classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Resurrecting an antique battery charger

85lebaront2
Administrator

I actually have no idea how old this is, I acquired it a number of years ago. I borrowed it from a friend's shop in Newport News VA to use working on one of my Diesel GM cars as I need something with a good output to crank them rather than immediately buying two side post batteries. While I had it, he had a fire that destroyed one end of the building. I called and asked if he needed it back and was told, oh, that one was destroyed in the fire.

I asked no further and have had it ever since. Over the years the original foot in the front came off somewhere and the fan sounded like it wanted to escape, before settling down. I managed to get most of the screws out and found the transformer was loose on it's mounts and missing one screw completely. The bottom was badly bent and the fan had been hitting the case. I had to break one and cut one of the four 1/4-20 screws that held the transformer and rectifier along with the fan motor to the bottom of the case. I replaced all of them with new 1/4-20 bolts and hex nuts with attached serrated lock washers. I fabricated a new foot after finding a picture of a Silver Beauty 8250 but will need to cut the ends off a bit.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Resurrecting an antique battery charger

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  250 amps!  That's quite some punch.  Must have a serious transformer in it.  Well done, Bill!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes it is, that's why I repaired it. First use will be adjusting the windows on the LeBaron as it can keep up with the load even better than the factory alternator.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope the alligator clips are heavy duty!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
That's a cool old beast.  

I've always thought of FMC as a chemical company that strangely had a hand in military equipment and firetrucks, but I didn't realize they had a semiconductor division.
I know Snap-On bought their automotive division years back.

I'm pretty sure they're only an Ag sciences company now.
Or at least that's what my sister said when I asked about their building in Philadelphia.

It seems that battery charger not only survived the fire 😉 but has a long life ahead of it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It definitely has some heavy duty alligator clamps. Jim, it was at my house in Newport News when he had the fire, that's why it was "destroyed" in the fire.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, wink wink. Nudge, nudge...

I'd guess it has seen some flooding or sat in the dirt if the foot rusted off, but you seem to have that covered.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The bottom of the front where it is rusted says "Triple A Specialty Company". I used it today for about 4 hours while I was trying to get the windows on the convertible adjusted correctly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile