48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-building my 1986 302/347 Bronco

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yikes!  That is D.A.M.A.G.E.D!  

I'd really be surprised if the cam isn't bad as well.  But about the only way I know of to check it is to turn the engine over until the questionable lobe starts coming up and compare it to another lobe.  Turn it a few degrees and take a pic.  Turn it a bit more and take another pic.  Etc.  Then check a lobe where the lifter looks good.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
in my experience, the cam is now bad! this really looks to be a case where the ability of the lifter to rotate in its bore was not proven before assembly. the camshaft lobes in a flat tappet design are offset to put a positive "spin" of the lifter. in doing this the lobe and the lifter contact surface polish to each other to a fine finish but if the lifter does not rotate it does the exact opposite and grinds into the lifter. sometimes to the point of making the lifter hard to remove. or even impossible without removing the camshaft first. any scratches in that bore may be from pulling that lifter just now. it saddens me for your sake, but the engine should be disassembled and reinspected thoroughly. this is the primary reason for a hydraulic camshaft to go through a proper break in procedure. but still if the lifter cannot spin freely, it will not break in correctly regardless of whether the rest of the procedure was correct. if the lifters are inferior then this becomes even more likely.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mat, there is a real problem currently with cams and lifters failing during break in, even roller cams and factory engines.

Google cam failures on YouTube, or go to YouTube and look for Ford Boss Me.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, there is. I've been dealing with and watching it for about three years now. to the point that I am looking for oem cams more than ever and rebuilding lifters too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes...I've bought a endoscopic camera for my mobile to check it.

I hope the lobe was hard enough to resist...I don't want to get out the cam if it's not necessary...I will post photos tomorrow...
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Hmm...my old lifters (I don't know if this were the stock ones) got my scrap dealer two weeks ago...

But I still have my cam and crankshaft. But also there I don't know if these were the first ones...

I don't know that it makes sense to rebuild lifters...

In Germany it's also very expensive to let re-build cam- and crankshafts...it's more expensive than new ones...
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there is a real problem with rebuilding/re using hydraulic flat tappets. the contact surface has already been polished to the cam it was previously installed with. possibly enough so that it is too polished to rotate positively. when im rebuilding lifters im mostly referring to roller lifters.
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
In reply to this post by ReneH
Hi! While waiting for my replacement cam, I'll show you my custom build exhaust system, regarding to the real title of this threat: Everything is custom made, execpt the headers (stainless steel from alibaba, good quality. I've bought there before the header for my CJ7) and the muffler (bought from a racing equipment store in germany) I start with the headers collecting each port in 2.5" pipes. Both meet in a y-pipe, equiped with one db-killer, each side and expanding to 3". This setup follows a 3" muffler (also with a db-killer inside) ending in a 3" tail-pipe, going around 180 degrees to get it out before the passenger-side rear-wheel. It sounds very good, in my opinion...a bit like a dragster... So I have added the two db-killers inside the y-pipe. I have had no chance to test ist, cause (some of you know) I need a new cam... Next weekend I will install the new cam and set-up the engine as doing the cam break-in with new lifters from melling again. I will keep you up-to-date...have a nice time...
René's Profile