classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nothing special motorhome thread

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  And the golf cart is cute!  Love the Ford emblem and 4x4 sticker.
And when's the last time you saw a golf cart with a PowerStroke V8???
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those are rare. But one with a t-case is even more rare.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Again a trip that got more coverage in it's own thread, but in the interest of keeping this thread complete...

A couple weeks ago we drove the motorhome down to Tennessee and Kentucky for my niece's wedding, some 'wheeling in Pluto and a bunch of other things.

On Friday we left after work, drove 300 miles in 6 hours and stayed in a rest stop in southern Wisconsin.

Saturday ended up being pretty rough!  The only problem was finding a place to park for the night, but it ended up making for a 700 mile / 14+ hour day to the Kentucky / Tennessee line.  I was really wiped out at that point.  Part of what made that longer is that the rest stop in Tennessee has almost no truck parking and was full.  There were no good options ahead, so we ended up driving about 10 miles past it to turn around and stay at the (northbound) Kentucky rest stop.

The good thing about that long day is we only had a short distance left.  We slept in and hit the road around 9:00 for a 2 hour / 70 mile drive to Windrock.  If that seems like a slow average speed, it was.  Garmin picked some interesting routes for us on this trip at times.  On this day we spent a lot of time on some VERY narrow roads through some hill towns.  It turned out that we cut about 5 miles off the drive that way.  On the way back we took real highways.

The campgound at Windrock is great if you want to be at Windrock.  Not much shade, especially considering the number of trees they must have cut down to get rid of the shade.  And pretty out-of-the-way unless you want to be there.  But nice for our purpose.

After three days of 'wheeling at Windrock, and one long rany day driving Pluto to Great Smoky Mountain National Park we broke camp and drove ~250 miles in 5+ hours to a campground near Louisville KY.  No pictures of that campground, but it was also very adequate for our needs.  We didn't spend much time there, driving Pluto for several hours every day to various things to do and people to see.

The first drive day heading home was a bit of a grind again.  After a somewhat late start we drove 450 miles in 11 hours, getting to southern Wisconsin.  The slow average pace this day was due to stopping for a nap at one point, a very nice benefit to traveling with a camper!

That left us with 300 miles in 6 hours to get home in plenty of time to get unloaded before going to work the next day.

The total trip ended up putting 2100 miles on the motorhome, with an average of 7.2 mpg, pretty close to our overall average of 7.5 mpg.

So not a real exciting post, but now this trip is logged.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Atlanta is a complete nightmare. I've lived close to Savannah most of my life and thought the people there drove crazy, but nothing could have prepared me for Atlanta. Some years back I was riding with a friend through Atlanta on the way back down from Tennessee. We were doing about 75-80 just to not get run over and people were passing us like we were standing still. Insane.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Those are looooong days.  Don't like doing that any more.

But you did have a great trip, so the long days were probably worth it.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Another little trip that I missed reporting on at the time.  Back in October we went down to southern Missouri for my third time to 'wheel with the group of old Jeeps I met on another forum.  I posted about the 'wheeling aspect of the trip at the time, but to keep this thread complete (if not timely) I'll touch on the motorhome aspects here.

Not a lot to say about it however.  Day 1 started at about 2:00 PM with an 8 hour / 415 mile drive to just north of Kansas City where we spent the night.  Day 2 was about 4.5 hours to go the last 220 miles to Rush Springs Park, the first area we 'wheeled.

After 'wheeling at Rush Springs and spending the night there we had 3 hours and about 150 miles to get to SMORR for the next three days of 'wheeling.

And then after 'wheeling on Sunday morning we drove 9 hours / 480 miles to spend the night in northern Iowa, leaving about 3.5 hours for the last 175 miles on Monday.

All of the drives were quite uneventful (hence no report right after the trip!).  But it is really nice having a nice place to sleep on a trip like this!  And a road trip in November in Lesley's car where we had to stay in a hotel reminded us of how nice it is to just pull over and sleep instead of needing to check in, find where to park, find your room and carry the luggage in.  We're continuing to like having a motorhome!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
....  We're continuing to like having a motorhome!
OK, it's not all sunshine and roses!  After having trouble with our generator carb getting gummed up and needing to be replaced I've been a lot more diligent in running the generator every month.  So I start the generator and turn on the isolation relay so the generator will charge both the camper battery and the van battery.  Then I shut off the isolation relay and the main power relay for the camper to avoid draining the batteries over the next month.

That went fine for November, December, January, February and March.  But when I went to start the generator in April the camper battery was stone dead.  Maybe I forgot to turn off the main power relay in March???  Oh well, no big deal, I'll just start the motorhome's engine, turn on the isolation relay and start the generator from the van battery.  But that battery is dead too!  Not stone dead, the dash lights came on.  But the starter just clicked, no crank.

So I plugged the motorhome in and charged both batteries, then ran the generator the next day.  The motorhome engine would also start.

