Source for repop axle tags?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
102 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Source for repop axle tags?

mat in tn
like when my son destroyed his e4od. when I pulled the cover off and saw the pieces, I told him that it looks as if somebody was slap shifting this. to which he responded, "but I wasn't even doing that then..." KIDS!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill's sig says growing up is optional.

My brother just bought me a tee shirt that says "I fix $#!+ ... and I know things"

I knew the diff was touchy and I've been trying to figure out a place/time to get to it
I even had what I thought I needed.... until BOOM! 💥

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
In your professional opinion, is it worth my time and $ to go with factory LS?

I personally don't think too much of them but if there ever was a time.....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Personal opinion, I like the Detroit Truetrac in my GMC better than the factory LS's.

Spendy though.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-TrueTrac/363/915A550/10002/-1?utm_campaign=2003851&utm_source=impactradius&utm_medium=affiliate&clickid=1cDxh5TdFxyNR4913-wbB0rvUkHwh4x0K2p-U00&irgwc=1&im_rewards=1&utm_content=Bing%20Rebates%20by%20Microsoft_1cDxh5TdFxyNR4913-wbB0rvUkHwh4x0K2p-U00_1673585_BANNER_
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm broke as a joke and already looking at $1500 worth of parts. 🙄
It would offset $489.78 for a carrier and spider gears.

It's also not in stock.....

So, that's kinda off the table, but I appreciate and value your opinion.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm broke as a joke and already looking at $1500 worth of parts. 🙄
It would offset $489.78 for a carrier and spider gears.

It's also not in stock.....

So, that's kinda off the table, but I appreciate and value your opinion.  
I hear ya!

Bought mine and the bearing kit and had it installed. But, I'm glad I did. Went over the passes yesterday and it was snowing pretty good higher up. Pretty slick.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Do you want to sell them?
Nope, but I can send it your way if you send me your address.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's a very kind and generous offer Shaun!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Absolutely F this Captcha 🐂💩!

I'm right about done with this forum software and it's 'quirks'

I can ABSOLUTELY identify motorcycles, stairs and palm trees.
But not some deliberately blurry thumbnail on my phone screen.

It is NOT MY JOB to train someone else's AI to identify random objects from satellite images.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's a very kind and generous offer Shaun!  
You're welcome! Do you want them both or just the 1988 one that closely matches you truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Since I don't see my finances allowing me to go for the LS carrier and clutches in this lifetime, I'd be very grateful for the regular 4,10 open tag.  🙂

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Oh boy did you ever smash up that diff lol. Well done!

I've blown up a lot of GM differentials, but never in a Ford (yet)! Had the carrier pin let go in the rear diff of an '84 Z-28 on the highway. When I finally took the cover off, all the parts came pouring out with the fluid like yours.

Good luck Jim!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Sorry Jim, I didn't notice being tagged.  I registered for this board using an e-mail address I (sort of) share with Lesley, but I don't check it often, and she doesn't always tell me if there's something for me.

And also sorry, but I don't really know anything about Motive Gear.  I've certainly heard of them a lot, but nothing very specific.

And I don't think I've ever heard of Rockland.

Dana/Spicer is obviously a well known brand that seems to have a very good reputation for quality, but no experience there either.

I used Yukon when I built Pluto's front axle, and I think they are good.  But I really don't know about any others.

You were also asking about limited slips.  Personally I'd pay more to have an open diff over a factory limited slip.  The problem for me is that there's no sweet spot between being too tight and too loose.  When I bought my F-250 it had a factory limited slip with 160,000 miles.  It was so worn out that I would only ever light up one tire if I accelerated too hard, but it was also still too tight for me in that it wanted to spin the truck out when coasting around a curve on ice.  Personally I'd go with a Truetrac or an automatic locker (but I know automatic lockers aren't for everyone).  Or a selectable locker as a high buck possibility.  Or an open diff if I didn't want to spring for a Truetrac.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks Cory!  

Yeah, 7,000# truck at 70mph....= 💥

I'm not liking the fact that I can't find another short pinion 10.25 at ANY local scrapyard.
These things are HEAVY so shipping one in without a guarantee that it's 100% is not going to happen.
But, as you see I'm looking at $1500 from Rock Auto, so you can only imagine what that would be retail. (yeah, I know how that plays out in Canada 🙄)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Thanks for your advice Bob.

I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to go back open.
It's already a big chunk of change for my not getting to it soon enough.  

My knee's blown out so I couldn't even push the clutch if I wanted to.
And my wallet isn't happy either, so it might be a while before I dive into fixing it.

On the plus side, I'm probably saving $150 a week on gas, driving my brothers beater.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thanks Cory!  

Yeah, 7,000# truck at 70mph....= 💥

I'm not liking the fact that I can't find another short pinion 10.25 at ANY local scrapyard.
These things are HEAVY so shipping one in without a guarantee that it's 100% is not going to happen.
But, as you see I'm looking at $1500 from Rock Auto, so you can only imagine what that would be retail. (yeah, I know how that plays out in Canada 🙄)
Jim,

I hear ya brother! I bought a Ford 8.8 rear diff from a junkyard in Quebec and had it shipped out east. Obviously I didn't get to see it first...junkyard stuff can be so risky. Anyway, it was full of rust and I ended up having to swap all bearings and seals and spent a full day cleaning the inside of it out. What a racket.

I welded a 3" wire wheel to the end of a 3' length of threaded rod and used it with the drill to clean out the axle tubes. Worked great, but it was never in my plan to HAVE to do that.

The US exchange rate is not good these days. It's 1.35, which ends up being about 1.37 at least, so that adds up QUICK.

Good luck with it Jim! Too bad you couldn't find a complete one to swap in!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I may still....
But I want to pull the cover and SEE what I'm getting.

I remember you having to go through all that....

Not for me.
I'm too old and right now cranky, because of the constant pain.
There's a truck parts yard up in Willamantic that might have one, but that's a drive and they would have to be willing to let me peel it open, or NO DEAL.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Have you tried car-part.com for searching junkyards? I've found that really slick for finding parts...but not necessarily close.

I found a 4R70W transmission I wanted in Quebec, and it was listed as only having something like 20k miles on it. The whole thing seemed too good to be true so I pulled a Carfax on the VIN and it ended up having more like 220k miles on it lol. Damn junkyards...

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And that's EXACTLY why I won't even bother to search online.

I've been screwed too many times to fall for that sort of thing, and im not into making myself angry.
I'm frustrated enough.as it is.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Bob - You can change the email address by editing your personal information.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI