recent trucks sold

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

recent trucks sold

Rusty_S85
I wanted to post this as it was posted in the Ford truck group I am on over on FB.

It seems the 80 - 96 F series trucks are starting to bring a premium in many cases.

Hopefully this is a sign of our trucks becoming more popular and a better reproduction market for our trucks.  This also may be beneficial to getting Dakota Digital to offer their Retro line up clusters for our trucks as well.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: recent trucks sold

Gsmblue
I was discussing this with my wife last night. I am amazed how much even average examples are fetching. My wife basically agreed I can spend whatever I see fit to keep our two trucks on the road and making them better. She sees them as part of our vehicle family :)
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Good time to buy what you really want now, because if you wait, prices are only gonna go higher. I'm on the lookout for something in crew cab flavor, and those are the ones that are skyrocketing the fastest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
There have been fewer and fewer nice clean Bullnose trucks showing up on the market for sale recently. I would say there was a steady decline all through 2020, probably starting in 2019. I usually check all Bullnose F-series on Autotempest/Ebay once a week, often times more (had more time on my hands in 2020 lol), as well as Kijiji coast to coast, and FB Marketplace. Noticeably absent recently are nice F250 and F350 trucks. Those nice clean original paint trucks are getting really hard to come by.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - Are the best-sellers those which aren't modified?  Or does that change things?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Cory - Are the best-sellers those which aren't modified?  Or does that change things?
Gary,

Best sellers I'm not 100% sure, but highest prices go to trucks with low miles, original paint, and in stock condition.
For a while there were all these really nice trucks showing up for sale in the PNW...beautiful F250 4x4's and some nice F150's too, but the market has been really quiet the last while...maybe due to Covid or the economy? I really don't know. I do know that there were a few different sellers moving a lot of trucks in the PNW...one guy in Idaho, a couple in Washington, etc...and they would have a truck a month on Ebay...those $10k-up trucks that would now probably sell for $20k.

As for modification vs. value, I think it really depends and has to go on a case by case basis. Some heavily modified trucks sit for sale literally for years. Tasteful and useful mods are better sellers....but that's subjective, I guess.

In my local market, I am under water on my 84 Flareside by quite a bit, but hopefully that differential will decrease the longer I hang on to it...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
"Tasteful and useful mods."  

A D60 up front?  SD springs & RSK?  OX locker?  3G?  ZF5?  EFI?  Winch?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
As some of you know, I work on puny little Japanese trucks in my small windows of spare time and the prices on those have gone wild in the past 10 years. A lot of that is driven by pure interest in the vehicles but its also driven a recent wave of car flippers and people who have enough disposable income to buy and restore vehicles to near-original condition.
I think the collectors market has an investment logic that says if a,b,c,d,e are all rising in value then f,g,h etc are bound to go up too. Once all the traditionally considered classics are very expensive, people will move on to the next closest thing. Eventually even the dinky station wagons and forgotten sedans of the 80s and 90s will be collectors items.
Im not saying this to downplay the inherent value of Bullnoses or any OBS Ford, but this is how I see a lot of people looking at vehicles like the stock market or real estate.
Its not a question of if Bullnoses are going up in value, its when.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Also, for Toyotas, there seems to be a divide:
People who want factory original everything and people who wouldnt mind a turbo, SAS, etc.

But the factory original vehicles always go for way more at auction.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I had an 87 4Runner. I was amazed at how hard it was to find one that wasn’t “molested”.

I bought it in 2013 with about 230,000 miles on it. Paid $3800 for it. It was just hard for me to get in and out of it especially in the winter. Bad joints.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Im moving away from compact trucks for the same reason, Dane. Im a hair over 6 ft and I spend almost 2 hrs a day commuting and Im not getting younger.

I had my eye on a truck last year when I bought the Bullnose. The guy said if he couldnt get his asking price, he'd list it on ebay. Peoples awareness of the national online market definitely drives up prices.

I feel bad for some of these vehicles that have lived rust free for 40 yrs only to get shipped up to the northeast but what can you do? Money talks
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by swampedout
swampedout wrote
As some of you know, I work on puny little Japanese trucks in my small windows of spare time and the prices on those have gone wild in the past 10 years. A lot of that is driven by pure interest in the vehicles but its also driven a recent wave of car flippers and people who have enough disposable income to buy and restore vehicles to near-original condition.
I think the collectors market has an investment logic that says if a,b,c,d,e are all rising in value then f,g,h etc are bound to go up too. Once all the traditionally considered classics are very expensive, people will move on to the next closest thing. Eventually even the dinky station wagons and forgotten sedans of the 80s and 90s will be collectors items.
Im not saying this to downplay the inherent value of Bullnoses or any OBS Ford, but this is how I see a lot of people looking at vehicles like the stock market or real estate.
Its not a question of if Bullnoses are going up in value, its when.
Problem with that is many believe once the old timers pass away those classic cars that were bringing insane premiums will plummet in price as people wont be wanting them.  We all strive for vehicles we grew up with and that is why 80s and 90s vehicles are starting to see a surge in popularity while cars of the 50s and 60s stagnated.

