New Member but an old guy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member but an old guy

Old 1 Ton
Hi, my name is John. I bought this truck new in 1982 for my wife. I wanted a 1Ton and she wanted a 4-speed, I wanted 4.10s and she wanted A/C. The truck NEW cost 13K with NO options, except a radio & rear slider, it has dealer added A/C and so, retains the factory kick panel vents. It’s gone through the 400M and two 460’s (using 83 perches) with a C6. I am now in the process of switching to a 1971, 429 and adding AOD because the 4.10’s are too hard on fuel these days. I am a retired Union 76 Service Station dealer. I enjoyed 30 years of helping people with their problems. I also enjoy diagnosing drivability and overheating problems. My mind has been idle for 20 years now, so I’m not sure if I still understand all I know. 😊
John,
"The Black Truck" is an 82 F350 4x4, that I bought NEW for 13K... going from a 460 w/C6 & 4.10s, to a 1971 429 w/AOD. It's in the process.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member but an old guy

Rockhauler
Welcome John bet there's a ton of info floating around in that head of yours. I'm new to this site too and spent 30+ years keeping old heavy equipment running. I assume your not in the rust belt or done some careful maintenance for that truck to still be worth a 4th engine. Good luck with the rebuild and share some pictures.

Paul
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

Old 1 Ton
Thank you Paul.

That is very kind of you to say such nice things. I hadn't thought of taking pictures, but now you have inspired me, so I just might.
I'm up in North Idaho off a dirt road that the county uses Mag Chloride for dust control and it was hard on the Black Truck... but I fixed it so it won't rust now.
I think we need to get your 1930 Model A going. My wife got me a Model A for my 40th birthday and we just gave it to my son for his 40th. Too much fun!
Thank you for the kind words.

John

P.S.

Holy Moly, I see a F1 in your picture... looks so cool...

John,
"The Black Truck" is an 82 F350 4x4, that I bought NEW for 13K... going from a 460 w/C6 & 4.10s, to a 1971 429 w/AOD. It's in the process.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Old 1 Ton
Welcome John!  

It seems like you know your way around an old pickup...
And that SWMBO has fine taste in vehicles!

As a longtime fan of the venerable 385, tell us a bit about your plans for a short stroke 460.
I'm gonna tell you now that most of the front dress is going to foul the crossmember and frame rails of a Bullnose, but if you have a 460 in there now, you've pretty much got the bases covered.
The front sump and timing case dipstick of a 429 are not going to work but I'd really love to hear about the build.

Maybe you can start a project thread?  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, welcome!  Glad you joined.  

You've really been all over that truck!  I can't think of anyone that's been through 4 engines.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Old 1 Ton
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Oh my gosh Jim, you made me nervous with talking about the Front Sump on the 429, so I ran over just to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. Yes, I put on a Rear Sump so that should be fine. I will have to use the Oil Filter Adapter that's on the 460 (from an 83 4x4) and I had to clearance the front crossmember to get it to work.
I got lucky because when the family outgrew the 82, I got Caroline an 83 F350 4x4 Crew-Cab, and saw all the mods I was going to need to do to make the 460 fit.
It sounds like you've been down this road before Jim.

As for the motors... the 400M was destroyed by someone at the Tire Shop when they took my baby for a joy ride. The first 460 was built by Bob Lambeck and Bob didn't use a rod heater so the rod just took out the block. The next 460 I just plain wore out. The current 460 is the one out of Caroline's 83 that she wore out after 250K. It's still a Going Jessie, with a guy at AFR doing the heads after hours, a stupid huge cam, 10.5 compression Ross Pistons. I let the kids drag race this 5,800 lb. monster for their High School Drags, before they even had a driver’s license. Oh, what fun! The motor is still going strong @ 65K, but I can't handle the gas mileage, plus the 4.10s need an overdrive in my old age.
So, engine #5 will be the 429 that I had built for gas mileage. (they think I'm nuts, I bet)
I have the adapter kit to hook the AOD to the 385 and according to my measurements it's only 3/4-inch longer than my C6 set-up.
But you know what they say... "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray"

You guys sure are nice.
I’m glad I joined.

John
Lake Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
John,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Would you like to be on our map in Lake Coeur d’Alene, Idaho?  You can see the map on the page at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
welcome. im very interested in the 429/aod combo. I build aods regularly and have modified some too. four of my current trucks have them and I have seen a few of their shortcomings over the years. how much torque are you asking it to take? and what mods have been done?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
John is that white F1 your truck as it looks beautiful and even has the deluxe hood trim. My F1 is long gone to another owner but I do regret letting that truck go as it was lots of fun to drive. I'm up in Northern Ontario Canada we get blasted with salt in the winter been fighting that with fluid film. When I was working in the mines they hauled the ore out on trucks that leached acid that was even worse than the salt for eating our vehicles.

I too like the kick panel vents and added them to both of my factory AC trucks.

The Model A was someone else's rod project. Previous owner had added a Jag XKE torsion bar front suspension and a modified Vette rear. I added a Chev 350 and modified the bell housing to mount a Ford top loader behind that, top loader was modified to add a Jeep stick so shifter is located close to the stock location. Need to make a custom pilot bushing and a drive shaft and then onto body work to repair rusted out areas.

Sorry can't help much with the 429 AOD swap but it does sound like a interesting project to tackle.

Paul
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for the backstory John!

My grandmother had a '70's Country Squire with a 429, C6 and (probably 2.75's)
That thing was like a rocket powered barcalounger from 60-125!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I wanted to move to Pokie 35 years ago..
Before the mass migration.  

Craters of the moon is surreal.  
The whole state of Idaho is BEAUTIFUL!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Old 1 Ton
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Hi Mat, The AOD I have is from Monster Transmission, Part # MG4-AOD. This is the link to the Trans https://www.monstertransmission.com/AOD-Heavy-Duty-Performance-Transmission-4x4-with-Free-Transmission-Fluid_p_5082.html I know nothing about AOD transmissions except for what books and information I have researched. A better trans might have been the E4OD, but the AOD is lighter (remember I'm getting weaker @70years), no computer and a slimmer & shorter fit. My drag racing days are over. I am trying to get better MPG now. The 429 had 480 ft. tq. so said the factory in 1971. I wanted to use its original DOVE-C heads but got talked out of them for Aluminum no name jobs (I kept my DOVE heads). Cam is now a HYD Roller Bullet 279/285-12HR ... Dur 223/228 & Lift 588/592 with LSA 112. Intake is WEIAND STEALTH... https://www.429-460.com/t2627-bbf-intake-shootout It will be the same set-up as 429CJ with Q-jet carb and Ram Air/Cold Air induction. My 429 was run on an engine stand, but not on a DYNO so your guess as to Torque will be much better than mine. Thank you so much for the interest in my Old Truck. Ever notice how people like to talk about their stuff … so thank you! I like advice, (because it’s free 😊) so don’t hesitate in giving it. John
John,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
in stock form the e40d might have been a better choice but I'm sure the choice you made should do well. I diagnosed (full disassemble) one of my own aod's today. I found a couple weaknesses and will be headed to the parts wholesaler in the morning. a couple bits to restock. a bit disappointing how I, hobbyist, stock more than all of the parts stores around me.
 follow every bit of the setup instructions from monster. use a gauge in the tv port to set the tv pressure. this gets more important the more torque you put to it.