Replacing a turn switch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacing a turn switch

IowaTom
Hmm...I'm a bit stuck here.  Looks like I have to further disassemble to get the harness out.  

Any help from someone who's BTDT would be much obliged!

Peeling an onion, Gary, peeling an onion.  :-)

'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing a turn switch

IowaTom
sorry...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Some have de-pinned the connector go get the cable out.  BUT, if you do make SURE you take really good pics and written notes about what wire goes where.  There are differences from year to year in the wiring and it is a big pain to figure out how it should be wired for your truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thanks Gary.  Yet another layer of onion.  Well, if I've got to then I'll take your advice and take my time.
Hoping this doesn't have to be done again - in my lifetime, at least!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure you have to as I've not had to do it.  But some other who have done it found it easiest to de-pin.  However, one such spent months trying to figure out why things didn't work, only to discover he was off one hole on one pin.  Fixed that and everything worked.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I saw some Youtube videos of people doing horrible things to their wiring and trying to force the connector through parts of the column etc.  De-pinning is the way to go!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I depinned mine on my old 86.

Take pictures, draw a picture with wire colors and location. The EVTM is helpful.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Another in the de-pin camp (not that Tom needs to hear the consensus)
Just take a picture and be methodical.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Got my new switch today and wondering where I need to carefully jam something sharp to get these pins out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You have to remove the red "keeper" to allow removal of the pins.  Then you'll be able to see a tab that protrudes out of each pin that keeps the pin from coming out the back.  If you insert a very slender tool from the front to push that tab in then the pin will come out.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Tom, you need to first pull out that red plastic retainer, then you can access the pins with a dental pick (or an actual depinning tool)

Be very careful not to bend the retaining tangs too much.

If you're done with the old one already installed just cut the wires and tie a string on so you have something to pull the new wires back down.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary beat me to it.

Hey! Aren't you extra busy this weekend, or something????  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've had my shower and am sitting with my feet up trying to catch up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Would be a lot easier if replacement TSS's came with the connector loose since there's only one way to get the new one in...💡

Some forward thinking aftermarket company could probably charge a $5 premium and save themselves an assembly step at the same time.
But what do I know?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure it's time to relax, Gary.

But knowing you you're probably taking notes on the days events and plotting next years GTG.  

Looking forward to some coverage.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
<<Would be a lot easier if replacement TSS's came with the connector loose since there's only one way to get the new one in>>

My thought exactly, as I was taking the pins out!    Bought a "Shee-Mar, Inc" SM66F switch that fit fine.  Supposedly for a tilt column, although mine isn't.

I used painter's tape to wrap up the wires and rubber sleeve, staggering the wires a little so as not to have a clump trying to squeeze thru at the same time.  

Thanks guys!  It's one more thing off my check list and picked up the know-how.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I emailed the company with the suggestion they pass along to the manufacturer the idea of packaging their switches de-pinned.  They'd probably have to include a diagram on how the wires go, so we're not likely to see that happen.

I wonder if other makes of our vintage trucks require de-pinning?  De-pends, I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You stole my million dollar idea????   🤯

I'm sure snaking wires through steering columns isn't exclusive to our trucks.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm sure it's time to relax, Gary.

But knowing you you're probably taking notes on the days events and plotting next years GTG.  

Looking forward to some coverage.
Coverage will have to wait.  John/Machspeed took all the pictures.  Steve/Foxford33 did Facebook Live, so I need to get links to those, and Jeff/Big Brother took drone videos which he will send me.

But I can say we had a wonderful day.  A bit of rain in the morning appears to have kept some people away, but we had 18 trucks - of which 10 were Bullnose.  By far the best Bullnose turnout we've had, and many of those were from the forum, or at least in one case supposedly will be.

But hopefully I'll get the list of participants and winners posted soon.  Lots of forum members took home trophies.