classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Show Planning - Classes & Trophies

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I need some help.  I need to get the trophies on order very soon, and want to ensure I have the right classes/categories before I do.

What we had last year were these:

Farthest Distance Driven (we meant "in an entered truck")

Best Paint

Best Engine

Closest To Stock

Best Upgrades

People's Favorite

Are these the right classes?  Should we have more?  If so, what?  Do we want a category for the farthest someone has come in addition to driven?

Please share your thoughts soonest as we really need to get this nailed down ASAP.

Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Show Planning - Classes & Trophies

1986F150Six
Administrator
Perhaps T-shirts for the ones who travel the farthest [no truck entered], so the event could gain recognition in their home land when the shirts are worn?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that's a different subject.  But while on it, I do have t-shirts planned for those that help with the show, which I think will include the travelers.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I like the categories as it gives a variety of trucks the chance to win (besides the typical “show truck”) and you put a lot of thought into that for last year. I also think the number of categories suits the size of the show. Hopefully this year will be a little bigger, but the number of trophies seems appropriate. If you did want to add one, I might suggest best interior, just because I have such a soft spot for the inside trim details. As for the furthest distance driven... I just moved another 100 miles further away from Skiatook 😉
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks for the input.  That makes one less issue I have to wrestle with if I can just go with what I have.  But, I'll consider the interior as well.

As for the extra 100 miles, I think that's icing on the cake.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the extra 100 miles, I think that's icing on the cake.  
I give up [regarding competing with Jonathan}... I think I will just fly in!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
David, I have been kinda seriously thinking to myself the exact same thing, that I should just fly. I looked it up on the map, the Tulsa airport looks fairly close by.

But part of the enjoyment of this is the road trip and the things I see. For example, a freakin' TURTLE crossing the road! And bugs... some of them the size of a baseball (in the swamp, taking the shortcut off 20 and you come into a podunk town called Ralston or somesuch).

So, I dunno... but I've been seriously thinking to myself about it....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think David was just funning.  But, if you want to fly in I can pick you up at the airport - assuming it isn't the day of the show.  (Or, for that matter, Friday afternoon very late.  We are having a lot of people over to the house and I'll be picking up the Mac's BBQ, etc.)

However, you would miss those side trips.  Like the one off US60 on 9 Mile Road that did dump you out at Ralston.  Then across the river and you picked up OK20.  And in the Arkansas river bottom you did get into some rather large insects.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hasn't Chris spent "extra time" several times when taking the shortcut? Hmmm???

And, yes, Gary. I was "funning". I will be flying low on the radar @ 60-65mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris doesn't have "a" short cut.  He's figured out several of them - apparently because he doesn't believe his GPS.

One was to take the business route into Ponca City, wherein he got lost.  He called me from a Conoco gas station I used to drive by on my way to work every day, so I told him how to come on to Skiatook.

So, maybe flying IS better for him?  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
 At least on a plane, he will not have to go off the beaten path seeking 100% premium gasoline.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot that ....... "reason".  (I almost called it an "excuse", but decided I shouldn't.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, I've taken some unexpected detours over the years, that Conoco station is a tiny shack on a street corner but with some very friendly people! None of whom could tell me how to get to Skiatook, a foreign place to them. Seriously.

And some detours in Kansas, yes, on the hunt for non-ethanol, high-octane gasoline, the SHO loves that stuff. But I probably won't take one this year, I don't trust either of them for a trip like that at this point. My mom's boring Altima will have to do.

The truck gets 10 MPG, the gasoline cost would be twice what it normally is - about the price of a plane ticket & back. ;)

I guess I could put a bra on it, combined with some headlight covers & whatnot in an attempt to help aerodynamics.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don’t think aerodynamics has much to do with it. I’m getting 11-12 MPG w/a 460 at 65 MPH, and the engine is spinning 2500 RPM. That’s the same RPM the 2.4.L Subaru is turning at that speed.  🤪

But your 400 should do better than 10. Bring it down - we might get you to 12. 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
I don’t think aerodynamics has much to do with it. I’m getting 11-12 MPG w/a 460 at 65 MPH, and the engine is spinning 2500 RPM. That’s the same RPM the 2.4.L Subaru is turning at that speed.  🤪

But your 400 should do better than 10. Bring it down - we might get you to 12. 😉
Man, I gotta come to the GTG next year, I'd love to get 11-12! I'm lucky if I get 10. Need a real good test though with the new Holley on there.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by ctubutis
Chris, I can guide you in from Wichita, I have a GPS on my motorbike, lol....  Rt 15 - 18 - 20

Gary, I take a 3X..........
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ctubutis
ctubutis wrote
LOL!!!!!!

I guess I could put a bra on it, combined with some headlight covers & whatnot in an attempt to help aerodynamics.
You do have experience with bras, don't you, Chris?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Grumpin - A big difference is that I have a T19 and you have the C6.  The unlocked torque converter plus the other, pretty serious, inefficiencies in the C6 can account for up to 2 MPG of loss.  Not saying don't come as I'd love to meet you, but 10 - 11 MPG may be all yours is good for.  

Vinny - You've stumbled onto a good route, assuming you don't want to be on the turnpike/interstate.  I'm originally from Arkansas City, KS and have driven those roads many, many times.  The route you outlined is through some of the better countryside in that part of Kansas.  But if you want to make time, I35 to US60 to  either 18 & then 20 or 99 to 20 is the faster way.  And, the shirt size, and implied offer to help, is noted.  Thanks!

David - Good one!

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Yes Gary, put me to work if you need me, scheduled be in town on the 12th, but can be there earlier if you need me.

I've been sticking to the back roads for my summer motorbike trip, logged 7k miles so far, only a few times have I been pushed on to the hyways
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me know when you get to town.  The 12th is Wednesday and we have church that evening.  But others may be coming in on Thursday and we could get together here at the house & shop then as well as during the day on Friday.  Then Friday evening we plan to have a dinner at our house for all those who've come from afar, so please plan on that as well.

As for working, my intent is to have some highly-visible shirts made so that those coming into the show can find one of us that knows what is going on.  (Which tells me that I need to think through what is going on and cover that with y'all on Friday evening.  )  Then, when you wear the shirt "back home" people will ask questions.