1 ... 9596979899100101 ... 114
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sounds like fun Dave!  
I hope you get to enjoy it when you have more time to.

Silverwings were very popular with dispatch (delivery) riders because of their incredible reliability, low maintenance and frugal fuel consumption as I recall.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Sounds like fun Dave!  
I hope you get to enjoy it when you have more time to.

Silverwings were very popular with dispatch (delivery) riders because of their incredible reliability, low maintenance and frugal fuel consumption as I recall.
The little bit of seat time I have on it it was fun.

That's what I have seen about dispatch use posted on a fourm I am on for the bike.
Shortly after I got it I cleaned it up as it had been sitting, I used degreaser and water.
Well when done I took it for a little ride and could not get over 40 MPH and was WT???

Went on the forum and when waiting for a reply pulled the plugs.
Bike came with 2 sets (4 plugs) used and why I pulled them.
Because the plugs are set down in the heads one filled up with water and was not firing.
Thats when they came back and said there are drain holes that plug up.
Sure enough that one was plugged, cleaned both and should not have that happen again LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We always thought of them as a water cooled Moto Guzzi V65 Monza.
Nimble and not threatening.

The drain hole thing sounds like how our rear spring shackle hangers rot out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Could use some help from the collective knowledge here.

My brother in law has this parlor stove in his mancave.  We both have found information on 'silver oak' stoves but we can't find anything on this 'golden oak' stove.
  It came to him from a barn and was really disgusting. With some good effort, it is now as you see it and functioning very well.
 We're looking for any information we can find.
   Appreciate your help a whole lot and should we ever meet, I'll buy you a coffee ☕️ for your efforts.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
69 Merc Montego convertible 393 4V Cleveland
86 LTD Crown Vic 2 door sedan 347 AOD
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I don't know anything about them, but we recently had a "Round Oak" stove refurbished, so this caught my eye.  Seems like "(fill in the blank) Oak" was a pretty popular formula for naming wood stoves back in the day, I also saw Parlor Oak, Forest Oak, Bonny Oak and Stewart Oak!

Anyway, a quick Google search showed that Golden Oak stoves were made by the Grander Stove Company, and turned up these links, in case they help you.

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33872

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1903-grander-stove-co-catalogue-1622084739

https://www.txantiquemall.com/antique-cast-iron-stove-values-top-old-brands-guide/

Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Clutch47
Cool!  Or, maybe "hot"?  Anyway, nice looking stove.  Must have taken a lot of work to get it that nice.

And those links will surely help, Bob.  Good job!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Clutch47
Interesting!
I am curious... How wide is it? In such a vertical stove, have enough room or have to put the logs vertically?
🧐
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
That's pretty much how we feed it.
There's a foundry near me and I'm going to take the bottom grate from the stove down to them and see what it'll take to get one with closer spacing so we can burn coal.
I'm dead nuts in the middle of the coal region in PA and we get it very VERY cheap or sometimes free.
 Anthracite has such a nice hang time in comparison to wood.

Thanks for the links. That's pretty much the only thing my B.I.L. found too.
   We just can't find a date or even a matching stove online to vaguely date this one.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
That last link was something I hadn't found.
  I'm really not a well versed antique guy despite my age and old soul, so that was almost like brain comfort food.
     Thank you.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Not a Ford story, but a high stress mechanic one.

Did you see Oppenheimer movie?
You know, the moment when they finally "push the button", hopping that their calculations are ok...

I had such moment tonight.
My old Kubota B21 had an injection pump problem:  Was leaking fuel by the top.
I opened the leaking pump piston and saw that o'rings were dried and cracked.
Tried to replace by supposedly right size ones, but the result was catastrophic: The engine oil dipstick popped out and oil splashed all around.

I ordered a replacement pump (700$ aftermarket cause original Kubota is 1800$ CAD).
The mechanics at the dealer told me it's impossible that the oil splashes out because of a leaking injector pump, sure it is something else broken in the engine.

So, pump replaced, I am sitting in the tractor, ready to turn the key, feeling as Oppenheimer: It works, or it's the end...

The engine started and everything is ok.  HURRAYYYY!!!

I changed filter and oil.  Before pouring the new 3L oil, I flushed 6.5L of oil/diesel fuel mix!!

So, I have some news for Kubota mechanics:
Yes, an injection pump can leak enough by the bottom to spray fuel an pressure in the oil pan.

