classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speedo and rev counter lights

NZCOBRA
This post was updated on .
Hi a long time ago i put led lights in my dash , it made  it better some  seem to illuminate  better than others the top left corner seems to be the worst of speedo , also on the light switch , is the dimmer supposed to go right down low , mine only turns down a little and makes me wonder if its not turning up bright .do all new headlight switches have the dimmer ?   I recently saw a photo and it had blue leds , so i went and bought some of them in two styles , its ok but still not that great , i havent looked at earths yet but the interior lights are great , .Cheers Vaughn
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speedo and rev counter lights

Rembrant
Hey Vaughn,

Stupid question, but when you installed the LED lights, did you remove the little blue-ish colored lenses that were in there as well? I have the "Ice Blue" LED's in my dash.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by NZCOBRA
LED's don't put any real load on the wirewound rheostat at the back of the light switch.
And LED's don't ever dim right down. They'll either reach a base level, or they'll go out.

What you really need is a PWM for a dimmer, or you need to purchase other LED's with a lumen output that you like.

Also remove any color filters in the cluster and buy colored LED's.
Light emitting diodes produce light in a very narrow spectrum.
The filters for incandescent bulbs are blocking a huge portion of the light they 'see' and LED's don't have the wide spectrum to get around it.

If you find one portion of the cluster darker than another:

A)Are you sure it's working at all? Diodes (and most LED's) are polarity sensitive, try flipping it around.
B)you might try repainting the diffusers bright white.
C)You can also use a higher lumen LED in that position. There are certainly many to choose from.

/geek

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I haven't seen any blue-ish lenses , so they were originally blue  , I had a lens on the headlight /wiper switch , but removing it made it brighter , I definitely have them all going , I knew about the polarity  , I have tried the blue ones this time , always slightly dim ,  definitely  not as good as yours .The blue leds i got were rounded and sealed and the others had more of a head of leds ,  could the headlight switch /dimmer control be worn and not go right up to full bright ? might take it out again tomorrow  and see if it is dusty or clean it with a cotton bud  . Cheers Vaughn.
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not 'worn' but oxidation can build up, because it gets hot.
Like I said the LED's aren't going to put enough load on it for it to be effective anyhow.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NZCOBRA
NZCOBRA wrote
I haven't seen any blue-ish lenses...
Well, if they are still installed in the instrument cluster, installing LED's instead of the original bulbs won't improve things much. I don't have pictures of them myself, but somebody on here might.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vaughn - I don't have pics of the filters, but can get them in a bit if you'd like.  They snap into the instrument housing and are domed.

As for LED lighting, I really like the LED's from HiPo Parts.  I did a test of them and posted it here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Instrument-Lighting-Paint-Testing-tp52526p52839.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
No , not too worried about the blue lenses , blue leds now , Thanks though Gary , i have to figure out why its a bit dull in that corner , i swapped holders around and by lifting the circuit board a little you can see the  light go then swap it back to top left ,  it is difficuilt to see , i checked the spots of contact with a test light and its ok , still not sure ,   so i will have a go today  . Cheers Vaughn