Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversion for 82 400

Correction Gary. The Lares is a NEW C2. (at least from the linked thread)

"Hello JF,

Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE."

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsc-12338

The Lee is a C2 case with Saginaw guts.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-pumps/products/ford-cii-power-steering-pump-replacement

"Our solution to this was to have our own steering pump housing made that takes tried and true Saginaw internals"

It looks like both are drop in replacements. The Lares is half the price of the Lee. I am curious about the quality and longevity of both. I am leaning toward the Lee because it is (from my understanding), basically a saginaw and not just a better C2.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you've caught Covid again.

Hope you and Janey are back to 100% quickly! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I have a buddy and his wife that got back from Eastern Canada, Main and islands up that way a few weeks ago with Covid also.

Knocked them both out pretty good.

Think I will stay home thank you vary much :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gary take care of your self

Dave ----

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you've caught Covid again.

Hope you and Janey are back to 100% quickly! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I have a buddy and his wife that got back from Eastern Canada, Main and islands up that way a few weeks ago with Covid also.

Knocked them both out pretty good.

Think I will stay home thank you vary much :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gary take care of your self

Dave ----

Thanks, Dave. I'm gradually getting better.

• 2 months later...

It has taken a while to get here but the truck is driving again and now the steering is tight. If you haven't seen my posts, I decided to do all of this work while I had everything out to replace the harmonic balancer.

I went with the Lee power steering pump and a Bluetop gear box. I decided to replace the lower steering column with a Borgeson and that also lead to replacing the lower column bearing. The old column was rough and the bearing was completely shot. I replaced the hoses and cleaned years of gunk and dirt off of everything.

IMG_1129_Large.thumb.jpeg.680d990c2035508ace105d267ccab6c6.jpeg

It has taken a while to get here but the truck is driving again and now the steering is tight. If you haven't seen my posts, I decided to do all of this work while I had everything out to replace the harmonic balancer.

I went with the Lee power steering pump and a Bluetop gear box. I decided to replace the lower steering column with a Borgeson and that also lead to replacing the lower column bearing. The old column was rough and the bearing was completely shot. I replaced the hoses and cleaned years of gunk and dirt off of everything.

Wonderful! But how does it drive? My recent experience with a Bluetop, Borgeson, and that lower column bearing was amazing. Just AMAZING!

Wonderful! But how does it drive? My recent experience with a Bluetop, Borgeson, and that lower column bearing was amazing. Just AMAZING!

It drives great! There was a lot of slop in the old steering. Now the steering is smooth and tight. Its very responsive.

It drives great! There was a lot of slop in the old steering. Now the steering is smooth and tight. Its very responsive.

I am in the process of doing this conversion now.

You need the pump mounting bracket from a 460 van. Part number E3UA-3A722-GB or similar. These are far more common than the factory Saginaw pumps on M blocks, which did exist.

You also need an early car/truck M block water pump to PS pump swivel bracket and the aluminum spacer, the spacer is different than the 460 one so you cant use that. The Saginaw pump required is typically labeled as a "GM Type 2 Saginaw" at your local parts store. That pump has the correct mounting pattern on it for the Ford bracket.

It's that simple :)

Screenshot_20231218_225635_Messenger.thumb.jpg.9f7d4452e96d7e4721e0b8d55adf3d9a.jpg

received_1553485351856400.png.feccc558daa7c6bcdd775c843f0aa948.pngreceived_668170865518876.thumb.jpeg.5265714641f94e787611368414cc526b.jpeg

I went with the Lee power steering pump and a Bluetop gear box.

That was my plan A, but I discovered that BlueTop does not ship outside continental US.

So I went for the Lee plan + NAPA rebuilt gear box. Guys told me I was lucky, since a rebuilt box can easily result as a bad experience.

I love the Lee, and my NAPA box is perfect.

I'm a happy lucky guy!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

That Borgenson shaft certainly does look a lot like mine.

It's nice that Lee made their pump with an 11/16 shaft so you could use your existing pulley, but man they are proud of that thing!

The old Cardone bracketed Saginaw pump was under $90 outright (as the CII is completely different)

I hope it serves you well for another ~40 years :nabble_smiley_good:

That Borgenson shaft certainly does look a lot like mine.

It's nice that Lee made their pump with an 11/16 shaft so you could use your existing pulley, but man they are proud of that thing!

The old Cardone bracketed Saginaw pump was under $90 outright (as the CII is completely different)

I hope it serves you well for another ~40 years :nabble_smiley_good:

Dirtymac - Glad it drives so well. I think you have a winning combo. :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome back, Angelo. Or is it Kotter? :nabble_smiley_wink: Thanks for that info. Might use it on Dad's truck, although I thought I had the Sag pump mount sorted. We shall see.