Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversion for 82 400

I need to replace my steering gearbox (beyond repair) and lower steering shaft. I'm considering going ahead and doing the Saginaw power steering pump conversion at the same time because my existing pump is leaking and quite noisy.

I notice on the forums that people have discussed this on other engines and a few people have made the switch. I have not been able to locate a bracket (no luck with the junkyard econolines). I also tried Borgeson but they do not sell a bracket or kit for my engine.

I do have A/C. I'm not sure if that will make a difference in the bracket needed.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is the bracket for a 400 motor as I dint think any 400's came with that pump.

I know the 300 six in vans used that pump and what we get the brackets from.

So unless someone has done this and post you might be on your own.

Dave ----

Lares is placing Saginaw guts in a C2 case so you don't need a different bracket. You can read about it here.

The thing is the bracket for a 400 motor as I dint think any 400's came with that pump.

I know the 300 six in vans used that pump and what we get the brackets from.

So unless someone has done this and post you might be on your own.

Dave ----

The question would be, did any of the cars using the 400 come with a Saginaw pump? I know some Lincolns with 460s used Saginaw pumps, I put a Lincoln front dress on a 1971 Mercury 429, primarily to get the GM A6 compressor instead of the York or Tecumseh twin.

Lares is placing Saginaw guts in a C2 case so you don't need a different bracket. You can read about it here.

Correction Gary. The Lares is a NEW C2. (at least from the linked thread)

"Hello JF,

Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE."

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsc-12338

The Lee is a C2 case with Saginaw guts.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-pumps/products/ford-cii-power-steering-pump-replacement

"Our solution to this was to have our own steering pump housing made that takes tried and true Saginaw internals"

The question would be, did any of the cars using the 400 come with a Saginaw pump? I know some Lincolns with 460s used Saginaw pumps, I put a Lincoln front dress on a 1971 Mercury 429, primarily to get the GM A6 compressor instead of the York or Tecumseh twin.

I would look at LTD's and Country Squire's from the mid-late '70's

They definitely came with the 400 as a base engine and a 'ham can' PS pump.

Correction Gary. The Lares is a NEW C2. (at least from the linked thread)

"Hello JF,

Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE."

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsc-12338

The Lee is a C2 case with Saginaw guts.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-pumps/products/ford-cii-power-steering-pump-replacement

"Our solution to this was to have our own steering pump housing made that takes tried and true Saginaw internals"

Thanks for correcting me, Jim.

(My excuse is that I came home from Switzerland with COVID and either it or all the drugs I'm taking to counter it has me in a fog.)

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you've caught Covid again.

Hope you and Janey are back to 100% quickly! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yes, it is again. Last year about this time we came home from the eastern seaboard with it. And a couple years before that I came home from the Baltic with something. Makes you wonder if it is all worth it.

Fortunately Janey hasn't gotten it from me this time. Probably because she had another booster in June or July. But I was waiting for the new one, which supposedly was available the day we left but I wasn't going to chance being ill on the trip from it. As it turns out I was healthy for the trip and got to enjoy it.