to confirm exactly what this switch is, but I think that it is a factory clutch switch. I bought it years ago for my 1984 Bullnose when I was going to install an aftermarket cruise control. My memory is getting kinda fuzzy on the topic...this thing has been on my shelf for quite a while.

Sorry guys...it is not the clutch switch, it is a cruise control interrupt switch...my bad...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cruise-Control-Interrupt-Switches-No-Longer-Available-as-of-7-29-19-tp29006.html

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cruise-control-clutch-switch-E3TZ-9F645-B-tp15141.html

I was wondering what happened to the cruise control switches that were on my pedal assembly. Now I remember. lol.

Interesting thread. That picture of the inside of the cab with the dash removed and all the wires exposed gives me a little bit of anxiety. I loathe removing dashes.

My '86 has a clutch lockout switch, and one of the first things I did when I got the truck was unplug it or put a jumper wire in it, whichever was the case to bypass it.

Interesting thread. That picture of the inside of the cab with the dash removed and all the wires exposed gives me a little bit of anxiety. I loathe removing dashes.

My '86 has a clutch lockout switch, and one of the first things I did when I got the truck was unplug it or put a jumper wire in it, whichever was the case to bypass it.

You can easily bypass them by inserting a spare fuse in the harness plug.

It only has to pass enough current to trigger the relay.

You can easily bypass them by inserting a spare fuse in the harness plug.

It only has to pass enough current to trigger the relay.

Now that you say that, this is exactly what I did, probably after reading that it would work on this site a couple of years ago. Which also explains when I was looking under the dash recently and I wondered what in the heck that random plug that had a fuse could possibly be doing. I'll forget all of this when I'm under the dash in the future I'm sure, and I'll wonder what's going on again.