Now as far as people looking at vehicles like the stock market those people I have to say are insane.  You will spend way more money restoring a car properly than you could ever sell it for.  I dont know how many Ive seen at work that came in because it needed work cause the person building it to flip either A lost interest or B was trying to cut corners on cost to make some kind of profit selling.

Like my truck, $10,000 for a new 306 full roller motor with aftermarket EFI, then another $2,000 for a built C6 with E4OD planetary gear set and custom tuning to make it work nicely with my engine along with the Hughes tow converter, then another $2,000 for the currie third member chunk with ring and pinion and truetrac differential.  Then figure another $2,000 on the bed wood, stain, and stainless steel strips, then figure a decent $10,000 on the paint job with removal of front and back glass as well as removal of bed to paint and clear behind the cab.  Then figure in the rims blasting them and having them powdercoated white again.  Ill have some $50,000 - $60,000 in my truck when all said and done and I highly doubt my truck would ever bring more than $30,000 being a short wheelbase flareside.  But I am not doing this because I want to sell my truck I am doing it because I dont want to sell my truck and plan on keeping it so I am doing all of this to extend the life of the truck and make it a more dependable daily driver than it was before.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
On the blue truck, apparently it was bought by a dealership for stock never sold then the dealership left it in their show room until they just now sold it.  Apparently it still has the original window sticker still on it and the photo I saw of the sticker showed a brand new looking window sticker not a 30 plus year old sticker which makes it even harder to believe that truck is that low miliage.

Apparently the guy that informed me of that cant do anything but facepalm my reply to him when I asked him if he knew that there are exact reproductions of those window stickers and that it is highly unlikely that a 30 plus year old window sticker will have no wrinkling, no staining, and no fading/discoloration and look just like it was just applied to the glass.

I feel people are too easy to blindly believe things like this.  I highly doubt that truck has that low of miles on it and if it was bought by a dealership and never sold and sat in the dealership then how did it get the miles that it does have.

Also the front clear park lights have this UV damage haze to them as well, I dont think if the truck was kept inside out of the sun to preserve it that the clear lenses up front would haze like that but yet the side marker lights appear to have no kind of discoloration.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Yes, and now that the prices are going up, people with clapped out, POP*, 70’s and 80’s vehicles, and to me in particular, trucks and SUV’s if you will, want way too much.

If they get it, good for them I guess.

*Piece Of Poop, family site and all!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty_S85 wrote
On the blue truck, apparently it was bought by a dealership for stock never sold then the dealership left it in their show room until they just now sold it.  Apparently it still has the original window sticker still on it and the photo I saw of the sticker showed a brand new looking window sticker not a 30 plus year old sticker which makes it even harder to believe that truck is that low miliage.

Apparently the guy that informed me of that cant do anything but facepalm my reply to him when I asked him if he knew that there are exact reproductions of those window stickers and that it is highly unlikely that a 30 plus year old window sticker will have no wrinkling, no staining, and no fading/discoloration and look just like it was just applied to the glass.

I feel people are too easy to blindly believe things like this.  I highly doubt that truck has that low of miles on it and if it was bought by a dealership and never sold and sat in the dealership then how did it get the miles that it does have.

Also the front clear park lights have this UV damage haze to them as well, I dont think if the truck was kept inside out of the sun to preserve it that the clear lenses up front would haze like that but yet the side marker lights appear to have no kind of discoloration.
No offense, but you didn't read the comments on BaT. The truck was sold to a small rural telephone company (there was documentation in the photos proving the sale to said company), who bought it to replace another truck. But apparently an accident damaged the older truck, and so the owner was understandably irate at the workers who damaged the older truck, and decided to park the new truck in the garage. Over time the truck was just left there, and nothing was ever done with it. It was covered with junk, and so out of sight, out of mind.

I personally looked up the telephone company on Google Maps, and their shops looked like they were full of junk so I can definitely see how the truck "disappeared". A similar thing happened with a house my buddy inherited from his father in law. There was a 1979 Trans-Am with low miles parked in the garage, but nobody knew it was there because it was covered in junk. When they went to clean out the garage, they found the car and I was the one who informed them what it was, and of it's significance since 1979 was the last year for the big engine Pontiac F-Bodies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
salans7 wrote
No offense, but you didn't read the comments on BaT. The truck was sold to a small rural telephone company (there was documentation in the photos proving the sale to said company), who bought it to replace another truck. But apparently an accident damaged the older truck, and so the owner was understandably irate at the workers who damaged the older truck, and decided to park the new truck in the garage. Over time the truck was just left there, and nothing was ever done with it. It was covered with junk, and so out of sight, out of mind.
There were some pics/vids of it on FB in the last few days showing the truck in the condition that it was purchased, and it was filthy dirty (covered in dust) and was clearly not in a dealership showroom. Also...as nice as it looks in all the pictures, in the walk around video there were quite a few nicks and scratches on it, so it did see some warehouse "traffic" over the years. Still, the old thing was kept very well. The interiors don't stay that nice when they're outdoors. The interiors usually provide great clues for originality. When they're restored, they usually look restored. Some people can pull off a nice interior restoration so that it looks original, but most do not.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote

