OEM Antenna Style?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OEM Antenna Style?

Dorsai
Like everything (except the transmission) on my truck that isn’t a standard Custom feature, my radio was added after the truck left the plant.  My antenna base is looking pretty ragged, so I decided to replace it while the cowl is off.

My new antenna arrived today from LMC, and it’s different than my old one.  The bases are similar, but while my old antenna is a 29” whip, my new one is three sections that telescope to nearly 48”.

If my radio had come from the factory, what would it have been equipped with?

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OEM Antenna Style?

Matt Wood
does it telescope automatically? it is definitely not the same as the one on mine, my one goes about 6 inches higher than the roof and is solid. i have no reason to believe that its aftermarket in my case.
'Shelby' - 1985 bronco XLT, 351W C6, Limited slip 9 inch
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Dorsai
On my '84 a whip was standard, can't tell you the length as I don't have it. I planned on replacing it with the same one you got and must have gotten rid of it. I had a nightmare installing the LMC 'OE style' with the bottom claws completely deforming while trying to tighten the top nut(which wouldn't turn by hand). I gave up on the whole thing and installed my OE base. I'll get a new OE chrome cover and antenna which LMC also sells(I'll try to return the other one). Should have done that to begin with, but I liked the idea of a telescopic antenna as I don't really listen to radio and the antenna wouldn't have to hit the garage door every time I drove through it.

Good luck installing yours.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Dorsai
My '82 used to have a 3 section mast antenna but it got caught on a tree limb while backing out of the driveway and shattered.  Couldn't find a replacement 3 section mast and I couldn't find any listing of one in the parts and illustration guide so I just got a NOS 1 piece mast that threaded into the OE mount.

Thing is that three piece mast doesn't look like mine though.  Mine fully collapsed was just slightly above the cab of the truck and it had a ball tip on it like shown on your one piece mast.  That is some aftermarket setup for sure.  But I do know my original mast to my truck was a 3 piece.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I'm not hearing any consensus here...maybe there were multiple antenna types used by the factory, perhaps depending on year and trim level?  Fortunately I'm not hung up on having an OE antenna.

Thanks for the feedback.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our page at Documentation/Electrical/Radio says there was one antenna.  And I know it didn't telescope.

Here's the whole thing with lead-in:

Here's the replacement mast:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Which is hard to say because you can replace the mast so my 3 piece mast for example that has the OE antenna base could have very well just been some aftermarket swap in mast.  I really liked the 3 piece mast though but I am currently running the E0TZ-18B812-A mast, found a NOS on ebay after the replacement one I got formed rust on the tip of the ball that proceeded to rot out the rest of the mast.

The NOS one is still like new even though I haven't cleaned the truck in 2 1/2 years now.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Our page at Documentation/Electrical/Radio says there was one antenna.  And I know it didn't telescope.
One of these days I'll remember to check the documentation here before I post.

Thanks.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not too worry.  I'm probably the only one that knows where things are hidden and I've realized even I don't know where everything is.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis