Bullnose Forums

Hose Clamps

Thanks, John. Both for the update as well as the support for the direction. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ford has some neat constant tension clamps they use on heater hoses on the Flexes we own. They are glued to the hoses and latched in the released position on the snake's nest of heater inlet/outlet to engine connections underhood. I had to replace one as the original plastic tees disintegrated spring coolant everywhere. The assembly wasn't too bad, $60 from the dealer. After installing it, you simply take a big screwdriver and pop the latched piece off the tang and the clamp snaps closed.

DSCN4682.thumb.jpg.f6db19cc77238800608cc8b33d9f306a.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have the clamps shown below, which are Oetiker-style clamps and were the only ones that would hold the air hoses on the on-board air system on Big Blue given that the pressure goes to 200 psi. I tried those EFI style clamps shown above, but they just wouldn't hold at that pressure.

But there's no way to get that tool down in there to pinch them. So I think I'll use the EFI clamps.

These Oetiker clamps are the same kind as what is used on PEX plumbing (hose over barb). They work extremely well. Underground burial certified. Can definitely hold residential water pressure, withstand freeze/thaw cycles. I have seen them used on CV axle grease boots on newer vehicles.

Interesting thread on hose clamps. Y'all are making me feel ashamed of all the worm gear hardware store clamps I have. I usually despise the constant tension clamps on my 2000 F350, but it's mostly due to not having the dedicated pair of pliers for them now that I see that such a thing exists.

My failure rate with worm clamps doesn’t even register compared with the number I’ve bought and used over the years. If they look bad, rusted out, crooked, etc., I don’t use or reuse them. I have heard for years that they are garbage but my usage doesn’t show that.

With that said, I’ve seen some go horribly wrong. But they were not clamps that I personally installed :nabble_smiley_cool:

My failure rate with worm clamps doesn’t even register compared with the number I’ve bought and used over the years. If they look bad, rusted out, crooked, etc., I don’t use or reuse them. I have heard for years that they are garbage but my usage doesn’t show that.

With that said, I’ve seen some go horribly wrong. But they were not clamps that I personally installed :nabble_smiley_cool:

Try the Norma style embossed hose clamps, Will.

I've never had a problem with the screw or the radiused edges cutting into the hose. 👍

They were Mercedes OEM back in the '60's-70's. At least that's where I first encountered them)

Try the Norma style embossed hose clamps, Will.

I've never had a problem with the screw or the radiused edges cutting into the hose. 👍

They were Mercedes OEM back in the '60's-70's. At least that's where I first encountered them)

We had some on our 70's Mercedes but I never had to touch them. Could be a good sign.

It sounds like you can open them up like a normal worm clamp and slip them over an existing hose. Is that the case? That would definitely be helpful for some things.

We had some on our 70's Mercedes but I never had to touch them. Could be a good sign.

It sounds like you can open them up like a normal worm clamp and slip them over an existing hose. Is that the case? That would definitely be helpful for some things.

I actually have a few Mercedes branded worm style hose clamps on a few of my Fords. I parted out an 83 Mercedes diesel car one time, and the hose clamps seemed such good quality that I saved every one of them.

I actually have a few Mercedes branded worm style hose clamps on a few of my Fords. I parted out an 83 Mercedes diesel car one time, and the hose clamps seemed such good quality that I saved every one of them.

If I had felt like replacing 5 miles of vacuum hoses, we probably would have kept our 79 240D. That car hissed at me one too many times.

If I had felt like replacing 5 miles of vacuum hoses, we probably would have kept our 79 240D. That car hissed at me one too many times.

Yes, the clamps will come undone completely, so that you can fit them over an existing connection. 👍

Will, you have to try one of the old Mercedes limos that have hydraulic everything!

Why is there brake fluid pouring out of the rear passenger door???

(The window motor has sprung a leak -OF COURSE!-) :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes, the clamps will come undone completely, so that you can fit them over an existing connection. 👍

Will, you have to try one of the old Mercedes limos that have hydraulic everything!

(The window motor has sprung a leak -OF COURSE!-) :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

We knew ours was vacuum everything when we got it. Things would randomly start to hiss. Pull the door apart, replace a hose. Good to go. Repeat every other week. Sunroof isn't working? Vaccum leak. It would have been a lot harder to get rid of if it had a turbo :)

Oh, did I mention the horse hair stuffed seats? So comfortable ... until they aren't.

Oh and waiting weeks for parts from Germany ...

Jim, I was lucky we never had one of the early 600s come in at Tysinger. We did have one customer with a 300SEL 6.3, complete with dual alternators and the mechanical Bosch gasoline injection.

The real live one though was the 450SEL 6.9, it had hydrauilc suspension used under license from Citroen just like Rolls-Royce. Someone put the wrong fluid in it and ruined all 5 of the accumulators (4 are for the "springs" and one is just a master accumulator). Thankfully it didn't damage the suspension struts, that would have been even worse.