I personally looked up the telephone company on Google Maps, and their shops looked like they were full of junk so I can definitely see how the truck "disappeared". A similar thing happened with a house my buddy inherited from his father in law. There was a 1979 Trans-Am with low miles parked in the garage, but nobody knew it was there because it was covered in junk. When they went to clean out the garage, they found the car and I was the one who informed them what it was, and of it's significance since 1979 was the last year for the big engine Pontiac F-Bodies.
I dont have time to focus on every thing I come across.  Thus I have to go by what other people have posted in this case, it was posted this truck was sold by the dealership that its been at since new in that listing it was never stated it was sold to a telephone company, nor that it was parked.  If it was sold to a telephone company then I dont see how the window sticker would still be on the driverside window as I was shown in photos and have over 50 miles on it.  Did the telephone company if that story is legit take and not remove the window sticker on a truck they bought?

This is what I was told as well as provided a photo of the window sticker still on the driverside window.

this truck was purchased new by Frontier Ford of Rockford, Illinois. The original owner kept it in storage until the selling of the dealership in October 2020. The new own also got this truck in the sell. This truck still had the original window sticker still stuck to the drivers window. It was definitely a 76 original mile truck.
He clearly states that the original owner Frontier Ford kept it in storage until the selling of the dealership October 2020 and that the new owner also got this truck in the sale.  I wonder if we are talking about two different trucks?

I cant review BaT as the listing doesnt come up for me to look at it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
salans7 wrote
There were some pics/vids of it on FB in the last few days showing the truck in the condition that it was purchased, and it was filthy dirty (covered in dust) and was clearly not in a dealership showroom. Also...as nice as it looks in all the pictures, in the walk around video there were quite a few nicks and scratches on it, so it did see some warehouse "traffic" over the years. Still, the old thing was kept very well. The interiors don't stay that nice when they're outdoors. The interiors usually provide great clues for originality. When they're restored, they usually look restored. Some people can pull off a nice interior restoration so that it looks original, but most do not.
I havent seen any photos or videos outside of what I posted.  From what I have heard from an individual that told me the story which may or may not be true, he stated the truck was at a dealership till the dealership was sold.  I dont really know but I still suspect something not fully honest about this.  If the truck was sold as was previously stated and it was put into storage then how did the window sticker remain on the glass for 75 miles.  That sticker would be the first thing removed on a truck like that sold especially if it was bought by a company.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Considering the truck had a card in the windshield stating the purchaser was "Sharon Telephone Company", you can pretty much throw out the dealership story. See photo below.

As for the window sticker, could have been replaced. But could also be original. New vehicles on the lot usually have miles on them from being test driven. It's very possible this truck racked up around 76 miles while in possession of Frontier Ford, and then was sold to STC where it was driven to their warehouse and then parked. I think the window sticker was probably in the glovebox, and then the seller stuck it to the window for the pictures. There's a very thin chance that a dealer would have held onto this truck for forty years without selling it. This was bare bones truck that wouldn't have been worth keeping.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
salans7 wrote
Considering the truck had a card in the windshield stating the purchaser was "Sharon Telephone Company", you can pretty much throw out the dealership story. See photo below.

As for the window sticker, could have been replaced. But could also be original. New vehicles on the lot usually have miles on them from being test driven. It's very possible this truck racked up around 76 miles while in possession of Frontier Ford, and then was sold to STC where it was driven to their warehouse and then parked. I think the window sticker was probably in the glovebox, and then the seller stuck it to the window for the pictures. There's a very thin chance that a dealer would have held onto this truck for forty years without selling it. This was bare bones truck that wouldn't have been worth keeping.

See photos like that are not posted on the ford truck groups I am on all you ever see is the window sticker or the one I posted above, no photos of the interior and nothing else.

As far as the dealership goes, it depends, theres an AMC I think it is dealership that still has a bunch of new unsold AMC cars rotting away on the so called lot to this day and its all still privately owned and is still technically considered opened but I wouldnt consider it still open.

If an AMC dealership closed when AMC went out of business years ago and is still holding onto the cars now more like a junkyard, I wouldnt think it would be too out of the realm of a dealership holding onto a bare bones run of the mill work truck for 30 years.

There is also a Chevrolet dealership, every car they didnt sell at the end of the model year got moved to storage, they took and back in 2013 opened that storage up and auctioned off 500 new chevrolet cars that never was sold with under 20 miles on the odometer.  The cars in storage some of which wwere a 64 2dr impala with 4.4 miles on the odometer, a red 63 impala with undisclosed miliage with seats still covered in plastic, some 55, 57, 59, 63 chevrolet belairs in 4dr, or a corvair, etc