classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So-Cal Mechanic Needed - 85 F250 460

king_kyrone
Hey y'all,

I have a single cab long box F250 with the oil thirsty 460 that's in need of a rear main seal from what I can tell along with a few other bits. I've got a built up retired cup car motor with 525 crank hp and some other bits strapped to it that'll be going in next summer when I'm finally home off overseas work for more than a week at a time.

Until then, I'm looking for a mechanic that can either help do the main seal with me and show me the ways and tricks (I'm an old fashioned Mercedes guy) or I can pay to do it for me. Either way, it's leaking a pile of oil a day, so it needs to be done before the EPA show up, ha.

I'm in Los Angeles, so local is ideal or somewhere So-Cal. All of my Nascar, drag, and hot rod friends won't touch it because it's in a truck so any leaders or pointers are always welcome.

Gary, apologies if in the wrong section!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So-Cal Mechanic Needed - 85 F250 460

NZCOBRA
I'm not familiar with the big block in your truck , but obviously you need to get the sump off , remove the rear cap , and get a long punch , keep away from the crank surface and tap the seal around , you'll only get so far , then you'll need to get a hold of it with some pliers and drag it out , it's easier if you can loosen the other caps a little and move crank down a tad , but you have the trans on , they say the cometic viton seals are the best , watch out on the install you can shave the seal on the sharp edge , maybe a careful file on the edge , leave seal ΒΌ up and set cap seal the same opposite side , I just use oil on it , I've seen the moly stuff dry out , not good , also on some instructions I had once said no sealant  on the ends , which I think is a good idea because if you put some silicon or something on the ends  and it squeezes out then it interrupts the seal edge . Cheers mate .
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This area is fine.  Hope you get good recommendations, but I don't know any good mechanics in CA.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by king_kyrone
You're really going to want to remove the flywheel/Flex Plate and for a 4x4 460 it is an engine out operation to pull the oil pan. (believe me, I've had a new pan and gasket for a year)

The back 'ledge' of the block (with the oil pressure sender removed) will hit the firewall long before you can get the rear sump pan past the pump and pickup, even if you can get to all the pan bolts with the exhaust disconnected, motor mounts and adapter plates off and the engine pulled up tight with a crane.

Sorry for the bad news.

Gary will confirm. There's no getting that pan off and dropping the crank in situ.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.