1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Source for repop axle tags?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some may know I blew up my diff last week.
When I went to remove the cover the axle tag crumbled to dust (rust???)

Marti wants $40 and 2 months (and they don't do the 10.25")

I tend to fixate on details and don't want to go without.  

I'm also thinking about a drain in the 10.25" cover.
Without spending stupid $$$ on a Banks finned cover, does someone know of one with a bung?

I could order a bung and weld it in myself, but if there's a tin one already done I'd rather save myself the effort.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Source for repop axle tags?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I should probably ask Bob's advice on the varied gear choices I'm coming up with.... 🤔

I have options at Rockauto.
Motive, Rockland and Dana/Spicer
Dana is my pick, even if they aren't OE with the 10.25, Dana does make the D60 that preceded it..

R&P, carrier, spiders and pin, Timken master install kit,  kit with shims.
All this is over $1,000 at RA,(I have a additional 5% discount code, so =$50) and I'm going to be driving fwd for the foreseeable future.  ðŸ˜„

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I've got an aluminum one with a drain plug, but I'll have to see if I can find where I got it.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm going to order a weld in bung for the cover, because I have to take this back apart when I can afford to put new guts in, so there's no rush.

I appreciate it!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
What kind of info is on these? I think I have the one from my 1989 F250 4x4 460/ZF 8600 GVWR if they aren't that specific....
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Did your '89 have 4.10's?
Open or LS?
It's like any other BOM: ratio, axle capacity, coded components list, date of manufacture.

Obviously the details were more important in the fall of 86 when this axle sat in a freight car full of the same waiting to get stuffed under my truck.

Edit to clarify punctuation and spelling. I HATE my new screen protector! 🤬

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Riffraff diesel offers the Mag hytech* cover.
Them and Banks are the only ones I know of.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Somehow I'm late to the party.  Man, you did a NUMBER on that diff!

As for covers, Trick Flow makes one.  That's the one on Big Blue, and it has a drain, fill, and pre-load on the bearing caps.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The more you know!  ðŸŒ 

I don't want or need anything fancy.
I already ordered a weld in bung from Amazon.
I'll take care of that when I pull the cover back off.

I only want to be able to change the gear oil without creating a huge mess and having to wait for RTV to set.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn't think that was what you wanted or needed.  Not sure Big Blue needed it, but Vern had it put on - although the pre-load on the bearing caps wasn't set right.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 strikes again!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  He sure went to town on BB.

I'd had the truck for three years before I even thought about the diff cover, and only then because the load sensing valve on the rear brakes attaches to it.  I removed the valve because it was keeping the pressure to the rear brakes too low, maybe due to the serious springs Vern had on there which held the rear way too high even when loaded.

Anyway, when I removed the valve I knew I'd need to re-torque the bolts for the cover so I checked them - 2 ft-lb on one and 5 on the other.  But the spec's called for 25 ft-lbs, and after you torque all of the cover bolts down you then set the pre-load on the bearing caps.  So with all of the bolts far from tight I figured I ought to loosen the pre-load bolts first - but they weren't tight either.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's Methed up!   😆
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's Methed up!   😆

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Did your '89 have 4.10's?
Open or LS?
It's like any other BOM: ratio, axle capacity, coded components list, date of manufacture.

Obviously the details were more important in the fall of 86 when this axle sat in a freight car full of the same waiting to get stuffed under my truck.

Edit to clarify punctuation and spelling. I HATE my new screen protector! 🤬
I have two tags.

One says:

V111B
4L10 10 2 6C19 -Guessing this one is a 1986

The other says:

V129C
4.10 10 2 8A26 -Guessing this is a 1988
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The V111B is LS built March 19th 86
And:
The V129C, more like mine, open diff, 29 January of '88

Do you want to sell them?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So far not a peep from Bob.

I went and picked up another gallon of Valvoline 70-140 synthetic gear lube in bags.
I already have a new pinion yoke, straps, seal, crush collar, nut and Spicer U-joint.
Plus, I ordered a weld in bung for my cover.

This seems like the perfect time to go with an LS carrier, springs and clutches, but I don't really see them, nor know if I want to fight that  going in....

My shopping cart looks like

What am I missing?  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The cart looks pretty complete.  I don't notice anything missing.  Good luck, Jim!  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
ouch!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, it's a little more than my 1k seat of the pants guesstimate...
$1,409.05 with CT tax, PLUS shipping.  ðŸ™„

Play stupid games win stupid prizes!  ðŸ˜‚
 Jim,
1234 ... 6