franken truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

franken truck

Techguy
hi all, so i bought what i thought was a 1980 ford f150 to restore my first truck. wanted  a truck that a basic mechanic could easily fix. well what i got is a franken truck, so far ive found the cab is a 1985, the frame and engine seem to be a 1980. the ac was dealer installed and not factory installed. what my question is, should i keep trying to fix this up or just get a better base to work from? i only have 1 day on the weekend to work on anything and i feel like im not really making any progress.  

Fixed:
new pmgr starter
new ebay carter 1 barrel
new mechanical fuel pump (not working correctly, possible cam issue)

Known issues:
timing is off
cab is rusty
wiring is chaos
vacuum lines chaos
passenger door cannot be locked
headlights dont work
needs replacement steering column (have already)
fuel line from tank leaking
had incorrect air cleaner housing (bought used one, havent installed)
the heat and ac blend door system looks jacked

Unknowns:
manual trans
4wd system
brakes
hubs
wiring
bearings

i have a 1982 parts truck thats automatic, but i cant get the title because of govt bs

ive included some pictures of the setup.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: franken truck

Techguy

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Techguy
From the pictures, it looks like more of a franken-truck than you realize.

The Dash Panel, the plenum tubes, and the heater box look like factory A/C. Probably came with the 1985 cab.

The compressor on the engine from the picture from the other thread is Dealer A/C.

I wonder how much of the wiring is hybrid. Extreme differences between the 1980/1985. Including headlamp wiring. If you see what I mean.

The 1982 wiring is also different to the 1980. If the wiring is good in that 1982 truck I'd start with swapping that. The 1981-1986 headlamp switch is different to the 1980 as well.

I hate to say to junk the 1980/85? because these trucks are getting hard to find. But it would depend on if you can find another that you can build up.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
yeah thats what worries me more and more. id still love to have a 300. im considering pulling the engine out, maybe rebuild it (good learning experience) and find something else to stick it in. but i dont have the equipment really to take it out. she runs pretty good now, shame really.  i think you have told me what i knew but didnt want to hear. all the ones i can find are 2+ hours away from me. and still need work. well lesson learned. ty! maybe i need to go back to the dent side trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
if i decided to keep her id need to pull the whole dash and ac out, cab swap would be easier if not for stupid title issues. i havent been able to find any directions on whole dash\wiring hardness removal. anyone have a guide or video on that part? also the 400$ harnesses on ebay, they worht it, otherwise its 1600
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
whoa. that's a lot of crap. and I have not even really seen the truck. just a couple pics of parts. I like that it is 4wd. is that a must for you? there are certainly better trucks to be found. not sure of your skill level or experience but I hope this was "reasonably priced".  the roofing nails in the ac control vac lines is a new one for me. I see new craftsmanship everyday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
i got it for 1500 dollars. yeah i agree its a train wreck. i really wanted a ford 300 4wd but i admit its just too much, i keep trying to talk myself into it, but i think its just a pipe dream, theres alot of jerry rigging on this thing as ive found out. sadly havent found a replacement near me. ive always been interested in the 6.9 idi, are they worth the trouble?
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by mat in tn
That "jumper wire" made of nails is really something. This truck is kind of spooky.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
yeah the first time i found that we thought it was a vacuum line, found out recently thats a electrical connector lol . is it worth pulling the motor out to save for a future project or to learn how to rebuild one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by JimJam300
question, i know this probably isnt the forum place for htis question but since its related to this, could the transfer case and axles i.e the 4wd parts be transfered to a 1987 ford f150 manual?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it is very possible that you have a good number of parts in "frank" that can be used in other projects if that is the direction you chose. dont make any quick decisions or spend any money just yet. open this up for a bit more opinion and advise. we see this a lot actually.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
i do have alot of parts thats true. has anyone ever used one of those lost title services?  the parts truck i have is in mint condition, sure is a shame i cant just not get a title for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used a lost title service in Oklahoma, but I'm sure they vary by the state since the laws themselves vary.

Here it is called Title 42 and costs about $200.  They are required to post something about the vehicle in a few publications, like newspapers, and allow others to bid on the vehicle.  However they post about it in obscure publications so there are few wanting to bid.  And, if you've had the vehicle a while they'd have to include the storage cost as well as your "recovery" costs in their bid.

In my case I spent a full day getting the vehicle out of a field and it was a 200 mile round trip to go over and back with the trailer.  Plus I'd had it for months and the storage rate is on a per-day basis so it mounted up pretty seriously.  In the end, no one else bid and I got it, which I understand is typical.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, I did much the same on a 1965 Corvair Matt fell in love with at age 15. It was "auctioned" for towing and cost of storage by the gentleman whose GMC wrecker is sitting in my yard. Since there were no other bidders, it became mine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
thanks everyone, @bill  , small world but i used to own a 1986 chrysler lebaron convertible turbo Mark Cross Edition. ill see if i can dig up any pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My 1985 that a Mercedes ML320 tried mating with was a Mark Cross with the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine, When it developed cracks in 3 of the 4 combustion chambers. I put the junkyard score 2.2L Turbo in it. Engine turned out to be a 1988 Turbo II service engine complete with forged crank.

Needless to say I saved the powertrain from it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by mat in tn
thanks matt
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
is there any point in me trying to pull the dash and wiring and install a dash and wiring from me 82 parts truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Techguy wrote
is there any point in me trying to pull the dash and wiring and install a dash and wiring from me 82 parts truck?
You don't have a signature so I don't know for sure what the configuration is of the trucks you are talking about, but I'll tell you what little I know.

As has been said, the 1980 wiring is different from 1981 and later wiring.  And up through 1985 there were two sets of wiring - with gauges and with idiot lights.  But, if you pull the full wiring harness as well as the instrument cluster you can convert a truck with idiot lights to gauges, or vice versa.

And it is really fairly straight forward - you start at the right headlight and disconnect everything and pull that harness back into the cab.  Then start at the left headlight, disconnect everything, and pull that harness back into the cab.  Then remove the dash, including the wiring harness, and take that over to the other truck.

You'll want to take a lot of pictures showing where the harness runs before pulling the harness out since you'll need to put it back in basically the same place.  But it isn't rocket science and can be done without rewiring anything.  However, the connectors are by now quite brittle so you'll have to be careful taking things apart.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
gotcha, i appreciate it,  frank has idiot lights instead of gauges, the parts truck is a 1982 ford f150 2wd, automatic without ac. and surprisingly has gauges. ill try to update and add a signature. happy easter