classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
85 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nothing special motorhome thread

BigBrother-84
Nothing Special wrote
This morning we rented a 2-person kayak and went for a 2 mile paddle before packing up and driving home.
As we say here, «take a kayak!»

Nice park!
And you’re right, we too often neglect to visit the nice spots in our own backyard.

Maybe nothing to see with your sickness, but they recently talked about an increase in numbers of whooping cough and Covid in Quebec.

Knowing the speed of microbes spread, Ontario isn’t so far… and Minnesota the next door.

Take care!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
BigBrother-84 wrote
Knowing the speed of microbes spread, Ontario isn’t so far… and Minnesota the next door.

Take care!
Yeah, but Ontario is huge!  (at least east-to-west)  The eastern edge of Ontario, where it borders Quebec, is near the eastern edge of New York.  And we were way over on the western edge of Ontario, almost to Manitoba.  That's a lot of pretty sparsely populated country there!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
....  As for the propane leak, I'd hope that is a fairly easy thing to solve.  But solve it must be!
It turned out to be a very easy thing to solve.  I just handed over my credit card!

I'm busy enough this summer that I didn't want to mess with this, especially since we have another trip coming up in a few weeks.  So I took it in.  They found a hole in the hose to the fridge, so they replaced the hose.

I was also a little concerned / annoyed that the propane detector hadn't thought there was a problem.  I was told that they have about a 5 year life span and mine was 9 years old, so they also put a new propane detector in it.

I'm still wondering a little about the location of the detector.  It's probably about 10" above the floor, under the dinette table, about 10' away from all of the sources of propane (the fridge, furnace, stove and water heater are all in one area).  Especially since the entry is between the possible leak locations and the detector, giving the heavier-than-air propane a place to collect before getting over to the detector.  It seems to me that having the detector closer to the floor, and closer to the possible leaks would be better.  Still, Lesley detected the leak while standing with her "detector" much higher than the one from the motorhome.  So it's probably fine (as long as it works!).
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it solved.

But I'm with you, the location of the leak detector is not good.  As you said, it would be easy for the propane to pool in the step well.  And with the detector 10" off the floor you could have a whole lot of gas built up before it senses it.

This propane detector says "Propane gas is denser than air, and will usually accumulate close to the floor. Therefore, RV Safe should be placed near the floor in order to quickly detect propane gas leaks."  But they don't quantify "near".

This one says "Propane is heavier than air. For propane gas detection, install this alarm from 4 to 20 inches off the floor."

I think I'd install a new one near the source(s) and ~6" off the floor.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Yes, glad it's fixed.

I never had a propane detector in a RV. That's good to have.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona