classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
109 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Return of Code 31...

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
From here it looks like someone has already wrapped and soldered a splice in that white wire at the center.

I generally dislike this work.
I helps if you can stagger th splices so you don't end up with one huge wad in the harness.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I missed the "repair", although I'm not sure it was very effective.

But fully agree about staggering the joints.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
If you need specific colors let me know, I have a lot of salvaged wire from both Ford and Chrysler products.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks!  I will send you a message.

Looks like 8 wires to be replaced (just looking for breaks, missing insulation, etc)

So far the rest of the harness looks ok, only the exposed areas look to have all the damage.

Just curious, was the entire harness wrapped originally?  It’s hard to believe Ford would have left all those wires exposed at the rear of the engine.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Harness should be wrapped, but like I said it looks like someone has already been there because Ford doesn't make splices like that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Perhaps they "fixed" something when I got the engine rebuilt (this was 20+ years ago now, but it would explain a lot)
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"they"...... there's always a 'they'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
True story.  I have found several things on the truck where "they" did things that were just "bad", things that I would never do or leave the way they were.

In this instance, the "they" was the engine shop that rebuilt my 302.  The engine itself seems fine still, but they took forever.  I was too young to figure it out at the time, but after working on this EEC-IV system, my guess is they spent a month troubleshooting it when they put everything back together.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Hi Bill,

I sent you a message through your profile.  Not sure if it went through though, but I know there's a bug in that part of the site.  If you didn't, let me know how I can get ahold of you.  Thanks!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I rarely find an instance where it's easier to un'fix' something than it would have been to fix it right the first time around.  

That said, if this truck doesn't die before I do I'm sure there'll be more than one person cursing my innovative engineering!  

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I need to document Darth as I have my Lebaron for whoever winds up with either.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m out and about, but will comment later. However, BB’s aux battery should have been included in the figure as he came with one. But obviously not the winch nor bumper. Subtract for the headers, but add for the inverter, air compressor, bed cover, jack, etc, etc, etc.

On the other hand, there’s the D60 and SD springs, so….

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
. Wrong thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Gary, while I inadvertently have you here: The "Send email to member" function - I know you don't get an on screen confirmation, but I selected the "CC me" checkbox and didn't get an email copy.  

I'm trying to send a message to Bill to get in touch with him regarding his generous offer - even if I didn't get a copy of the email, do we think the message was sent?

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not Gary but check your spam.
Might as well whitelist Nabble while you're at it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The email system on the forum is a mess.  That's apparently because Franklin, Mr Nabble, diddled with it to prevent spammers from using it.  So it doesn't tell you when it sends a message, and doesn't always send one.

So I sent you and Bill an email to connect you 'cause I have your email addresses.  Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
No worries Gary, much appreciated!

It looks like the script or page is caught in a loop, it hits the same URLs more than a 500 times before it gives up.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - Would you be willing to see if you can figure out how to fix it?  I can make you an admin, which will let you examine or even edit the code that runs most of the forum.  I say "most" because there is some core code that we cannot get to.

And the code is in Nabble, which is a one-off code.  But it isn't that difficult to understand.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Sure, I'd be happy to take a peek and see what I can do.  No promises, but with enough time I can probably get to the correct layer of this onion  (its just like working on a Bullnose, you really don't know what you're getting into at the beginning!)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I've made you an admin, but will email you with some info on how editing works.  But be aware that you also have the power to delete the whole forum.