classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

kcinga
Just stumbled across this forum as I’ve been conducting many internet searches to gather more information on my truck. I recently purchased a 1986 F350 diesel with dual wheels and a crew cab. Previous owner couldn’t get it on the road himself, so now it’s my turn! I’ve never owned a diesel in my life. It starts and runs beautifully, but the issue with the tachometer has prevented the transmission from engaging properly. I love that it has A/C! I live in Georgia, so it helps to have some way to deal with the heat. I’m moving on from my existing truck, which is a 1971 Ford F100 that I have owned since 2009. It’s been great for piddling: making trips to the dump or picking up loads of mulch or dirt for landscaping around the house. It has no A/C. I’m anxious to get my ‘86 F350 on the road again!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  And that you posted an intro here.  

What part of GA?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by kcinga
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome!  

I wasn't aware the tach has anything to do with shifting a diesel C6
You might need to address the VRV (vacuum regulator valve) on the injection pump, but I'm not an expert IDI mechanic.

Maybe our member Jonathan could better address your issue, but you might post a new topic in the main forum so more eyes get to see your questions. 💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The engine speed sensor is a closed loop on diesel models, as can be seen here in the 1986 EVTM.

The fact that tach/engine speed sensor is optional points hard to the idea that it is not required for shifting a C6 (as many trucks sold drive just fine without a tach cluster ever being installed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
I’m just going by what I see on the internet. Plenty of other people have posted transmission issues related to tachometer (only on automatic transmission, not on manual) on diesel engines. If tachometer not working, then transmission won’t function properly, either. I think they call it “stuck in limp mode”.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
While that's definitely true of later diesels that use a VSS to control shift points through the PSOM, in 1986 everything is analog.
There is no 'limp mode' for a diesel Bullnose truck.

Can you be a little more specific about what your transmission is doing (or not doing)?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
Previous owner told me about limp mode. Transmission was replaced, but since tachometer wasn’t working he thought that was the reason for it barely moving. Tends to work better in reverse. I had it shipped to me and it was driven to my house from semi trailer (he couldn’t get all the way to my subdivision) in reverse. I did drive it in subdivision in drive and got as high as 20-30 mph, but I didn’t want to push it too hard-based on what previous owner was telling me. It does move, but it’s like it really doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Did the new C6 come with a warranty???
Have you confirmed the fluid level and line pressure?
The fact that is works in reverse but is problematic in forward gear makes me think the pump and torque converter are okay and either the clutches are smoked or the solenoids are not applying enough band pressure.

They are very robust and simple transmissions best known for their ability to convert horsepower into heat.

As you can see from the above factory illustration the speed sensor only sends a signal to the tach.
Beyond that one instrument it is completely isolated from the truck wiring.
I'm sorry to say that I think the PO was either very ignorant or very underhanded and took advantage of you.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
kcinga wrote
......barely moving...... Tends to work better in reverse...... It does move, but it’s like it really doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Define "barely moving".

Does it just rev like there's no load attached to the engine?

How free does it roll in neutral?

You probably know where I'm going but it pays to ask stupid questions first.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
PO confirmed that transmission is E4OD… not a C6. So, not sure what I should lookup for wiring? It is a 6.9l diesel. So, it sounds like I have a newer model transmission with an older engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You actually have two threads about this same subject, with Jim responding here and others of us responding on the one in the main section.

But, an E4OD is an Electronic 4speed Over Drive transmission.  Very different from a C6 and it requires a computer.  Will not work w/o one.

So did the PO add a computer?  Like a Baumann?

Maybe you should consolidate the discussion to one or the other threads.  I can move this one to the discussion in the main section or, better yet, we could just go there.  But we need pics of your transmission and all connections thereunto.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Then it needs a standalone transmission controller because there is NO provision for electronically controlled transmissions in these ('80-'86) vehicles.

It should probably get a VSS reading from the speedometer cable output on the tailshaft.
The diesel tach triggers at a completely different rate than a spark ignition truck.

I'm not sure who would have written that strategy but it certainly didn't come from Mark Kovalsky
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Oh.
Hi Gary.

Baumann is pretty obsolete. They've been doing business as US Shift for at least a decade.

I'm fine with pruning this thread and splicing it into another thread if there's more conversation/troubleshooting going on there.
I just have to mind the subject I reply to or edit all the responses in that other thread to whatever subject/title it is.

Jim,