New member from Southeast Missouri

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New member from Southeast Missouri

Weberman
I stumbled across the website trying to explain to my friend about a PMGR starter. I worked in a starter and alternator shop for a couple years so I was trying to explain/find a picture for him so he understand it better. Then I looked through everything and thought I'd join. I have a 1982 Bronco that has a 302/C6. It isn't much to look at but I'll add a pic later
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member from Southeast Missouri

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you joined!  

Southeast MO?  Like Poplar Bluff?  I ask 'cause we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we'd be happy to add you with a town or zip code.

Yes, pics would be great.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Im kinda close to Poplar Bluff. You can put me down for Cape Girardeau.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Weberman
You are on the map!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Here are some pics

Here is when I very first looked at and picked it up at the previous owners house. Had 3 different kinds of rims on it.

It had a dead cylinder in it so a F150 was bought for the motor. It worked out that the rims on that truck were 16" and that is what my F350 had. The tires were getting a little thin for the F350 but I kept the old ones when I got new ones, so along with the tires off my F350 and the rims off the F150, the Bronco got some new shoes.

Sadly, something went on with that engine and it locked up over the winter when the Bronco wasn't being messed with. I found a engine and it had the owner was gonna put it in something of his and decided not to so I got a 302 and AOD. It has a Comp 268H in it, the previous owner doesn't know what else. This is the most recent picture of it.

Sadly, I was chasing a vacuum leak and was more focused on that versus the slight metallic tick and a few days ago it sounded off, did a compression test and #4 was @ 0psi. One of the symptoms that the vacuum gauge pointed to was valves though. I took the valve cover off on that side and the rocker just fell out. My best guess is with the aftermarket cam, they couldn't get the valvetrain just right on that one and left it a bit loose. I know when I adjusted it to put it back on it seemed like more than the 1 turn. I'm guessing with the rocker opening the exhaust less and less, that it did something to the valve and is keeping it open, as I did a leak down and there was a major hiss from the exhaust. I even took the rockers off both valves just to make sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  

Sorry to hear, but a single exhaust valve isn't the end of the world.
I'd be checking spring bind and guide heights though.

We're you able to explain a gear reduction starter to your friend?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Yeah, my mind definitely went different places when I saw 0 compression.

He pretty well has it now, was mostly confused on where to move the wires and I thought a picture would be best so onto Google Images I went.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And you found our pic in Google images?  Cool!

So, what's the plan on the engine?  Did everything but the one cylinder pass the leak-down test?  If so, you are looking at the valve guide and seal, and then pulling the head?

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I only did a leak down on #3 and #4. I just did #3 because I was curious on what a good leak down sounded like and the sparkplugs were out anyways. I did do a compression test on the rest and they were good, all 110+, just a fat 0 on #4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you have the equipment and before you spend much time and money chasing the problem on #4, I'd do a leak-down on all cylinders.

I thought I was going to freshen up the 460 in Big Blue, but discovered two cylinders with 47% leakage and no cylinders with acceptable leakage.  Wanna buy a 460?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Well I'd have to get an actual leak down tester for that. I just took out the valve from my compression tester and just turned the air compressor down to 20psi. I just did #3 to see what a good cylinder would sound like and there was just a faint air leak vs a loud hiss. I got the head off and I'll post pics in a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Sorry, never posted a pic of the valve. It did take a new one. Got everything back together and it wont start. Seems to be an issue with the carb. I look down in it and theres no fuel when I pull the throttle back. I checked and there is fuel getting to the carb. I sprayed some carb cleaner in and it hits a few times and then stops again. Time to do some research.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like the needle valve in the carb is stuck closed.  That would keep gas out of the carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sometimes I just fill the bowls up through the vent tubes.

Maybe a minute or two of running is enough to get things flowing again?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Unless it has to be 100% back together, it still doesn't spray. I took the top off and cleaned the valves and made sure they opened. Even lifted the top off some while the pump was on and fuel came out and filled more. There was fuel in the bowl when I took it off.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So the carb is full or fuel, just none is getting through.

Have you ever rebuilt a carburetor?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Yeah the carb is full in the bowl, just nothing when I pull the throttle all the way back. I took all of the boosters I think they're called off real quick and ran some welding wire through them to make sure they're clear. It hits every now and then now, don't know if it was a side effect of me cleaning the boosters out or assembling it 100%. I haven't truly messed with carbs besides the outside stuff, only in my early 20s.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like the accelerator pump mechanism is assembled incorrectly.  Do you have the check ball and weight in correctly?

And, by the way, welding wire is much too hard to be running through the orifices in a carb as it can enlarge the orifice.  I use a strand of very soft copper wire.

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I noticed something in there when I had the top off but didn't look in there to see what. Im guessing that when I just set it to the side when I had the head off that some of the fuel left varnish and that's it problem. Idk why else it would work fine and then just stop.