I'm pretty sure there's couple of you who had such "Oppenheimer high stress moments" in their Ford mechanic life.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Only "high stress, unknown outcome" moments I've had are with aggressive flat tappet hydraulic cams when first firing an expensive build.

You do everything (checking piston to valve clearance, break-in springs, assembly lube, break -n oil, priming the oiling system just before starting, making as sure as you can that the timing is spot on, ect...)
Because without a dyno that engine is going right to 2,500 and staying there for a solid 20 minutes.

You do NOT  want to hear a Screech or wack, wack, wack.
It's a little nerve wracking.

I've heard from "experienced mechanics" about how I've done things "would never work" "will fail before the next oil change" whatever....
Not to say a haven't spent my life at the school of hard knocks, but I don't forget lessons learned the hard way.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
lessons that bleed are rarely forgotten
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The high stress mechanic moments have happened for me.
 Repeatedly.
The most amusing tale lately involved my 86 LTD Crown Vic, a chassis dyno, and one of my friends that is a serious ball buster.
Went like this.

Built a 347 aimed toward torque for the car and put the Megasquirt PNP system in place. Mind you, I had never built anything EFI to this level before and my only experience with this EFI system was microsquirt on a friends 89 inch H-D drag bike.

Get the car running and it's time for the dyno tune after about 75 miles of driving to establish some data logs for the tuner.
Dyno is a 60 mile easy drive.

Car is on the rollers, tuner doing his thing, and it is working great.
  Here's a picture to set the mood.

Steady throttle mixtures are great, things are going well. Tip in, hot starting, all the details are done.

Last of 5 total pulls at WOT to 5500rpm, my planned limit for now. Car sounds great.
Pulling hard and clean.

Remember, this is my only way home.

At 5400... a boom and a steaming green fountain shoots out from under the hood.

Shut it all down quickly and we start looking.

Hoses are fine.
Radiator tank is fine.
Everything is fine.
 Then we see it.
The cast iron heavy duty police taxi service Gates brand water pump split the casting.

After removal.

So after a AAA call, a ride home on a Rollback, and my ballbuster friend laughing his fool nuts off, comes the fix and return to dyno.
So the high stress moment came when we hit the rollers to finish it.
   348hp and 409tq calculated.
Success...
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Quality control is in the trash.

I'm amazed lately at the absolute neglect for quality control in manufacturing.

My latest irritation comes from Delta faucet company.

New shower install.
 Not box store level components.
Valve body not doing its thing.
It's simply a cast housing. Ugh..
Now to cut out brand new drywall for a fix..
    🤬😠😡
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My first response would have been 'box store version's but you head that off.

All these iconic brands have been eaten alive by capital management groups or special investment partnerships.
Some (like Bill) gripe and grumble about "ChiCom Crap" where I respond that Apple makes all their top end products there, they have a successful space program, Nuclear power, etc..

Products are build to a cost.
There's not a problem with QC, it's the formula of acceptable failures vs cost of replacing faulty widgets.
If they still make $$$ even at 20% garbage to market they will go with 20%

They will not warranty your labor, sheetrock or paint.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't just the low-end things.  Look at the problems Boeing is having with quality control.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Boeing lost their mind when they sold out to 'management' and moved to Chicago 👎
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Homebuilder will cover the drywall labor and paint.

Moved into my retirement home that I honestly saved my entire life to build 3 months ago.
  Day 1.
 Exhausted and tired. Head for the shower aaannndd...
    No hot water out of the shower.
Plenty everywhere else.

So as my Mother called it, had to take a wh@re bath.

Shower was as brand new as it gets.
Good thing there is another shower in the house.

Agree on Boeing.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
It isn't just the low-end things.  Look at the problems Boeing is having with quality control.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/boeing-withdraws-bid-for-safety-exemption-as-details-on-missing-bolts-emerge/
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's scary - to have something on a very complex device that if you forget to do it could cause the whole thing to blow up.  

I worked for Boeing for about 6 months once - until they lost a contract and laid everyone off.  So I should have a soft spot in my heart for them.  But I've probably flown on their planes for far more than the equivalent of 6 months and it worries me that their systems and processes rely on people remembering to turn something off or add 4 bolts.

And I guess others are a bit concerned as well.  I saw a video where they had a high-ranking official sitting next to the door plug when the first Max 9 returned to service, and you could see in the video that he had his seatbelt on tightly.  

1 ... 9596979899100101 ... 114