But why did both batteries go dead this month?  They are on two completely separate electrical systems, so any problem that affected one battery wouldn't affect the other.  That is, unless the isolation relay was turned on, but it wasn't (I verified that).  Both batteries were only about a couple years old.  The camper battery has been run down pretty far before, but nothing bad ever happened to the van battery.

The only single problem I can think of that could have affected both batteries is if the camper's 110V to 12V power supply was doing something wrong when I was trying to charge both batteries off the generator in March.  Was it not charging, but somehow draining them?  But when I plugged in the motorhome in April it successfully recharged both batteries.  Or was it overcharging and boiled the batteries?  I guess I can't rule that out.  I still don't know what happened.

I am thinking about putting some manual isolation switches on rather than the relays.  But it doesn't seem like that would solve everything.  Oh well, like people say, the more spark plugs you own the more complicated your life is.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Do you have a load tester?  If the batteries have been damaged that should tell you.  Or, what's the voltage a few hours after charging?  Does it stay close to 12.8?

What kind of relays do you have?  Not sure I understand the way it is wired.  But I like the Cole Hersee smart isolators as they seem to do the job w/o muss or fuss.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I do not have a load tester.  And I blew the fuse on my multi-meter the last time I tried using it.  I just fixed it today, but I haven't had a chance to check the voltage yet.

To better explain the system...

There are two separate 12V electrical systems: the camper and the van.  The van system is just what came from Ford, with a single battery and the alternator to charge it.  The camper system is the lights, water pump, smoke CO and propane detectors, furnace blower and vent fan.  There's room for two batteries, but I only have one.  And there's a 12V power supply that runs off 110V AC to run all of those things and charge the battery any time the camper is plugged in or any time the 110V generator is running.

There's a shut-off relay that disconnects the camper battery from the camper electrical system.  This keeps the camper from running down its battery during storage.  However I believe it does draw power all the time it's turned on.

Additionally there's an isolation relay that can connect the van electrical system to the camper battery.  There's a SPDT on-off-on switch that powers it.  In one "on" position it draws power from the van battery through an oil pressure switch.  When the switch is in this position it automatically connects the batteries any time the engine has oil pressure, meaning any time it's running.  This is the position I have the switch almost all of the time, so the batteries are isolated when the engine is off, but connected when it's running so the van alternator can charge the camper battery.

In the other "on" position the isolation relay draws power directly from the camper battery, so the batteries are connected any time the switch is in this position.  I could use this position for jump-starting the van from the camper, but the main use is to allow the camper power supply to charge the van battery when I periodically run the generator while the motorhome is being stored.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I understand.  And I agree that the shut-off relay that disconnects the camper battery from the camper system uses power when it is on, but I'd hope that "on" is when the camper battery is connected to the camper system.

And the relay that is powered by oil pressure in one position of the switch is doing roughly what my battery isolator relay does, only yours doesn't take power when the relay is off, and mine does as it has a circuit watching the voltage to determine when to come in.  So I like yours - a lot.

So the question will be what the voltages are on the batteries when they have no load on them but have been fully charged.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
I think I understand.  And I agree that the shut-off relay that disconnects the camper battery from the camper system uses power when it is on, but I'd hope that "on" is when the camper battery is connected to the camper system.
Yes, that's what I meant.  But I realized re-reading my post that it sort of does read that it draws power when the relay is on, shutting the battery off.  That's not what I meant though.  Relay on to connect battery to camper, relay off to shut it down.

Gary Lewis wrote
....  So the question will be what the voltages are on the batteries when they have no load on them but have been fully charged.
I might check that today.  But it's raining, so I might not either!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I put a voltmeter on the batteries this weekend.  This was about 2 weeks after they were last charged (and I didn't check what they were when they were being charged).  The camper battery was at 12.6V and the van battery was at 12.2V.  The 12.2 seems low to me, and I might need to replace that battery soon.  But I think the next thing will be to see what voltage the batteries are getting when the 110V power supply is plugged in.  If that's too high or too low I'll need to get that looked at.  But that'll wait a couple weeks until the next time I'm running the generator.

In other news, last fall when I was winterizing the motorhome I noticed I had a leak between the gray tank and the drain valves.  I pulled it apart then, and over the winter I went to a Camping World and got the sealant they recommended, but figured I shouldn't try to use it when it was cold.  On Saturday we got into the 80s, so it was a perfect time for a little motorhome maintenance.

Nothing really to report at this point other than it's back together.  I'll have to wait until there's water in it to see if there's any leak.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
12.6 might be ok, but 12.2 isn't - assuming there isn't load on either battery.

You might want to check to see if you have much in the way of dark current by placing your DVM in the 200ma mode and placing it between the positive post and the positive cable.  However, a number of the systems on Big Blue have fairly high current in startup mode, so I like to connect the DVM before disconnecting the battery cable so there isn't any startup mode.