68 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noisy Power Steering

BigBrother-84
Ok, good advice.
I'll start that way.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
One thing I do not understand is why did not Ford run the PS line through a FINNED cooler.  That would help a lot!  

The extra line going around the Cross Member is fine, and adds volume, but heat transfer needs fins I would think.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I never noticed that my old C2 was running hot?  
Certainly the Saginaw doesn't.

They should be thoroughly warm just like any other hydraulic system.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
That cross member is a pretty good heat sink and is at least as effective as a little finned loop on the AC compressor
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Jeff, your arrow is pointing to the input shaft seal.
If it were me I would pull the plastic rag joint shroud back up the shaft and thoroughly clean the area.
Start the engine and observe for where it's coming from.
Maybe have someone else turn the wheels while I watched closely for weeping.
Test done.  Yep, the PS gear box started to leak, generously.  This old original box is at the end of the road.

I decided it is time for a PS renewal.  I do not want to dig myself in a refurbishment of the gear box, so I'll simply change it.
Since Blue Top doesn't ship across the border, and Redhead isn't cheap (US to CAD $ exchange, plus expansive shipping), I'll go with NAPA refurbished one, correct price and lifetime warranty.

Playing in that area of the truck, I'll change the PS pump too.  I'll buy myself a nice treat with a Lee replacement PS pump.  We'll see how it does, hoping it will live up to my expectations, stay tuned.

The column itself is a NOS installed during resto, was lucky to find it.

So, after this operation, the PS will be like new.

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Be aware that all refurbished steering boxes, other than Redhead & Blue Top, just re-use an already worn casting. So they will have some slop, and how much is down to the luck of the draw.

The PO of Big Blue put a high-dollar rebuilt box on and it is surely where the play is. I really wish he’d spent the money and gotten a Redhead or Blue Top. Everything else is new, but the steering still isn’t tight.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Be aware that all refurbished steering boxes, other than Redhead & Blue Top, just re-use an already worn casting.
Yep, there are plenty of comments on the Forum about that, I am aware of.
But across the border, a Redhead is very very expansive.
So I take a chance with a rebuilt NAPA one, crossing fingers.  Really need to fix this oil leak.
If I go to US, I'll probably consider to take a Blue Top aboard.  We'll see.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the issues.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That Lares PS pump looks interesting.

I have 33inch tires on Espy right now so anything that helps the lil C2 out is a good thing. Seems to be a fair compromise between performance and $.

Anyone installed one and have any feedback?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
The Lares for me is excellent.

Lee has a C2 with Saginaw guts, but it is spendy.  One reason to convert to saginaw is BIG tires.  

As for Bluetop:  I bought and installed one a few months ago.  I can confirm it is WELL WORTH the money, especially when combined with a borgeson.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I have the blue top and borg and they are great. The PS pump I have is an auto zone C2 that hasn't complained too bad as of yet. With the 31inch tires I had, it all felt pretty good. Since going to 33inch tires it has all got a little sloppy again.

I am in the process (many months of purchases) of accumulating all the parts of a front end rebuild (from pitman arm to wheel hubs and bearings, ball joints and shocks/springs and everything else I could think of), it would seem to be a good idea to upgrade the PS pump as part of all this.

The Lares is now officially on my list...

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue wrote
That Lares PS pump looks interesting.
Anyone installed one and have any feedback?
Earlier this month, I emailed Lares and asked about their CII:
Is this pump exact reproduction of Ford OEM ones?  Which are well known to be a bit noisy...  Or maybe you made some modifications about it?

Their answer:
Hello JF,
Yes our part #12338 is a upgraded design which runs quieter than the original OE.

I really considered the Lares' one.
Seems to be very interesting.

I hesitated a lot, but finally decided to go with the Lee, I am really intrigued about this CII with Saginaw guts...

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I am sure that is the best way to go, looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Money is tight this year, so we will see where it goes. The C2 is not complaining too much as of yet, so let's see what happens after the front end rebuild. At least replacing the pump is easy and I can do it any time.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
AmericanSavage wrote
One thing I do not understand is why did not Ford run the PS line through a FINNED cooler.  That would help a lot!  

The extra line going around the Cross Member is fine, and adds volume, but heat transfer needs fins I would think.

My 1972 F-250 had a Finned PS cooler. Wonder how hard that would be to engineer to a newer truck?

-----

Heat can also transfer through direct contact, like through the metal contact between the PS line and crossmember, or your hand if you touch something hot.  
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Hey Jeff,

How do you like the Lee with the Sag guts?  I was considering that one as well.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Erik, I am waiting about UPS, arrival planned somewhere in the middle of next week.

I plan to do the PS job (pump+box) during the first week of June.

I'll document it here.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
BigBrother-84 wrote
Erik, I am waiting about UPS, arrival planned somewhere in the middle of next week.

I plan to do the PS job (pump+box) during the first week of June.

I'll document it here.
Sweet.  I am interested.  

And as for the comment above on a finned PS—EASY to do.  Those finned unites can be found for less than $40.  I have not done it, but back in the day before JAGG made oil cooler unites for the Harley, they used a fabbed up two tube unit for extra cooling.  Not as pretty as the JAGG but it worked great—cooled at least 20 degrees.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
81-F150-Explorer wrote
My 1972 F-250 had a Finned PS cooler. Wonder how hard that would be to engineer to a newer truck?
  If you want some additional cooling cut off the top of the passenger side loop and install a small finned cooler like the Derale 13213 for ~$30
That will keep it up out of the way of most road debris and you won't have to go crazy re-plumbing the whole system.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
UPS dropped the Lee PS pump at my door:

Won't have time next week, will start the PS renewal following week (beginning of June).
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice looking pump!